Any sensible reason for BM to discontinue the 806D2

I searched the internet and found no dealers who had a 806D2. Then I pulled up all the BM dealers in a 50 mi. radius of my house and came up with one dealer who had two 806SD2's.Both had the four possible clip locations. Why would such a good knife that was in such demand go discontinued????
That dealer now has one.

Joe Dirt

Banned
I agree. If I could find an 806D2 in PE I would buy it. That's a damn fine knife.

Reissue, maybe?

I myself am disappointed at this. I have the combo edge; been wanting a PE for years.

Now there's none. :(

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
No. The BM 805 and 721 shouldn't have been DC'D either.:mad:

One thing I wish about the 805, they should have used a newer premium steel. 440C is fine, but 154CM and ATS34 are generally perceived as better. Got the M2HSSR version and 440C versions (plain and serratted), great blade shape, and thumb studs.

I was also annoyed they discontinued the 806D2, a great EDC knife.

But, Benchmade is a business and I am not privy to their sales numbers. I suspect the market was slow for these models and only sped up when they were discontinued. The old "I want one, but I can get it later" routine. Most of us do it, it's life.

Sal of Spyderco mentioned the phenomena also.

orthogonal1 said:
But, Benchmade is a business and I am not privy to their sales numbers. I suspect the market was slow for these models
Right on the nose. If those models made good money for the company, they'd still be around. Sadly that is the "sensible reason" they were dropped.

NIB

After handling one this weekend at a gun show, I'd say stupidity has no boundries. Nothing in their catalog appeals to me anymore.

DGG

Why isn't Benchmade selling them. The question is very simple to answer. KNIFE OWNERS WERE NOT BUYING ENOUGH OF THEM FOR BENCHMADE TO KEEP MANUFACTURING THEM! BENCHMADE COULDN'T SELL THEM!

Does anyone think that if they were being sold and Benchmade was making a profit off them that they would discontinue them? Come on!

Maybe that shows that some knife knuts need a little more education as it is/was a great knife, IMHO.

I've handled a few on different occasions...very nice knives but they just did'nt have much appeal for some reason.

Now a better question would be...why did they ever stop making the Crawford Leopard?!?

Allen.

First thing that comes to mind is that they are not selling.

I don't claim to know anything about BM sales numbers, but I can't imagine them discontinuing a knife that was flying off the shelves and making them tons of money.

It may very well be a fine knife, but if BM isn't selling enough of them to make it worthwhile, then what sensible reason would they have for NOT discontinuing it?

BM must have saturated the southpaw knife enthusiast market with the 806D2 Axis. It is the only "tactical" folder I have more than one of. I think the real reason it is discontinued is that it was creeping towards mass market unaffordability amid a sea of offshore crap with a similar look, but nowhere near the performance or build quality. Many people I have met or read on the boards have lusted after the AFCK in its various forms, but most must have balked at the price tag. My first one was about $100.00 My last one was $145.00. Of course everyone who could never justify the purchase wants one now that they're gone.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have always found the "spydie hole," the steel, the comfortable amount of handle, tip up or tip down, left or right pocket carry, pretty unbeatable for a "serious" EDC.

That it gives certain people, like my father-in-law, the willies every time he sees one come out of my pocket does nothing but enhance why I bought AFCKs in the first place.

An era has passed at Benchmade. If we see an AFCKII, it will probably be a glorified Griptilian or a Taiwan build. I won't be buying the successor as just about anything shy of an American made AFCKII in satin S30V is going to get me to bite.

Joe Dirt

Banned
I have to agree about Benchmade's dim offerings. It seems as they have gotten rid of about every nice looking full G10 handled knife. Now all they have left are a few goofy looking knives made out of Aluminum or only partial G10.

I have to say I hope they lose their butt in sales so they can bring back or redesign better looking stuff.

oldrifleman

Platinum Member
Interesting, I have recently been bitten by the BM bug and happen to like many of their knives. I don't like the spidy hole thing, give me a double thumb stud and axis lock anyday. Steven