Are bad slicers *really* bad slicers?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sharperthansticks, Dec 16, 2017.

1. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Carrots are my test as well :) If it shoots across the cutting board the knife is probably either getting sold or reground;)

~Chip

filedog, palonej, Mo2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    I find my cheapo kitchen knife slices better, even when dull, than my ZT301 at hair splitting sharpness.

I'm really not surprised though.

Mo2 likes this.
  3. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    That's a good test, and funny also.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    As if you need a test...all your knives I've handled have been WICKED slicers :D.

~Chip

palonej and Mecha like this.
  5. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Even the big one? X] My test is to slice through a slab or three of thick leather, veg and oil tanned, held in the hand like a sheet of paper. It should keep slicing through without being a pain in the arse. Then plane off some wood from the corners of a 2x4, without the knife wanting to dig down deep and bind up.

palonej, gadgetgeek and WValtakis like this.
  6. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I did a test with these two knives yesterday. The SAK has a stock 20dps edge. The Roundhead has a custom 15dps edge. Both were popping arm hair before I started. I cut up a cardboard box to slivers alternating between the knives.

[​IMG]

The Roundhead with the thinner angled edge (15dps) required double the physical effort for each cut. Double. It's thicker behind the edge. Says it all really for the OP's question and this is comparing two thin FFG blades. I've done a hollow grind (thin folding blade - LM Charge - 20dps) vs a FFG (thicker fixie - Chen Duty 1 - 20dps) with the same test and it was embarrassing just how much better the thicker fixie cut through that cardboard.

halden.doerge likes this.
  7. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    IMO, it depends on what you are cutting. If the media wedges your blade, the thinner the stock the better. Some examples for me include cutting styrofoam shipping containers, cutting think cardboard e.g. 1/4", or even cutting think blocks of cheese. Someone suggested cutting a raw potato, but I don't eat potatoes often.

Additionally, thicker handles tend to make hard cuts seem easier by spreading the force over a large portion of your hand.

8. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    “Bad Slicers” I’m going with user error or dull edge. Usually one causes the other more often than not.

9. Bill1170

Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    Fat carrots are a great kitchen test of slicing ability. My thinnest santoku can easily push cut four fat carrots at once. It is thin overall as well as very thin behind the edge. Awesome performance. Thin wins.

marcinek and Mecha like this.
  10. SV-97

SV-97

Aug 18, 2016
    I read a paper on the science behind cutting once; there it said that geometry Accounts for about 30% of cutting ability

11. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Its fine if you want to be contrary, that is the point of the discussion. But you'll need to show your work a little more, otherwise being contrary is all you have.

Sharperthansticks and Mo2 like this.
  12. buffalo01

buffalo01

Oct 13, 2016
    Hit the nail on the head there.
    A thick blade/grind may slice great at firs but if you have to cut deep into something such as rubber or an apple, it will tend to wedge it apart instead of easily cut through it.

13. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I'll make sure to use a thin knife next time I have to cut a rubber apple. ;)

14. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    OK , so now carrots are the new standard measure for knives but it's still bodies for katanas ?o_O

15. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes, I do favor a nice body on a female and.....Oh, you meant the SWORD. o_O Sorry. By the way, we now need a thread comparing carrot cutting abilities of both folding and fixed blades in order to evaluate our purchases. ;) Using a cutting board would be a good start. :D Then, of course, there is the distinction between slicing and chopping to deal with. This could get complicated. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    DocJD likes this.
  16. buffalo01

buffalo01

Oct 13, 2016
    Hey they are the only thing more annoying to open than blisterpacks haha

17. Bill1170

Bill1170

Dec 20, 2007
    Of course. Who doesn’t want to own a “five carrot blade”?

Pomsbz and DocJD like this.
  18. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    The more your knife looks like a (good) kitchen/chef's knife, the better it's going to slice. The angle sharpness of the primary and secondary (if there is one) bevels, the thinness of the blade, the width of the blade (a wider blade allows for an even sharper bevel angle) are all factors that create less drag while slicing.

Pomsbz and DocJD like this.