Anyone else disgusted with ebay prices?

Some of those bidders have more money than sense. I hope the bottom falls out on the Schrade market then I would like to see what a $150 51OT is really worth. If find any more Schrades it will be at knife shows/flea markets/antique shops.

philw said:
Some of those bidders have more money than sense. I hope the bottom falls out on the Schrade market then I would like to see what a $150 51OT is really worth. If find any more Schrades it will be at knife shows/flea markets/antique shops.

Fleabay is doing that to everything, not just Schrade knives. It's a whole new ballgame with the internet. :eek:

we might as well face it, with the introduction of the internet, and accesability to it growing daily, there will be no more flea markets or antique stores in the future. getting a item online is tricky, cause u have to have trust and its like buying a "pig in a poke", but i myself am guilty of buying knives from ebay. there is alot of "price gouging" online, but good deals and honest folks are still out there. yesterday i was able to visit the flea market in anderson sc, and i was amazed at what some people were paying for knives. i saw a old timer, not a very old one mind u, sell for $40, and there was another just like it in better condition a few rows away for $10. as long as there is a demand for schrade, it aint going anywhere. but in my experience, i like to look at a knife, feel it, and just handle it before i buy it. there are some i am not able to obtain like that, so i take the risk, but i prefer to have my hands on it before i break down and buy it with a smile.

ClintB

BANNED
I've just started browsing on line for knives. I've scored on 4 nice BM knives from #bay. You really have to pay attention and set a limit, sometimes you luck out. I usually set my limit at 2/3 of what the clearance house prices are set at.

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Now and then you get a bargain. Found an 858OT for $22 recently.

I think this forum has contributed to the run-up in Schrade knife prices on eBay.
When I found this forum my attitude toward knives was that they were a tool and I wasn't interested in buying any Schrades except the 34OT,which has been my "carry" knife for 25 years.I had my Dad's Marbles Woodcraft and a Buck Skinner for carrying during the bear and deer seasons.
In the last 2 months,I've added seven 34OT's,two 897UH's,one 8OT,one 167UH,two 147OT's,one 7OT,and two of Codger's darned Sharpfingers.
This is the result of frequenting this forum every day and reading Codger's rants and Richards,Larry's,Phils,Dale's,Sheathmaker's and other's informative posts.
Looking at the knife pictures that are posted on here,also adds to the desire for more knives.
The willingness and generosity of the regulars to share info and answer my stupid questions also contributes to this forums increasing popularity.In many forums,if you aren't a regular,your posts may go unanswered or get flamed.
Thanks,guys,I think I may have the fever!:D

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Just remember, if you buy or build a new house next to mine, it makes my property value (and taxes) go up. We are fueling the market value to a tiny degree by increasing the interest and knowledge about this brand.

Or at least I would like to think so.

But there-in lies the rub. We also increase the price of the knives we love so much.

I bought one of those santa's workshop watch and knife tin combos a few months back for about $20. I saw the same thing on ebay go for over $100 a few weeks ago.

It's all about supply and demand, or someone thinking there is no supply.

Happy hunting...

Glenn

I purchased a carbon bladed 7-ot on ebay that looked like it was new and was listed as only having a couple small dark spot's on the blade but when it arrived i noticed that the seller had got ahold of it with a power polisher and had heated the blade to the point of darn near useless!

I got a 94OT for $15 yesterday, you gotta stick to your guns (limit) be patient and be prepared for ALOT of "outbid" notices in your inbox.:)

Codger_64

Guys, I am as guilty as anyone, more than some, of promoting the collectability of Schrade knives. I considered it long and hard before I posted my research here. I considered printing and selling the pattern rants. I considered not sharing what I have learned.

I've made it a habit of looking at the number of "guests" at the bottom when I sign on. Sometimes as many as eight or ten there. I see eBay sellers using my words, information so obscure that it had to come from reading what others and I have posted here.

No doubt, a small percentage of the millions of people who use eBay read the information posted here, but it is a significant number, or this forum would have been deleted when Schrade went down in flames, not renamed and grown to what you see today. A large part of the growth, both of information and posting members, is directly due to the friendliness and unselfishness of the people here. I like to think that our collective values reflect the "old timer" values we attribute to the Schrade company, Schrade knives, and the craftspersons who made them. Honesty, good value for the dollar, and a quality product.

I have studied the patterns and the prices of Schrade knives continuously since July of 2004, obviously not as long as many here, but long enough, and intensely enough to see trends, get a feel for who is buying what, and I buy what I want, generally at a price that I consider a bargain. Hopefully, the information I have freely shared on this forum has helped others to buy wisely, to increase their collections, or to be an informed seller able to honestly describe their knife. I don't feel bad at all for whatever role I have played in the escalation of prices, however insignificant. While Imperial Schrade is gone and never will be again, the surviving product (and that is a much larger stock than most imagine) deserves proper recognition and respect among collectors and users alike. If my research has helped spread the appreciation and therefore influenced the increase in market value of these knives, so be it.

