Anyone Remember Talonite?

Anyone remember when Talonite was the one of the first end all and do all of rustproof steel and a wonder steel back in the day? It could take a wonderful edge and a gent who is now dearly departed named Rob Simonich, (spelling?), popularized it. I have a couple knives made from it and I still like it. Any thoughts?

i remember Talonite, SM-100, and Stellite 6K (I have a knife with 6K). Tom Mayo used a couple of these in his knives. So did Strider. But only occasionally.

There are 3 kinds of Stellite bouncing around. The top knife in the picture is cast Boye Dendritic Cobalt (Stellite 6-B). The 2nd knife, a Camillus CUDA MAXX, has a Custom Stellite 6-K blade made by Darrel Ralph. The 3rd knife is a Camillus factory CUDA MAXX Talonite folder (Stellite 6-BH). The Stellite Alloys are about 50% Cobalt and 50% Chrome.
The knife that snuck into the photo is a Boker Cera-Titan folder with a Titanium blade infused with Titanium Carbide for wear resistance and Silver for improved ductility.IMG_2257.png

I was just thinking about Rob yesterday. He did the heat treat on some of my first knives. Overall great human being.

As for Talonite/Stellite, I have worked with it a total of 2 times and still have one of the folders I made from it. Not my favorite material. The edge cuts fiberous materials or meat VERY well and is rust proof, but it deforms too easily for my tastes.

I was just thinking about Rob yesterday. He did the heat treat on some of my first knives. Overall great human being.

As for Talonite/Stellite, I have worked with it a total of 2 times and still have one of the folders I made from it. Not my favorite material. The edge cuts fiberous materials or meat VERY well and is rust proof, but it deforms too easily for my tastes.
I would rather have an edge deformation than a chip. A deformed edge can be straightened on a brass rod (edge trailing).

Rob was a close friend who I miss pretty much daily. Here's some pix of Rob (and Christine) from our time together during Independence Day weekend, 2000, up at his place in Clancy, MT.

Another dear departed friend is Kit Carson. The Stellite 6k Model 16 dates back to one of the Blade Shows in the late 90's when I helped Kit man his table.

Gone but never forgotten. If I remember correctly, I had the privilege of introducing Rob to Kit at one of the shows.Simonich 2.jpgCarsonM16.jpgPikuni2.jpgTalisman.jpgsimonich 3.jpg

Yeah Rob was such a nice guy. I had the pleasure of spending the day with him at the OKCA show in Eugene, Oregon many years ago. I was walking around and noticed this huge cowboy hat bouncing up and down several aisles over and thought; “could that be who I think it is?. Sure enough it was Rob. 😄 We had great conversations and talked a lot about BF.

He was gracious enough to let me check out a couple of his Talonite blades and take them home and I bought both of them at a very reasonable price. Sorry that I let them go several years later. Yeah, sorley missed and why do the good die young as the old song goes?

Blues,
Nice pics of Rob. Thanks for posting them.

Speaking of Kit Carson, though I never met him in person, we became good friends online and in private conversations. To me he was the greatest and most talented knifemaker of them all. Not only was he an unbelievable knifemaker but also a skilled woodworker among many other talents. I must have had every model knife he made at one time or another.

I remember I traded a Beeman pellet rifle with him and he made me one of his BAK, (Big Ass Knife), with custom carbon fiber scales which were very rare at the time for the rifle.

Boy, do those Cuda MAXX’ sure bring back memories! Darrel made me MAXX #2 with a couple of alterations I requested. I carried that thing for a couple of years but sadly, like an idiot, I let it go.

Good stuff all!

Meant to post this here...accidently posted it on another thread...

Here is my one remaining folder I made in Stellite many years ago. Chisel ground wharncliffe. It definitely cuts well, but has a much more toothy edge even than S90V. And before anyone calls me on it, I did license the disc stabilizer from Rick Hinderer.

byjjRd0.jpg

jzY5e40.jpg

RUni1Hw.jpg

Yeah Rob was such a nice guy. I had the pleasure of spending the day with him at the OKCA show in Eugene, Oregon many years ago. I was walking around and noticed this huge cowboy hat bouncing up and down several aisles over and thought; “could that be who I think it is?. Sure enough it was Rob. 😄 We had great conversations and talked a lot about BF.

He was gracious enough to let me check out a couple of his Talonite blades and take them home and I bought both of them at a very reasonable price. Sorry that I let them go several years later. Yeah, sorley missed and why do the good die young as the old song goes?

Blues,
Nice pics of Rob. Thanks for posting them.

Speaking of Kit Carson, though I never met him in person, we became good friends online and in private conversations. To me he was the greatest and most talented knifemaker of them all. Not only was he an unbelievable knifemaker but also a skilled woodworker among many other talents. I must have had every model knife he made at one time or another.

I remember I traded a Beeman pellet rifle with him and he made me one of his BAK, (Big Ass Knife), with custom carbon fiber scales which were very rare at the time for the rifle.

Boy, do those Cuda MAXX’ sure bring back memories! Darrel made me MAXX #2 with a couple of alterations I requested. I carried that thing for a couple of years but sadly, like an idiot, I let it go.

Good stuff all!
You are bringing many fond memories for us old guys, Gene. Thanks! By the way, pretty sure we did some deals on JWS LDC-5's back in the old days, remember??👍👌

Hi Barry,
I sincerely apologize as I don’t remember but in my “advanced” age I can’t remember what I did 5 minutes ago. I do however remember those LDC-5’s. They were outstanding folders. Here’s an old, lousy B+W pic I dug up of 3 I had back in the day:

48EABB57-AB58-4BAA-A890-CE0638FCD931.jpeg

Top is an J.W.Smith LDC-5 with his original “top of the blade” thumb stud opener. Next is Kit’s BAK and bottom, Kit’s large Model #4 in CF and S90V.

I wanted to show a Talonite fixed blade that a great knifemaker named Paul Reynolds made for me years ago. Thankfully I still have it. Paul had some small pieces of Talonite left over from a contest where he made some blades for the contest. He was one back then that helped perfect a semi gloss polish on Talonite that many knifemakers were having a hell of a time doing.

We became friends and spent many an hour on the phone discussing knives. We got on the subject of Talonite and he mentioned he had some small pieces of it left and said he wanted to make me a knife from one of the pieces. He said if I didn’t like it, keep it. How could I refuse an offer like that! Here’s what showed up. Please excuse the lousy pics as I’m very lacking on stuff like that.

5405ADA5-8919-4EAA-A1E7-C64D4EF1BCA3.jpeg
78510410-D3BD-426E-8C81-5255E0976E0F.jpegF39E2894-C221-43AC-AF85-1940B684A7C3.jpeg61981634-26FA-49CC-8D7B-AAEC551381F8.jpeg

Yeah, I liked it! Beautiful Masur Birch scales, mosaic pins, full tang with red liners. The Talonite blade is a little out of balance when compared to the handle but he said he wanted the handle to be more hand filling for better purchase. He gave me a very reasonable price and I bought a few other custom miniature folders from him that he made up special for me. Mini folders were one of his specialties.

Paul had just recovered from battling cancer and had put a halt on his knife making and making these knives for me thrilled him and got him back in the groove. Unfortunately as things happen in life, he kind of disappeared awhile after all this and I tried locating him to no avail. I feared his cancer had resurfaced. Kit even offered to locate him too but like me, had no luck.

I apologize for the long drone but just wanted to share. Again Barry, sorry I can’t remember our dealing together but it’s par for the course for me nowadays.

Back