Are Busse knives the only high end production knives actually being used?

Geometry plays a equal role but not the greatest. You still have to have a good steel with am excellent ht to prevent failure. Geometry alone will not get you there. But geometry can overcomeany inadequacies. A low sabre grind will sure behave tough with its poor cutting geometry. Like the ontario marine raider bowie.

So do you think a Busse infi or sr101 could had plate steel like that and have no damage with the right edge geometry?

Geometry plays a equal role but not the greatest. You still have to have a good steel with am excellent ht to prevent failure. Geometry alone will not get you there. But geometry can overcomeany inadequacies. A low sabre grind will sure behave tough with its poor cutting geometry. Like the ontario marine raider bowie.

You can have a blade made from cheap steel with less than good HT and cut through steel plate with almost zero damage by have it ground like bolt cutter blade.

But even the best steel with the the best heat treat will suffer some damage doing the same if it was ground like what a good knife should.

Geometry always is the most important aspect if you want to do something abusive with your knife like cutting thru a nail or hacking steel pipe.

Thank you for the answers I appreciate it ever sence I watched those videos iv been kinda wondering

Geometry helps, of course, but is by no means the "most important" :rolleyes: Great geometry and garbage HT = broken knife. Okay geometry w/ a superior HT gives you a blade that may not slice tomatos well, but you can beat it to hell and it would not fail.

Geometry helps, of course, but is by no means the "most important" :rolleyes: Great geometry and garbage HT = broken knife. Okay geometry w/ a superior HT gives you a blade that may not slice tomatos well, but you can beat it to hell and it would not fail.

Its actually the geometry that make the knife cut...

Each 100% increasing in thickness/angle will get you 8 times higher strength and that is a simple physic.

I have seen many knifemakers here who used to advertise their blade by cutting thru nails. The blade is made of 5160 steel with cheap charcoal heat treat. Every blades tested got no visible damage and you can have it at $15 each. It won't slice apple tho.

How is Winkler II not getting a mention? Daniel winkler tears apart a car with his knives and axes. His video is on youtube

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have a Winkler II spike in 80crv2, and a couple of his axes; they are solid blades. The spike rotates with my infidu user.

There is a BF member that is on a Mexican SWAT type team, and he uses a Winkler hawk, and knife. He's posted quite a bit about them in the Axe and Tomahawk forum here.

You can have a blade made from cheap steel with less than good HT and cut through steel plate with almost zero damage by have it ground like bolt cutter blade.

But even the best steel with the the best heat treat will suffer some damage doing the same if it was ground like what a good knife should.

Geometry always is the most important aspect if you want to do something abusive with your knife like cutting thru a nail or hacking steel pipe.

Now you are talking ridiculous geometry of bolt cutters. I agree but no knife will have that geometry so it makes no sense

Last edited:
Have any of you hogs wielded any Daniel Fairly Knives? I just pulled down a couple off the Exchange yesterday.

Nice primary grinds. Nice tool steels. Nice prices offered to me by the seller.

One of em is a 01 Camp knife pretty comparable to my B8.

Gonna give the DFK at shot at the title to try and knock the B8 off my pack.

Someone mentioned Winkler and his blades are excellent. I have one of the belt knives from a couple yrs ago--it's 5160, and one that I picked up recently that is 80crv2. Both great, well made, no nonsense blades. The 5160 one has been through it all and keeps coming back for more; the 80crv2 one has not seen much--the tribal maple handle is too pretty:D

They're high quality. I have one of the Winkler II hunting knives. Well thought out and built knife.

Now you are talking ridiculous geometry of bolt cutters. I agree but no knife will have that geometry so it makes no sense

Since we are talking about ridiculous thing like cutting thru 1/4" steel plate so the ridiculous geometry is reasonable.

There are numbers of knifemakers who left very thick edge with obtuse edge angle and cutting thru silly stuff for advertising. The main trick is its need to cut on hard surface cutting board like anvil etc.

Steel or HT are sure super important for every quality knife... That why I bought Busse blades.
|
But if you want to do something stupid with your blade like cutting steel, geometry is just the easiest way to achieved that. You just don't even need a very good knife to cut thru bolt with zero deformation, you just need an obtuse one.

This is a very good example.

[video=youtube;jUXBN1KSDhA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUXBN1KSDhA[/video]

Back