Ask Toooj

Pindvin,

The Logos are laser etched through the powder coat and onto the blade. Obviously, the contrast between the coating and steel is what the eye sees. If you remove the powder coat, there will still be a faint image left on the uncoated steel as the laser mark is into the steel. If you polish the blade too much it will eventually polish away.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

sorry to bother you, but I've a question about the 498 "Fighting Knife".
Is there any practical difference between the 498 and the Ka-Bar Marine/Army/Navy fighting knife (other than price)?
Also, does OKC offer this knife with the classic stacked leather grip?

Also, is the 08980(?) Camp Knife (AKA "Demo Knife") currently on clearance sale on your website, a discontinued model?

afishhunter,

It is never a bother.

The 498 is Ontario's version of the USMC F/U knife. Ontario was/is the last/current contract builder of this knife for the USMC.
It has stacked leather washers but it is hard to see as there is a black coating painted on the handle due to the Mil-Spec. (Anti reflective and Fungicide coating)
The KA-BAR version, while prettier and better finished, does not completely follow the Mil Spec.
The KA-BAR version is finished nicely. The Ontario has a more purpose driven finish. Both are good knives that will perform well for you.

The Camp knife is a folder left over from the Camillus Cutlery inventory. Since the demise of Camillus, I don't know who, if anyone, is making this model any more.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Thanks, Paul. The only new made version of the Camillus "Demo" knife is Marbles. I have one, surprisingly good knife, but still want an affordable original.
FWIW the 498 and 499 are both on my short list now.

Toooj,

The question and answers in posts 43, 44 and 45 concerning the Camp knife, got me wondering. Has it ever been done, or discussed and/or considered by OKC to offer the Camp knife in different handle colors? I understand cost, and Mil Spec (at the time), and perhaps history might have been detracting factors in such an idea, but I was just curious. Would different colors make the knife "too Swiss Army" in appeal, maybe? What are your thoughts on this?

Toooj,

The question and answers in posts 43, 44 and 45 concerning the Camp knife, got me wondering. Has it ever been done, or discussed and/or considered by OKC to offer the Camp knife in different handle colors? I understand cost, and Mil Spec (at the time), and perhaps history might have been detracting factors in such an idea, but I was just curious. Would different colors make the knife "too Swiss Army" in appeal, maybe? What are your thoughts on this?

Just my opinion, but the SAK Alox sells well with different colors. Personally, I'd like to see the camp knife with blued or browned carbon steel handles, even if "only" 1040 or 1050 carbon steel is used for the handles, and non-mirror polished blades. Brushed or "as ground" blades would make more sense, unless you're using the blade as a signal device. High polished blades show EVERY finger print and smudge.

TDHurl/afishhunter,

Some interesting thoughts. I'll consult with the NProd Dev. team and see if there are any legs to your suggestion.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

toooj Im curious to know why the rat 1 has so many washers. mine has 4, plastic on the blade both sides. and brones on the frame side. I've seen others in different number and combination of these. also is there a chance of a rat 1 or 2 with a USA made blade. kind of like buck does there buck lite max series. the whole thing but the blade is made and assembled over seas and the blade made here.

thanks Pete

hi Toooj , when i search OKC web , there are three types 498 knives with different price , what are difference between them ?

afishhunter,

It is never a bother.

The 498 is Ontario's version of the USMC F/U knife. Ontario was/is the last/current contract builder of this knife for the USMC.
It has stacked leather washers but it is hard to see as there is a black coating painted on the handle due to the Mil-Spec. (Anti reflective and Fungicide coating)
The KA-BAR version, while prettier and better finished, does not completely follow the Mil Spec.
The KA-BAR version is finished nicely. The Ontario has a more purpose driven finish. Both are good knives that will perform well for you.

The Camp knife is a folder left over from the Camillus Cutlery inventory. Since the demise of Camillus, I don't know who, if anyone, is making this model any more.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Hi Paul,

I have always wondered but never found a satisfying answer regarding the mil spec on the 498 handle coating. Is the anti-fungicide an additive in the black paint or is the leather soaked with it then painted black? What is the actual "paint" that is used?

Thanks,
Dan

monstrum,

Yeah, I get your comment. After rebuilding many RAT 1s that come back for repair/rebuild, it is a puzzlement. The Rat 1 was before my time. All I can think of, is the Contractor needed to do this due to the "stack" height of the knife and the availability of washer thicknesses. As far as US made blades on overseas knives: I don't think that will happen. The logistics and cost involved would be tremendous.

Dingy,

We have both first quality knives and cosmetic seconds which is what you may be seeing. I don't see a 3rd 498 but if there are other knives that appear to be 498s, different materials and finishes accounts for the price difference.

DRE,

The anti fungal agents are applied to the unfinished leather washers and allowed to dry. The washers are then assembled, turned and finished and the leather handle is then painted a black color. It is a paint type specified by the contract.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

hi Toooj , when i search OKC web , there are three types 498 knives with different price , what are difference between them ?

There's the 498, 498 second quality (basically, as Toooj said, it will have some form of minor or cosmetic defect) and the 125th anniversary 498 with kydex sheath.

afishhunter,

Okay; there's one vote....anyone else?
New designs are all about marketability and sales and unfortunately ulus will not muster enough sales. However, it is an interesting pattern. I've played with them and they do work.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

hi toooj , what do you think SP16? a fire hatchet or a survivial tool or a tactical tool?

in compare to other brands one piece tomahawks and hatchets , like estwing small comping hatchet and even high ends RMJ jenny wren , what are sp16 good at ?

Toooj,

I have a question regarding the RTAK II, I don't like how the base of the edge curves down and touches the plunge grind. this wouldn't be an issue if it's a custom knife but considering it's mass produced don't you think it's better to change the design a bit where the plunge is similar to the Ranger series so you can have a consistent straight edge?

Dinjgy,

The SPax was a USAF crash ax design used to extract oneself from a plane crash. However, it is a good all around design for general chopping.

knife chop,

I get where you are coming from. I like the grind to start in the choil so there is a sharp edge clear to the shoulder. Maybe I can get that changed.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Dinjgy,

The SPax was a USAF crash ax design used to extract oneself from a plane crash. However, it is a good all around design for general chopping.

knife chop,

I get where you are coming from. I like the grind to start in the choil so there is a sharp edge clear to the shoulder. Maybe I can get that changed.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Toooj,

That's great! How Long would that usually take considering it will be a slight design change and I assume it requires multiple approvals from your colleagues.

Back