Anyone else make their own resin bonded stones?

So I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. My idea was to use UV 3D printer resin.
Nano Hone seems to make their stones by extruding or printing their diamond resin onto aluminum plates. Not UV Resin, but it clearly looks like extruded lines. Have a look at the link below and scroll down a bit on the page, they have some close up photos where one can see the extruded lines of abrasive. Pretty interesting!

I recently got myself a set of these Nano Hone diamond stones, but have not gotten around to testing them yet.

how does it seem to hold up? i still use mine daily. looks awesome, what did you end up making your mold with?
Thanks! I thought it was going to be awesome but It's too soft, I think. I can dig into it with my fingernail if I press hard. Impossible to apex the edge cleanly with any pressure at all. Less than the weight of the stone kinda works. I'm hoping I just didn't mix it well enough.

Instead of doing molds, I just walled off the top of a piece of aluminum stock with tape and cardboard. It works with this fast curing epoxy, but I don't know if I'd trust it for longer cures

Thanks! I thought it was going to be awesome but It's too soft, I think. I can dig into it with my fingernail if I press hard. Impossible to apex the edge cleanly with any pressure at all. Less than the weight of the stone kinda works. I'm hoping I just didn't mix it well enough.

Instead of doing molds, I just walled off the top of a piece of aluminum stock with tape and cardboard. It works with this fast curing epoxy, but I don't know if I'd trust it for longer cures
how long has your epoxy setup for? it took over a week for mine to stop allowing a nail mark or simply being able to slowly flex it to an arc. maybe even a hair over a week. it was hard to not want to use them

Bake it @120-140f for a few hours to achieve a full cure quickly. With some epoxies an elevated temperature post cure will improve the physical properties above what can be achieved with room temp cures. How well did you measure parts A and B? When I started measuring by weight with a very accurate scale my cures became wildly more consistent, even though I was using plastic cups with the graduations molded into them for accuracy before I got the scale.

Bake it @120-140f for a few hours to achieve a full cure quickly. With some epoxies an elevated temperature post cure will improve the physical properties above what can be achieved with room temp cures. How well did you measure parts A and B? When I started measuring by weight with a very accurate scale my cures became wildly more consistent, even though I was using plastic cups with the graduations molded into them for accuracy before I got the scale.
I made another stone last night and was more careful of my measurements (used scale for all .1g accuracy) slightly less diamond powder (.8g cm³) baked on warm for an hour or so and it turned out fantastic. Fyi, the epoxy must be harder than play-dough for these to work 🤣🤦

I would assume it is still relevant. I mean, unless all knives are now suddenly made of Kryptonite? 😄

I have somehow managed to make a temporary stone that is abrasive, but the serious problem here is that it gets dusted on the surface of the stone, making the ability to wear away known. Is there any way to solve it? I'm used Google Translate

I have somehow managed to make a temporary stone that is abrasive, but the serious problem here is that it gets dusted on the surface of the stone, making the ability to wear away known. Is there any way to solve it? I'm used Google Translate
all of them should wear. depending on how its made and how well your binder holds up. my stones shed more at the beginning and become smoother yet still keep cutting. minus the 80 grit. the binder for it isnt strong enough to keep that large of a particle from pulling out of its matrix. it still cuts well it also sheds alot more. theres a few things that also could be happening, excessive pressure or leading edge sharpening. both will eat a stone faster. my stones from 230 grit and up i usually do moderate pressure edge leading but that 80 grit sheds that much more when leading edge. it still doesnt lose alot just alot compared to the finer grits

52664276398_97caec3db9_b.jpg

My grindstone uses epoxy glue and aluminum oxide. The surface of the stone when used is attached to metal, reducing the abrasive effect. Why and how to fix it

52664276398_97caec3db9_b.jpg

My grindstone uses epoxy glue and aluminum oxide. The surface of the stone when used is attached to metal, reducing the abrasive effect. Why and how to fix it

Dress it with loose abrasive, that will do wonders to how well it works. I have found that anything less than diamond doesn't work very well with resin bonds, and I've tried nearly all of them. Although, 5 micron Alox resin bond does do a great job of replacing a strop.

Dress it with loose abrasive, that will do wonders to how well it works. I have found that anything less than diamond doesn't work very well with resin bonds, and I've tried nearly all of them. Although, 5 micron Alox resin bond does do a great job of replacing a strop.
What abrasive do you use?

What abrasive do you use?
Brown aluminum oxide and what grit depends on what grit is in the stone. If it is over 600 ANSI then 240 grit would be my pick. If you just want to clean it between dressings then Bar Keepers Friend, Comet, or alcohol work fine.

I have found that anything less than diamond doesn't work very well with resin bonds, and I've tried nearly all of them.

I'm assuming because it doesn't release abrasive easily enough, or is it something else? Do you see this same issue with professionally made aluminum oxide and resin stones?

Back