1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Are there any premium Chinese steels?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Nsled, Jun 21, 2019.

1. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    One thing I've seen before is 9Cr13 being passed off as D2 because aside from the low carbon and vanadium it's kinda similar.

2. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Would that explain ^ why some people who get a China D2 knife say that they were surprised how relatively easy it was to get hair shaving sharp? My general experience with D2 is its a fantastic tough steel but don't bother with getting it much past toothy sharp. Whereas the 9CR13 that I've tried on a Spyderco Mule was able to get a very sharp edge and hold it much like 440C. The people who thought they were getting D2 were in actually getting a decent enough variant that was closer to 440C...

3. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Not a big fan of anything made in China!

onionfan and danbot like this.