Are new makers held to a higher standard?

Is a makers name or popularity more important than the quality of their work?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by R.W.Clark
Herman, what the hell is your malfunction.

A) You can not read
B) You can not type at the level of a four year old (did you know there is a freaking shift key on your key board?)
C) As my wife just said, you bitch like a pregnant woman

I have been caused no problems by other makers. Where you picked that up from only your undeveloped mind knows. If you want to know whos work is slipping go out and look for yourself. I will make no more comments regarding the work of others.
It was not my intention to degrade other makers, that is why I am sorry for stating any names. I was trying to get to the bottom of something that has been nagging at me for awhile now. I now have several answers that make sense.
If you will now excuse me, I have better things to do then reply to your elementary mantra.

My malfunction is you.

Great! Back to your childish insults. You are obviously the one that can't read or you would see most others posting here mention ETHICS too!! And your lack thereof. Hell you can't even read what your own post said! And i never claimed to be a great typist but it gives you another excuse to avoided answering my question. Speaking of reading, do you not even remember what you stated in your very first post to start this thread?

I have also spent many hours at knife shows looking over handmade knives. It seems that most of the problems come from the "top" makers.

That is where my poor undeveloped mind found that! You better go edit this stuff out as it makes you look like you can't even remember what you typed yourelf! We are still waiting to hear these problems from you.

Again you avoid a simple question by name calling and childish insults. WOW what a great addition you make to the world of knifemakers. Just what we need, another egotistical child. Are you by any chance related to Lynn Grififth?

While I still have a hard time seeing how it is back stabbing, and I totally feel that it is not an ethical issue, I will bow to the general feelings of my peers.

You still don't see it as having to do with ethics? Amazing. How many others here need to mention it also before it sinks into your small mind? And you call my mind underdeveloped? Keep on with the childish insults and names, you are making yourself look better all the time.

I hope with this improved typing and use of the shift key, maybe this will finally give you a small clue. I anxiously await my typing grade for punctuation and use of the shift key. If you learn to comprehend what you read from others here you will see they also think it is an ethics thing, not just me.

R.W., you seem like a jealous child that don't play well with others. Top makers have spent decades getting to where they are and in the early days didn't have the knowledge available like the new makers have today. yes new makers are looked at more closely than they were 10-15 years ago.Then some newbie like you comes along whining about it, yet you call me underdeveloped? Maybe you should look into the mirror a little more closely.

Lifter wants your list of problems from these "top makers" too. Anxious to see how you avoid him now also.

That is exactly why I say you need to improve your reading comprehension skills. Nowhere in your quote from my first post did I say that they were causing ME a problem. The problem I am refering to is blatant flaws in their workmanship. I will gladly answer that question.

The biggest flaw I see is that the bevel grinds are not centered, pushing the blade normally to the left (if held blade up and point away from the body. I see alot of bad solder work around the guard. Either the solder flow runs up the blade or there are voids caused by a poor fitting guard. Then there is unequal grind hights. I have seen wavy mirror finishes. It would appear that they depend too much on their buffers and will not take the time to hand sand before buffing. And lastly I see all too often that plunge cuts are not even.

None of these things causes a problem for me. But they are problems none the less. I refuse to state any more names. Hen pick all you want. This was never about cutting down a specific maker. That was not my intent, and I and sorry if it was percieved that way.

I am not the least bit green eyed. Sure, when the guy next to me at a show is selling out, and mine are barely looked at, it stings a little. But there are times when mine are selling like crazy and that other guy is the one feeling lonely. In the big picture, why should I feel the least bit jealous. I sell everything I can make, and for the first time I have a log of back orders. I get the prices I am asking for. And my prices have increased about 40% since the first of the year. I get to stay home and be with my two year old daughter. I get to be my own boss and am no longer required to punch a clock. I think I have it pretty good as a full time maker. I have a good home, a beautiful daughter and a lovely wife. No, I have no reason to be jealous.

There is a differance between ethics/morals and principles. I understand now that it as a matter of priciple is frowned upon for one maker to work on another makers knife. I did not know that, it never occurred to me since it does not bother me. I have agreed to abide by that principle even though I do not fully uderstand it. Your failure to acknowledge your "victory" and only focus on my not fully understanding it proves one thing. Your intent is not to solve a problem but to continue on picking at other areas. This makes you the problem. You have won, I back down and agreed to do as my peers do. That is not enough for you. You feel that you somehow must continue to set yourself above and continue to find fault. You do this to try and make yourself seem more important than you feel. For that you have my pity. For if you were what claim to be, and were just interested in "protecting" the industry. You would be happily patting yourself on the back. Instead you continue in your shrill and badgering manner as you have on many other posts. Why you feel this desire to build yourself up in the eyes of other I know not. But once again, you have my pity. I hope that someday you will find what you need to feel that space. Until you do, I now understand what you are about, and chose to ignore your behavior.

You have what you want now go and play bully in someone elses sandbox.

I was just responding to your childish insults which you continue. I dont feel any need to build myself up for anyone. And I sure as hell dont need any pity from you.

You say these top makers cause problems, then if not problems for you then who? Other makers? I guess you must shed more wisdom on me because I fail to see what these problems you state effects. If guys like you fix them for some collector and the original maker never even knows about it, how can he fix these problems? Please enlighten me further

Anyway I wont waste any further time on this, am going back to jr high to learn how to read:)

The man who did this needs no pity. Tim is highly regarded by his peers, and those many of us who can only wish to be. He's also a nice person, so this nonsense should stop.

I agree Jerry. This thread has run it course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back