Anyang 25 ton press.

jdm61

itinerant metal pounder
Has anyone actually laid eyes on this beast? I have only seen the demo videos shot in China or so it appears. Looks interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not personally I think Jim Poor has one. Saw a vid of him operating it a while back. Looks like a killer press

I found one on Alibaba for $2000-$2500. Who knows what that means end price though. Shipping would be a good chunk I imagine. You can get a good stateside press for around $3000-$3500 now so $2500 isn’t exactly a screaming good deal.

I sent an email to the USA distributor.

I’d love to see a affordable press become available.

Been seeing them on instagram, lots of pics & vids. They sell out pretty quick each shipment that comes in. Looks like a good press.

It looks pretty industrial burly and the no hoses part seems appealing. I hadn't really focused on how much harder a 25 ton (27 "Murican tons in this case because the 25 rating is metric tons/2200 pounds) press squishes compared to a 16-18 ton press like mine until I saw a demo by a guy who has both a 16 and a 25. I have seen the factory demo with James Johnson where that press flattens a 1.75 round bar of 1045 with flat dies like nothing.
Been seeing them on instagram, lots of pics & vids. They sell out pretty quick each shipment that comes in. Looks like a good press.

They have some fairly sophisticated valving/pump in the press somewhere I think, it's pretty fast. 2-1/4 IPS or so extend speed, which is good and fast but not unheard of, but double that in return speed which is smart. No pressure really on the retract, which means if you can control it to do so, you can really boost the speed on that part of the cycle.
You can see the ram contact the metal fast, then slow down in an arc as it squishes, so maybe not a two speed pump but some sort of hydro circuit that does a similar thing in a smoother fashion.
Looks like a powerful machine with very solid slide to me, dunno about the t-slot platens for die holders but I'm sure it works well if they are releasing it into the wild as such. I can just see a lot of scale building up in there, but cleaning a machine now and then is actually a thing.

Yeah, the t-slot setup is interesting, but the one thing that I did notice is that the stroke appears to be an inch or two longer than some of the other commercially available presses so you might just be able to fit a die holder plate to the t-slot thingie and operate as you usually do with giving up much clearance. The specs also seem to claim that the t-slot platen is 7 x 11!!!
They have some fairly sophisticated valving/pump in the press somewhere I think, it's pretty fast. 2-1/4 IPS or so extend speed, which is good and fast but not unheard of, but double that in return speed which is smart. No pressure really on the retract, which means if you can control it to do so, you can really boost the speed on that part of the cycle.
You can see the ram contact the metal fast, then slow down in an arc as it squishes, so maybe not a two speed pump but some sort of hydro circuit that does a similar thing in a smoother fashion.
Looks like a powerful machine with very solid slide to me, dunno about the t-slot platens for die holders but I'm sure it works well if they are releasing it into the wild as such. I can just see a lot of scale building up in there, but cleaning a machine now and then is actually a thing.

I wonder if it doesn't have a variable piston pump. That would be the cats ass for making a press more controllable. Rather than a spool valve you vary the tilt of the swashplate, increasing or decreasing the volume of fluid per rev. Easy to feather the speed of the ram with the benefit of tonnage actually increasing as ram speed decreases.

They're just incredibly expensive compared to gear rotor pumps we typically see. Which might account for why they're close to cost of domestic machines.

A forge press and/or power hammer has been on my wish list for a while now. Squishing red hot steel looks like so much fun.

Yeah, the reputation of those hammers seems to have gotten a fair bit better since Anyang hooked up with distributors in the West like Mr. Johnson.
I'm not a fan of Chinese made stuff, but James Johnson seems to be doing a good job with Anyang. Much like Top Clark was doing with his hammers.

This post came at the perfect time. I'm currently rounding up parts for my press build and I like the speed of this press. i did some research on it and found some extra data. Its all in metric so i will convert it.

Work speed under load is .314 in/min
Stroke speed is 3.54 up and 2.04 in/min down
max rated pressure is 3626psi
cylinder is 4.5" and ram is 3.14"

According to my math that's a pump putting out 1.3gpm in high pressure and 8.5gpm in low pressure.

Work speed under load is .314 in/min
Stroke speed is 3.54 up and 2.04 in/min down
max rated pressure is 3626psi
cylinder is 4.5" and ram is 3.14"

Steel will be frozen until the press reaches it in that speed :D

I found this data :thumbsup:
fast up speed .............. 4.48 inches per second
fast down speed ............ 2.28 inches per second

If this press has as much grunt as it appears to have on video, the one of these and even the small 33 pound hammer might be all than most smiths would need. It is still a 25 tonner so it's not going to squish a 6 inch long billet down by 40% all at once like the big 40-5- ton "flatbed" presses can, but it still looks pretty powerful compared to what I am use too.

If this press has as much grunt as it appears to have on video, the one of these and even the small 33 pound hammer might be all than most smiths would need. It is still a 25 tonner so it's not going to squish a 6 inch long billet down by 40% all at once like the big 40-5- ton "flatbed" presses can, but it still looks pretty powerful compared to what I am use too.

I greatly regret not buying a 33lb Anyang hammer when I had the opportunity once. You're not gonna do any huge damascus, but it's about the sweetest knife forging machine ever, and about as portable as a power hammer can get. I have a fantasy about buying a sail boat, shoe-horning a small knife shop into the forward hold (grinder, baby bench top surface grinder, a few precision drill presses, etc) and mount a small hammer like this to the deck. With a filled base, you could run one of these without any real foundation under it pretty easily. Lol, never happen, but it's fun to consider. ;)

IIRC, John the Massey Guy used to be the UK rep for Anyang and he used to drag one of those little "woodpeckers" around to hammer-ins.
I greatly regret not buying a 33lb Anyang hammer when I had the opportunity once. You're not gonna do any huge damascus, but it's about the sweetest knife forging machine ever, and about as portable as a power hammer can get. I have a fantasy about buying a sail boat, shoe-horning a small knife shop into the forward hold (grinder, baby bench top surface grinder, a few precision drill presses, etc) and mount a small hammer like this to the deck. With a filled base, you could run one of these without any real foundation under it pretty easily. Lol, never happen, but it's fun to consider. ;)

Just saw pics of one of these from a google image search for press dies and was wondering who was making them. I'm about to pull the trigger on the coal iron 25 ton, but if this things price is drastically less, might consider it. Anyone know what it's selling for stateside from the distributor?

Just saw pics of one of these from a google image search for press dies and was wondering who was making them. I'm about to pull the trigger on the coal iron 25 ton, but if this things price is drastically less, might consider it. Anyone know what it's selling for stateside from the distributor?
Those seem to be a real nice, well made USA press.

Back