Are You concerned about the Sheeple?

psycho78 said:
I had some people in a college class stare at me like I was a psycho for pulling out my little SOG Blink to cut off a ragged piece on the bottom of my blue jeans I kept stepping on. I didnt make much of a scene out of it, but all eyes were on me and my 1 inch blade like I was a killer. :rolleyes:

Thats the only time. Most times people mind their business, or even get curious and ask me if they can check my knife out, which leads to me giving them advice on what knives are good for them to purchase.:thumbup:

I guess it all depends on where you live, and where you are.

I carreid a kershaw blur to college every-day. I have better things to worry about than sheeple.

razorsdescent said:
I carreid a kershaw blur to college every-day. I have better things to worry about than sheeple.

I always used a Buck 110 to sharpen my pencils in class, and nobody freaked out.

It pays to be responsible , professional and discrete . In reality a lot turns on percieved intent . On the whole , I've had pretty good luck educating sheeple , there is nothing to be gained by knowingly alienating someone .

Chris

I care about NKP's to the extent that I have to. Living where I do, it only makes sense to care what other people might think about your use of a knife. We live in a society where knives have moved from a necessity to a convenience item. I understand that I have to be discreet, because there are more NKP's than knifenuts. Unfortunately these NKP's vote. Do I hide my knives? No. I am careful to point out to the people who disagree with my carrying a knife that my rights are not based upon their comfort. My right to carry is also a reason whey I don't hide the fact that I have knives. Any right not exercised is easier to see as a privelege. A privelege is easier taken away than a right. YES, knife people must be discreet- lest they be lumped into the same category as the crooks and idiots who give responsible users a bad name-, but they should NEVER apologize for being within their rights to carry.

As someone else already said in this thread, I find it funny that the first people to scream about taking away my rights to carry a knife are often the FIRST people to demand "tolerance" if I fail to agree with something THEY do that is within the law. Though, if you reveal that little detail to them they'll deny that its limiting my rights. I just "don't understand" what it takes to live in a modern, civilized society.

SO, in short, why be discreet? Easy, because I'm outnumbered. Why expose yourself to more hassle than is already present in everyday life?

Yep, it's all in the *intent* of how the tool is used....

i performed an experiment today, I brought in my Spyderco Harpy (a rather Sheeple-Unfreindly blade design, most sheeple are scared of hawkbills), and used it for all my mundane cutting tasks....

I even used it to pop off and reseat a couple of PowerBook key caps right in front of a customer, she didn't even flinch, she was totally unfazed by the presence of that wickedly curved serrated blade

the secret was, in all cases, the knife was treated as a *tool* no fancy Spyderdrop openings or flick opens, just the basic thumb-open and two-handed close, knife out, open, cut, fold, back into pocket

now, if i had SpyderDropped it, or flicked it open, waved it around in the air, or generally acted stupid with it, i'm *sure* someone wouldv'e complained, it was used in a calm, responsible manner, so there was no reason for sheeple to panic....

Gryffin said:
All fine and good... unless you live in one of those jurisdictions where legality is predicated on "intent", and intent is determined by the LEO.

Sheep: "Officer! Officer! That man has a knife!"
Officer: "Stop right there!! Why are you carrying a dangerous weapon?"
Knut: "It's not a weapon, sir, it's a tool!"
Officer: "No, it's a weapon, since you're brandishing it in a threatening manner."
Knut: "Brandishing? All I did was open this package!"
Sheep: "I feel threatened! That knife scares me!"
Officer: "Alright, up against the car, feet back and spread 'em..."
Knut: "But I know the law! This knife is perfectly legal in this jurisdiction!"
Officer: "Oh, resisting arrest, eh?" draws nightstick
You must live in my state!!!

puukkoman said:
You must live in my state!!!
Actually, NEW JERSEY!! :eek:

I've spent a lot of time in Bawlmer, though, so I know you don't have it any better...

Am I concerned about sheeple?

Let me say this: I use my SAK when people are around. I use my BMade 530 (dagger-style blade) when I nobody is around.

Andy

cool_hand_luke said:
Am I concerned about sheeple?

Let me say this: I use my SAK when people are around. I use my BMade 530 (dagger-style blade) when I nobody is around.