All this said, here is an insider tip. Buy more sharpfingers. They only made a few (30 years worth '74-'04) million of them, and someday the supply will run out. All that will be left will be the knockoffs.:D

Codger

Codger 64 said: I like to think that our collective values reflect the "old timer" values we attribute to the Schrade company, Schrade knives, and the craftspersons who made them. Honesty, good value for the dollar, and a quality product.
I'll second that.

my opinion is ebay is too big and out of control, i know some people love paypal but i'm not going to let any internet site dictate to me that i will use paypal just because they own them now. also why is it that when i'm just about ready to bid on an old automatic like schrade or edgemaster, they decide to pull them, there has to be other sites out there that i can deal with...

Codger_64 said:
Guys, I am as guilty as anyone, more than some, of promoting the collectability of Schrade knives. I considered it long and hard before I posted my research here. I considered printing and selling the pattern rants. I considered not sharing what I have learned.

I've made it a habit of looking at the number of "guests" at the bottom when I sign on. Sometimes as many as eight or ten there. I see eBay sellers using my words, information so obscure that it had to come from reading what others and I have posted here.

No doubt, a small percentage of the millions of people who use eBay read the information posted here, but it is a significant number, or this forum would have been deleted when Schrade went down in flames, not renamed and grown to what you see today. A large part of the growth, both of information and posting members, is directly due to the friendliness and unselfishness of the people here. I like to think that our collective values reflect the "old timer" values we attribute to the Schrade company, Schrade knives, and the craftspersons who made them. Honesty, good value for the dollar, and a quality product.

I have studied the patterns and the prices of Schrade knives continuously since July of 2004, obviously not as long as many here, but long enough, and intensely enough to see trends, get a feel for who is buying what, and I buy what I want, generally at a price that I consider a bargain. Hopefully, the information I have freely shared on this forum has helped others to buy wisely, to increase their collections, or to be an informed seller able to honestly describe their knife. I don't feel bad at all for whatever role I have played in the escalation of prices, however insignificant. While Imperial Schrade is gone and never will be again, the surviving product (and that is a much larger stock than most imagine) deserves proper recognition and respect among collectors and users alike. If my research has helped spread the appreciation and therefore influenced the increase in market value of these knives, so be it.

All this said, here is an insider tip. Buy more sharpfingers. They only made a few (30 years worth '74-'04) million of them, and someday the supply will run out. All that will be left will be the knockoffs.:D

Codger

Well said,Codger !!
I,for one,appreciate greatly the information and insight that you and the other regulars have given freely !!
Thank you !!
As far as eBay prices,I feel that there are many bargains available.
I just spent 4 days and traveled 700 miles while visiting my son in rural New York and found few Schrade knives and fewer bargains.Sure,I found some private hardwares and sporting goods stores that still had a few folders but all were priced at the MSRP at the time they received them from the distributor.
An example is the 897UH - I found two and the prices were $37.95 and $35.95 - plus tax.In addition,they didn't have boxes for them. Now,I seem to recall several recent ads on the bay where you could pick up a new one for about $28-$32 total,including shipping.
Private stores aren't governed by an inventory control manager who directs them to chop prices in order to get rid of obsolete inventory,like the big chain stores are. Most of the KMarts,Walmarts,etc. got rid of their inventory long ago.
You can spend a lot of time and serious vehicle mileage costs while running around the country and come up "dry".
I do see a lot of stupid bidding on eBay.Sellers love it when two eager buyers keep upping the bid even when the ad has 3-4 days more to run.
This ain't Nascar,boys! You don't get anything for laps led!:( :thumbdn:
With roughly 2000 schrade ads on eBay and an average ad duration of 7 days,you get to see about 300 knives go under the gavel every day and some are bargains.
You will also buy cheaper from May to November,as most people have outdoor activities that keep them away from the net.I sell only during the months of January thru April,as there is much more traffic on the net then.People are indoors more ( at least,we northerners are) and sales are better.November and December are probably good selling months,but that's hunting season and I sure wont be tied to the PC at that time.Except for checking the Schrade forum!!:D

textoothpk

BANNED
I love eBay. I sell as much as I buy, so high prices are evened out. I sell other ways as well: A couple local gun/knife shows, gun club shows, a year and by consignment at shops and stuff. I'll even stick an ad in the paper once in a while. And most importantly, my selling has let me build up a core of buyers who simply ask me to keep a look out for something and when I find it let them know the price. Period. Oh, on Ebay I really, really cater to the international buyer. Customs forms are a breeze once you've learned how to do it and your friendly Postal worker will help you send it.

You note I started this post out with selling.. not buying. That is because my hobby, knife collecting, is supported solely by selling. I don't sell, I don't buy. And I've come to enjoy the selling (and the trading, wheeling, dealing, ect) as much as the hobby of collecting itself. I'd call the selling a 'sport' actually.

Other places to buy besides ebay, most listed above. But again, I use an ad in the local paper. I'm specific about what I seek, and can cull unwanted ones over the phone. I freaking cleaned up on Schrades a year ago, before non-knife people knew that the company was out of business.

