Anyone else disgusted with ebay prices?

That's got to be the record or close to it.
Been a member for 2 years and 98% of the negatives in the last 6 months !
Looks like he/she dealt in computers/electronics.That's a bad scene on eBay.

Really like that 2nd issue sheath on that 15OT !!

textoothpk said:
sdt11670... I got a very slightly used sheath for ya. Just email me your address. Find my email by clicking on my name and visiting my profile here.
No charge of course.
Phil

Email sent!

Concerning the knives illustrated in posts 38 and 39.... I'm of the opinion these knives would have sold for that much, or near it, at a knife show. To the high bidders they were certainly worth it.

And I didn't display the Sinatra knife I just purchased in my post above because I wanted to show off... I wanted to make a point. As a collector of Schrades, particularly those less-than-common ones, in that condition with all the complete packaging and stuff, I think I got a bargain. My last minute snipe bid was $162.00. That's how much the 'cool' factor affects me on something like this. I know there are many people who think that I would have been paying way too much, hell, seeing as how I won the auction, that DOES mean I overpaid. But again, it fits in with what I desire to own, display, enjoy. I'm not rich, I explain above where I get my funds for knife buying. I worked hard to make enough to buy the Sinatra and owning it is my reward. At least that is the way I look at it.

In the thread "Price guides" Lt wrote a very good little paragraph about the eBay factor in knife collecting. I also add here that I think it has really opened up the world of knife collecting to many people--new people- folks that live in areas without a good knife shop, where there are knife shows, people who have a disablity and cannot travel at all, ect.

My hint for ebaying for Schrades on a budget: Sharpen up your search parameters, find and look for those hidden buzz words that will turn you on to a treasure that only you will find. Deal with sellers with excellent feedback.

Phil

ps, Scott, your sheath is on the way to you today. I need nothing in return, this is simply the Schrade forum way of doing things. One reason I am proud to be in this community with you guys.

Phil,
I,for one,don't think you overpaid for that knife !!
People don't consider how much $$$$ you'd have spent,driving around the country to knife shows,flea markets,antique shops,yard sales,etc. looking for one; and you may have been unsuccessful !
And that doesn't include the TIME you'd have involved.An old geezer like me puts a pretty high value on time,because I'm running out of it!
That's the great thing about eBay,as you mentioned.You can find stuff on their that you'd never find near home.You can find items that you didn't know existed.
Enjoy your Sinatra !! We're happy you got it !:)
Ron

Got the knife today. "The Compleat Sinatra' was a book publshed in 1980, by Lonstein Publications. Where is Lonstein located? Why Ellenville, NY, of course.

My questions, which makes it all worth while... Why a knife to commemorate the publication of the book? I mean, I think it's a good idea, as do you guys, but in publishing circles? And how many were made, or was this a 'one off' to show the local company what Schrade could do for them? There is no serial number. I don't see a listing for this in BRLevine's guide. According to James Parker, the seller, this knife was part of the 'Irving Trachtenberg Collection' and of course the cheesy 'certificate of authenticity misspells the man's name. Jeeze..

Yep, all worth while.

Phil

Perhaps you can show us some better pictures of the etch than the eBay seller did. I like the one-off knives, with or without the certificate. Usually (though not always) the sample guys paid closer attention to the fit and finish of the stock selected for the application of their artistic touches.

And I don't disagree about the perceived value of NIB knives, particularly the vintage ones. Here are a few of the discussions about that subject from days past:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-352993.html
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116544&highlight=ebay

There are as many ways to collect knives as there are collectors. That is one of the things that makes this hobby so varied and interesting, and opens it to every budget, from meger to fat.

I have been considering changing directions with my own collection, turning some back into the market to acquire others. Several of us have done, or are doing that very thing. That is one of the things that keeps it all interesting, at least for me. I enjoy seeing and handling a wide variety of knives, but really have deepest interest in only a few patterns, other than the ones that represent the genisis of Schrade.

Codger

Glenn, I daresay, that if I were into pen knives, I would have bid a lot higher than what it went for. In that condition, easily worth $150.00 or more.

That is a wonderful knife in what appears to be excellent condition.
I am with redshanks......I am sure glad I am not a big fan of pen knives or that would really hurt, either to buy (and have my wife find out) or to lose the bid. :D :D :D

Glenn, you may already have one or more of these, but here's another interesting Schrade advertising knife listed on the bay:

57_1.JPG

redshanks said:
Glenn, you may already have one or more of these, but here's another interesting Schrade advertising knife listed on the bay:

57_1.JPG

Yes, I do have one of those, but mine is not an advertising knife. And that one looks to be mint. Is it yours? Neat knife idea that never really exploded...

Glenn

Nice one, but probably out of my budget by the end of the auction. Thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Glenn

Back