Andy

That takes all the fun out of it:D

This can never be said enough and applies to knives and guns. "An armed person is a citizen an unarmed person is a subject".

Are You concerned about the Sheeple?

My simple answer is - NO. I wont change my life style bacause of other people around, because its my choice, its my life.

I stay at 3 inches and open/close them with one hand-I'm legal and really they can't do squat so I just pay more attenion to what I'm doing with my knife then those around me,even the mall rent-a-cop can't do anything if it's legal.

I just had an interesting encounter in the mall just yesterday,one of those rent-a-cop stopped me and asked if I was carrying a knife,I told him I was carrying a pocket knife and a SAK-nothing illegal he left me alone and said have a nice day :D

Just be calm and inform any who ask that you're within legal/local laws and they stop bugging you.

Not if I'm legal. Just make sure you know your state and city laws.
The problem with Sheeple is that some of them are responsible for the laws. You scare a Sheeple with your Benchmade Rukus because "it's legal so who cares what he/she thinks", and the next thing you know there's a new city ordnance being proposed that prohibits folding knives with blades longer than 2" and any fixed blade. Then you wonder why the laws suck. Keep the Sheeple happy and feeling safe so they don't get any ideas. When a real tragedy strikes they either get a clue or a new law. $.02

ras said:
The problem with Sheeple is that some of them are responsible for the laws. You scare a Sheeple with your Benchmade Rukus because "it's legal so who cares what he/she thinks", and the next thing you know there's a new city ordnance being proposed that prohibits folding knives with blades longer than 2" and any fixed blade. Then you wonder why the laws suck. Keep the Sheeple happy and feeling safe so they don't get any ideas. When a real tragedy strikes they either get a clue or a new law. $.02

Wow, you hit that right on the head- exactly what I think too. You never know when the woman at the food court who freaked out over your giant Spyderco is the wife of the Mayor. She doesn't complain to you- just complains to HIM!

I'm careful to always treat and REFER to my knife as a tool (except if I'm at home in front of the mirror, of course;) ).

ras said:

What BS. Hide in fear of your imaginary scenario if it makes you feel safe. :rolleyes:

What you are preaching is utterly stupid. Acting like you are ashamed to use a tool in the proper fashion is pathetic and wrong.

They don't care if it is a big sword or a tiny swiss army knife- catering to delusional idiots is the wrong approach. :thumbdn:

soupah said:
Wow, you hit that right on the head- exactly what I think too. You never know when the woman at the food court who freaked out over your giant Spyderco is the wife of the Mayor. She doesn't complain to you- just complains to HIM!

I'm careful to always treat and REFER to my knife as a tool (except if I'm at home in front of the mirror, of course;) ).

Yea keep the sheeple happy and safe :jerkit: and slowly crap you rights and future knife ownership down the drain! This kind of thinking is why the Britians have no knives! This kind of thinking is what led the Nazi party to power in Germany.
There are two kinds of people in America, Americans and the people who live here. If knife owners don't start defending their rights today you will not have your rights tommorow.

My question is, when was the last time someone was stabbed with a high-end or custom knife? Sheeple forget that a person who has spent years of research, and likely hundreds of dollars on knives, is highly unlikely to go apeshit and commit a crime. Same with gun owners... all the ones I know are responsible, respectable folks with jobs and families, etc.

Having said that, I also agree that we shouldn't capitulate to the supposed opinions of others. Conduct yourself in an adult manner and there "shouldn't" be a problem. I live in a semi-rural area and people here don't have a cow if they see someone use a knife in an everday situation. I suppose it's different in San FranFreako or Screw Loose City.

The argument for a new law always starts out "Nobody needs a |machine gun - derringer - pocketknife|." When people respond to that by thinking, well, I don't know anybody who has a machine gun ... I guess it won't do any harm to ban them -- they don't object to that proposed law.

One of these days the time may come when people say, "I don't know any honest people who carry a pocketknife around with them ... I only see pocketknifes in the hands of criminals on television ... so I guess it won't do any harm to ban pocketknives." If you don't let them see your knife they won't know that any normal decent person carries a knife.

Back