I use one really passive/agressive method to find knives to buy so I can sell them at a profit, or sell what I have on hand, or can get for someone: A knife hat pin on every jacket and coat I own. Or I wear a Knife logoed shirt in the milder months. Starts many a conversation that leads to me ending up looking at 'dad's old knife collection' or "Hey, can you get me (fill in the blank)?"

I have good relationships with a couple of sweet ladies who own antique shops. The best pawnshop in town has my phone number. So do a couple of gun dealers. The local knife shop does not sell a Schrade before I have a chance to come in and look at it.

I'm no genius... any of you guys could do this as well. Works for me, but again, I do enjoy every aspect of it.

Hey, how many of you guys remember collecting knives BEFORE eBay and the internet??? Knife and gun shows and you had to travel and get there early. Or lists from advertisers in the back of knife magazines (still a good way to do it, there are still a few old timers not familiar with the internet or eBay).

There. All my secrets. At least what works for me. Biggest thing is, if you don't enjoy making your hobby self-supporting, don't do it. And reserve the money you do make for buying knives only! You start paying the phone bill with it, it sucks every bit of pleasure (what I call the 'sport') out of it.

Phil

this is why i love this forum,its honest, and as long as there are people like phil and codger on here, i will be too. this thread covers so much more than u could ask for. in 14 posts the issue is covered like ty cobb running the bases! codger, i do appreciate every post u make, i have learned more on this site in a short time than i could have on my own. thanks codger for the informative posts u make. geez, is it just me or does everyone feel excited about getting up to read these forums??

Codger_64

Buy contrary to the trends. Unless you are a single pattern collector, make a list of the patterns you need/want. When one is up/in demand, another will be down/less desirable. Buyers, I am sure you have noticed, can be very fickle, this week's hot pattern neglected next week, and this week's neglected patterns hot the next. Sometimes you will notice that sudden pattern interest coincides with our discussions here. It does not take more than a dozen interested Schradophiles, and a couple of lurking Schrade investors to drive up prices (temporarily) beyond their normal value for any one pattern. But when the need/want/interest in that pattern wanes, deals again abound.

I look forward to the day when the investors realize the folly of their expectations of great mid term appreciation of their purchases, and unload their acquisitions for cash to invest in the next fad. You've seen it happen already, I am sure, where a knife which sold above value was relisted by the buyer with an unreasonably high reserve, gets relisted later and sells for a reasonable price.

There are many portfolio venues with better returns than Schrades for investors. They are not as liquid as some have believed, and the market yo-yos on such a short lead time, it is hard to predict the demand a week out.

Codger

m not digusted with eBay, but I am often puzzled.

For instance, the $100 Old Timers like the 51OT and 41OT. Who in the hell would pay $100 for an Old Timer?!? I buy $100 knives often, but for my money I expect something much nicer than a plastic-handled Schrade.

And why the complete disinterest in the Belknap Old Timers? IMO, the "fringe" knives are more interesting and collectible than the mainstream Schrade models. I've also noticed the Ulster Old Times don't get much bidding attention either, even in mint condition.

Just joining the rant,
-Bob

I'm not disgusted with ebay per se but with the addition of insane bidders on some of these items. I also should have stated I probably won't find many OT's/UH's anytime soon that are a deal on ebay. There are definately some that are priced fair but I think trying to find a deal is about gone.

I am also puzzled why older/fringe Schrades are less popular. I can't comprehend why someone would pay over $100 for a plastic handled OT/UH.

I also have been ripped off twice on ebay. Both times it was for under $20 and ebay did not do anything to help. I even called one seller and was assured that the product was on it's way. A few days later they were banned from selling and I was never able to contact them again (phone disconnected). Both sellers had very good seller ratings, supposedly.:rolleyes:

I think the watch word(s) for ebay is "Buyer Beware." I have been over eager and gotten burned also. My bad. Anyone who assumes the seller is telling the truth all the time is sadly mistaken. Some sellers are deceptive, others really don't know what they are selling, (see #6595573582....pearlized Old Timers????), but I think most of the sellers are honest and enjoy what they are doing, like Phil. I have bought from Phil & LT and have always gotten more or better than what was listed. They are examples of the best of ebay sellers. There other sellers I have bought from that I trust. I try to shop the trusted sellers first (if they have what I am looking for that day).

I think the Schrade prices on eBay is an excellent example of capitalism in action. As Codger pointed out, once the interest of some of these new collectors wanes or is focused a new direction the prices will come down. In the long run, my children or perhaps grandchildren will someday sell my collection of knives and put one of their children through college, put a down payment on a house or something else significant. I will probably be long gone before that happens. In the meantime, I enjoy collecting Schrades as well as other knives. At the moment I am buying fewer knives because I have most of the basic knives that Schrade made in their later years of production. It's getting harder to find things that I don't have. Maybe I'll take a tip from Phil and only by knives with money earned from selling knives. That would probably make my wife very happy!

On the other hand maybe I'll just by more knives! :D

awwww, i agree with you guys i was just venting, it's just i get tired of ebay pulling some of the pushbuttons, i'm looking for that special one ,you know the one you always wanted. that's another thing i don't sell i just buy, and every once in a while i hear it from the wife