Recommendation? Any Recommendation for $40-80 EDC Folders

I need your guy's recommendation for an EDC Folder between $40-80-
It doesn't matter made in USA or China

Welcome to the forums Taigu.

I still feel that the Ontario Rat 1 or Rat 2 (depending on what size blade you want) in D2 steel is one the best value blades out there. Spend an extra few $ for the D2 vs Aus 8 steel.

Steel Will has the Cutjack, Mini Cutjack, and Modus in D2.

Kizer has a ton of offerings in your price range.

Cold Steel Code 4 is a great knife if you like metal handles (I prefer G10 or micarta myself).

You could always go Swiss Army Knife too (SAK).

At the top of your range ($80) is the G-10 Massdrop Ferrum Forge Gent, built by WE. I have the more expensive carbon fiber version, and I would easily expect this knife to have been $200 at least.

Flipper on bearings, G-10 over titanium, CPM-S35VN. This knife kicked my $350 Bailey model 2 out of the number 1 spot.

For less than $80, look at Kershaw and some Spyderco's.

I really like the new Buck 112 Slim Pro, about $80, it comes with S35V steel, or you can get the standard 420HC steel in the regular Slim line. I also have the Manly Wasp in Sandvik, soma little less, but I have heard good reports of the S90V version but the cost may be more than your stated budget.

A third for the Rat 2 in D2, the appearance is not impressive, the function is.

A Leek is a good starting point, if you are ok with assisted opening. Lots of options for color and materials. Also it’s a knife that non knife people will not be scared of, and be impressed by. If that matters.

Kershaw Injection Liner Lock (3.5" Bead Blast) 3830

MSRP: $59.95
Our Sale Price: $13.99!
(32)
Stock Available, Discontinued

Item #BHQ-14794
Specifications
  • Overall Length:8.00"
  • Blade Length:3.50"
  • Blade Thickness:0.12"
  • Blade Material:8Cr13MoV
  • Blade Style Drop Point
  • Blade Grind:Flat
  • Finish:Bead Blast
  • Edge Type:plain
  • Handle Length:4.50"
  • Handle Thickness:0.55"
  • Handle Material:G-10
  • Color:Black
  • Frame/Liner:Stainless Steel
  • Weight:4.40 oz.
  • User:Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip:Tip-Up
  • Knife Type:Manual
  • Opener:Thumb Stud
  • Lock Type:Liner Lock
  • Brand:Kershaw
  • Model:Injection
  • Model Number:3820
  • Designer:Todd Rexford
  • Country of Origin:China
  • Best Use:Everyday Carry
Description
The Injection 3.5 folder is a Todd Rexford design with milled G-10 scales and a stout liner lock frame. It features custom details that include a decorative pivot, machined countersunk thumb stud and a chamfered backspacer too. The flat ground drop point blade has a bead blast finish and plain cutting edge. The Injection is loaded with all the things you'd want in an everyday carry knife, including a reversible tip-up carry pocket clip.

The Injection 3.5 is the larger version of the Injection model, and has the same custom features as the regular version, the Injection 3.0 knife.

Off the top of my head, my favorite in that range is the Spyderco Delica 4. Absolutely great knife. One of the must have knives in my opinion.

Also have the Rat 2 in D2, have not carried it much, but great size.

BHQ has the Kershaw Injection as noted above for under $15, and Cold Steel Pro Lite Sport for $22.

You could get both of those for under $40 if you wanted to.

Best in your price range is probably the Spyderco Delica in VG-10.

Rat, Cutjack, Kershaw Emerson CQC-7K, Civivi's...

What kind of knife are you looking for?

Civivi Statera. But if you can bump up the budget just a bit I think USA Made Blade still has a few M390 Kershaw Knockouts left. They are probably the one of the best value for dollar folders on the market. @whitty can tell you more, and maybe specs cause I'm to lazy to link it!

Last edited:
I agree with the others, RAT 2 or Delica.

But, the Injection for $15 surprised the hell out of me. It finds its way in my pocket quite often.

Rat 1 or 2 in D2, Steel Will, Civivi, Kizer Vanguard series, Kershaw, there are SO many good options out there right now. It really comes down to which design options you are looking for. Assisted opening, manual opening with a flipper tab, thumb studs, spyder hole? Liner lock or back lock? In any case let us know what you decide to get...with a picture of course ;)

The Civivi line is absurdly high quality for knives that start at $42. The basic Massdrop Gent (satin blade G10 version) is also a great option if you need/prefer a smaller blade. Both are made by WE Knives.

Couple brands that 1st come to mind for me in that
>$50 but <$100
Range

Buck or Case
Stedemon or Kizer
Kizlyar Supreme
Cold Steel

They all make a pretty decent sub $100 (sub $80 even) knife, with decent enough support through trusted dealers.
And between them all they cover dang near every style you may be after.

Personally, I wouldn't even hesitate to go after a Kershaw, CRKT, or Boker+ in that price range, (typically the range where many of their "better" models fall), if I really liked the size, shape, design, etc, and it just ticked all of the boxes for me.

Real Steel has built their selves a decent reputation as well, more specifically in that price range...

Last edited:
The Kershaw Link will cost you around 50 bucks. The Link is a good knife, price is within your budget, plus it is made in the USA which is a bonus.

Back