Anyone Remember Talonite?

Hoka hey!

Nice thread! How about some gunner grips too. One I won’t ever part with, I believe this is one of three Crowfoot in Talonite

onngvYP.jpg

Nice addition to the thread abo4ster. Thanks for the pic. Yeah Christine kept his memory and website going as long as she could.

abo4ster. Nice photo, BUT it reminded me I have one of the knives, the one on the far right, that I have not seen in years. Now I will have to search for it. John

There was a lot of talk about Talonite in the early 2000s but I have not heard about it in many years.
I got some Talonite from Rob at a Blade Show in the very early 2000s and made one or two tantos from it - can´t remember. I guess Flavio Ikoma got some at the same ocasion but I don´t remember for sure.
Rob was a great guy and it was a shock when I heard about his passing.

Kind of neat that this thread is bringing a lot of the “old timers” around. Like I stated earlier, I’ve been away for a long time only visiting here on and off and rarely.

I know that we had dealings together in the past, Chefget, Dawkind and John but I can’t remember them and I apologize. By the way Dawkind, you mentioning Tom Mayo brings back some semi-bad memories way, way back between him and I where I had to call him on his practices. I don’t mean to change the direction of this thread but I’m glad Tom’s become the super talented knifemaker that he is today.

It truly is amazing how many lives Rob touched in his short, wonderful life! He was truly a talented knifemaker! It’s also amazing that these steels like Talonite, (okay, Sellite 😄), have disappeared into the twilight and all these new steels have come aboard. It’ll never stop but most of the older “tried and trued” old steels will persevere where these “wonder steels” will not.

I’ve noticed that 3V has made a huge comeback recently. It’s a great tool steel but it will still rust like crazy. I had a couple of knives made from it years ago and it’s good, hardworking steel but to me D2 with it’s slightly higher chromium content that won’t rust as easily is superior. To each their own I say!

Thanks to all that contributed!

Wanted to
There was a lot of talk about Talonite in the early 2000s but I have not heard about it in many years.
I got some Talonite from Rob at a Blade Show in the very early 2000s and made one or two tantos from it - can´t remember. I guess Flavio Ikoma got some at the same ocasion but I don´t remember for sure.
Rob was a great guy and it was a shock when I heard about his passing.
Hello Ivan,
I received your email concerning we must have been in touch at one time or another and you were reconstructing your website. I do remember you made me some great deer stag beads several years ago. I ordered 5 and you shipped them right out. A couple of them were not quite up to snuff and I emailed you you to tell you about it and said no worries but just wanted you to know. You immediately said that was unacceptable and sent 5 more out to me! You are one of the good guys and I wanted folks to know. Glad you’re here!

Okay, okay, let’s get back on tract here. Sorry for all the distractions!

Wanted to

Hello Ivan,
I received your email concerning we must have been in touch at one time or another and you were reconstructing your website. I do remember you made me some great deer stag beads several years ago. I ordered 5 and you shipped them right out. A couple of them were not quite up to snuff and I emailed you you to tell you about it and said no worries but just wanted you to know. You immediately said that was unacceptable and sent 5 more out to me! You are one of the good guys and I wanted folks to know. Glad you’re here!

Okay, okay, let’s get back on tract here. Sorry for all the distractions!
Gene, if you got that e-mail, we sure have had some contact over ten years ago, wich is the time I lost all my e-mail contacts - and just found a copy recently so I sent a "hello" to everyone in it, but I definitivelly didn´t send you the beads because I never made or sold any bead in my life! Whoever it was, it is clearly a gentlemen, anyway.
This thread is really turning into a meeting of BF oldtimers, it seems!

Well Ivan, it proves I AM an old timer in more ways than one and thanks for correcting me! Your email did prove we had contact in the past and probably did some wheeling and dealing.

Yeah, I’m glad this thread brought back so many great memories to a lot of us. Thanks to all who have contributed! I will never forget all those years ago of finally getting a computer and then discovering BF and coming home after a hard day at work and excitingly talking knives well into the night.

Peace and good health to all of you!

There is a maker in our local knife club that uses alot of Stellite. His name is Jim Harrison (Seamus Knives). He gets alot of orders for his folders.

I became curious if there is any source for Talonite or Stelite 6k for knifemaking nowadays. Haven´t seen it advertised in well over a decade.

Alpha stocks it sometimes. Also, every once in a while you can find it on AMXInc.

Last edited:
Interesting it’s still viable.
Agreed. Seems like niche market, but he gets orders from all over the world from fisherman, boat workers, etc. that want a “rust proof” knife. He uses titanium and Stellite to achieve this. While not considered a hard use knife, it holds up very well when used for the application it was designed for.

Actually, even though it was a wonder back then, especially for it’s “rustproof” advantages that was a standout, it’s still a worthwhile steel even today. The main problem it had back then was cost which made it out of reach for most. Thanks for chiming in.

Another problem associated with Talonite, and I remember very well this part, is that it its a real belt eater.

I remember when talonite was the next big thing and have several knives in talonite. Two of which (Camulus Cuda & Talon) I've currently misplaced and hope to still find somewhere... * little frustrated can't currently find them *

I have one or two of Rob Simonich's custom knives and one which he collaborated with Trace Rinoldi on. The collaboration is a Rinaldi Damascus TKK with carbon fiber scales off a fighter plane and heat treat by Simonich if I remember correctly. It is the one Trace used to have on the home page of his website.

Back