Are You concerned about the Sheeple?

I read a lot on these forums people referencing the "Sheeple".I assume these are people that don't understand or are afraid of knives.My question is, how concerned are you about them?I don't go out of my way to flash a knife,but if I need to use a knife whether it is my Manix or a small slipjoint I can't be to concerned about what others think.What do you think?

Why should I change my life because of someone else's mental and emotional problems ?? If they make comments about my knife [or gun] I tell them to see a psychiatrist !!!

bladeprince said:
Not if I'm legal. Just make sure you know your state and city laws.

Exactly. And if your legal, than there is no reason to "hide" your knife. If they freak out about it, who cares. Next time someone freaks out about one of my blades, Im going to say the same thing about something they do.

Example:

sheeple- "omg a knife!"

me-"so?"

sheeple-"why do you have that? Im calling the police." *pulls out cellphone*

me- "OMFG a cellphone!!!! Why do you have that?"

Who knows, maybe they'll see just how stupid there reaction to your knife really is.

mmarkh said:
I read a lot on these forums people referencing the "Sheeple".I assume these are people that don't understand or are afraid of knives.

That is a valid but narrow definition. Here is a fuller one...

From Sheeple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sheeple is a term of disparagement, a portmanteau created by combining the words "sheep" and "people", a reference to herd mentality. It is often used to denote persons who acquiesce to authority, and thus undermine their own human individuality. The implication of sheeple is that people believe whatever they are told, without processing it to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them. The term is generally used in a political sense. The term is also used to refer to people who hold unfounded or illogical fears of inanimate objects such as knives, guns, lighters and so on.

My EDC is most definitely not sheeple approved but then I don't look for another's approval or care about what they think. What I carry is based on what I like and what works for me. A lot of the knife culture is becoming the latest fashion victims in that some carry only this type of knife because they don't want to scare anyone. If that is a major worry to one in picking out a knife then I would say don't get a knife because your priorities are skewed. Knives are tools and should be picked accordingly by their owners with an eye for the type job they are needed for without regard to what joe shmuckatelli thinks.
You never hear this in a gun shop "I'll take that gun there because this one looks like it might scare someone".

No, I don't care what the sheeple think, i *used to*, but not anymore

if anything, i've been in an "Anti-Sheeple" mentality recently, using my "bigger" knives for mundane stuff, using my Pacific Salt to open up a customer's new MacBook box so I can install RAM in it, for example....

strangely enough, there hasn't been any negative reactions to the Pacific, mainly because i just pull it out of the pocket, calmly open it up, cut the packing tape, fold and repocket the knife, making no big issue of it, it's just a tool, no snap openings or Spyderdrops, just the standard thumb opening....

around here, at least, sheeple seem to react to the *intent*, as long as i treat the knife as a mundane tool, no bad reactions

just for kicks, I think I'll start using my "scary" knife (Spyderco Harpy) more often for EDC duties, just to see if i can get a reaction from the sheeple for my mundane usage of the Harpy.....

[digidude] said:
Exactly. And if your legal, than there is no reason to "hide" your knife.
All fine and good... unless you live in one of those jurisdictions where legality is predicated on "intent", and intent is determined by the LEO.

Sheep: "Officer! Officer! That man has a knife!"
Officer: "Stop right there!! Why are you carrying a dangerous weapon?"
Knut: "It's not a weapon, sir, it's a tool!"
Officer: "No, it's a weapon, since you're brandishing it in a threatening manner."
Knut: "Brandishing? All I did was open this package!"
Sheep: "I feel threatened! That knife scares me!"
Officer: "Alright, up against the car, feet back and spread 'em..."
Knut: "But I know the law! This knife is perfectly legal in this jurisdiction!"
Officer: "Oh, resisting arrest, eh?" draws nightstick

I have fought the sheeple mentality but alas... there are still sheeples out there. Always will be. And those people that don't stop to question or think for themselves or who believe everything they read or heard in mainstream (or otherwise) "media" outlets without checking the facts out for themselves.

Regarding kniVes.. my newest kool and useful hobby... I was at my girlfriends house Monday night looking at some knives her hubby has (ALOT) and I was surprised at what knives I liked that were actually considered by FL law to be "concealed" weapons. Ones that folded via spring assist - that I could open easily and that packed down to small size. I asked him, so you mean this knife in my purse is considered a CONCEALED weapon in Publix?! grrrrrrrr. Well, i'd carry it anyway! But them i'm a rebel and always have been....

I also looked at a number of his Italian made switch blades. Too big and dangerous for me LOL and all illegal. Some I was really afraid to try to open LOL He told me how West Side Story and other movies really put the bad spin on Switchblades. But then on the other hand, he told me "if you get in a knife fight you make sure you cut em right along the brow. That way it freaks them out and they can't see." I guess it would and yes he has.

my girlfriends house Monday night looking at some knives her hubby has

It's cool that you've have interests shared with both sides of an open marriage.

She showed me her knives too. Course she also has concealed permits for them and her firearms.... They are getting a cannon next...
My hubby of 25yrs does not mind my having friends of either sex never has. In most of my "hobbies" such as astronomy there are I find more men involved in than women. Go figure.

LindaJ said:
I also looked at a number of his Italian made switch blades. Too big and dangerous for me LOL and all illegal. Some I was really afraid to try to open LOL He told me how West Side Story and other movies really put the bad spin on Switchblades. But then on the other hand, he told me "if you get in a knife fight you make sure you cut em right along the brow. That way it freaks them out and they can't see." I guess it would and yes he has.

Switchblades are legal in florida, As far as I know

Um ... I think you're a bit confused, Dave. Perhaps you didn't notice LindaJ is a girl's name.

These days, I could give a rat's _ _ s. Nobody seems to care if they offend me, so I am done worrying about offending someone while using a tool that I wisely choose to carry everyday.

Anyone who claims not to care about "sheeple" is exaggerating or a sociopath. The question is, "How much do you care?"

Generally, if you're within the law, it shouldn't be a problem. Then again, in my state, it's generally legal to openly carry any size blade. But it'd be foolish to think I could walk into a bank with a khukri strapped to my belt and not get some kind of negative reaction from the "sheeple" there.

Back