Anyang 25 ton press.

The Whitmus press and mill still look the most badass to me, but they were expensive back then and I don't know if they are still being made. They were like $6500 for one machine and a power unit a number of years ago IIFC. But I think that if you bought both the press and mill, you only needed one power unit. I may be wrong.

Just got a quote back from him for the 25 ton. $5,950.

That takes care of that idea...

I'm looking for a press, and sadly the prices of all the presses discussed in this thread have gone up A LOT (about $1,000) because of the tariffs.

The Anyang is now $6,800
The McNabb is now $7,250
The Coal Iron is now $5,950

:(

Wow! The McNabb or similar press has almost doubled in price over the last 10 years or so it would seem.

I was completely ready to pull the trigger on the Anyang... before it jumped $1,000 because of the tariffs.
Then I got a quote from the Coal Iron guys at Blade, and by the time I was ready to write a check (2 weeks later), the price jumped $900.

I'm seriously thinking of building one...

Is the McNabb press the only one made in the USA ?

Coal Iron is made here. So is the Uncle Al press.
Making one yourself though, has never been a better option. Especially if you use second-hand steel.

What is your opinion on using a log splitter as a base for a forge press? Of course I’d convert it from gas to electric. From what I understand, the main concern is ram speed. Do you know of any ways to speed up ram speed with a log press?

The thing is, I feel confident in my ability to build a press structurally with the steel and welding. Just not so confident in my ability to build the hydraulic system. That is why I was think of building one from a log splitter.

What do you think?

You can change the pump to a higher volume pump and make the ram faster. A 16 ton splitter can work pretty good as a press.

I realize this is an incredibly open-ended question, but I'm assuming that building a press is around a month of weekends?
I'm a pretty competent welder and fabricator...

What's going through my head is the amount of forge time I'd give up.

Back