Ask Toooj

Dinjgy,

The SPax was a USAF crash ax design used to extract oneself from a plane crash. However, it is a good all around design for general chopping.

knife chop,

I get where you are coming from. I like the grind to start in the choil so there is a sharp edge clear to the shoulder. Maybe I can get that changed.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

i really hope in the future OKC may offer a more consice version of sp16 that without hole on it and made of 5160 steel.

I just ordered an Ontario Ranger RD II Hawk. I was wondering, simply out of curiosity, why Ontario uses 5160 steel for their Ranger series knives, but chose 1075 for the Ranger Hawk? Also, my Ontario Spax is made with the 1095, so I wonder on that too why the spax is 1095, and the RD Hawk with 1075? Pros & Cons... And maybe the decision process behind these choices. Thanks in advance for quenching my thirst for these details ☺

Hi PKJ,

The use of steel has a lot to do with what was available at the time and also who the designer was/is, and what their preference was for each product. The SPax was designed way back in the early to mid 90s. 1095 was the steel available back then. Today there is a wider range of steels available now, I think 5160 or 1075 would probably be a better choice these days.
The Ranger knives were designed by Justin Gingrich and he used 5160 for his Custom Ranger knives so that was what was carried over to the Ontario Ranger line.
5160 and 1075 will be tougher (which is a good thing for axes, hatchets and choppers), 1095 will give better edge holding due to the larger percentage of carbon. Should we change the SPax over to 5160 or 1075? .... Tougher steel for sure but we have not had a lot of SPax returns with issues relating to toughness or chipped out edges. Still food for thought.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Has Ontario ever considered using some of the other great steels? Ontario has been around a long time so I am sure they have and I'm not talking about the flavor of the day " super" steel. I was thinking more like sprite runs with say D2, 52100, 80 cr v.
L6.
I know if it's not broken don't fix it, still might be fun and might sell some knives.

LG & M,

As a mater of fact; yes. We talk all the time about making variations with different steels, coatings and handle materials. You should start to see some things already and more in the near future.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

LG & M,

As a mater of fact; yes. We talk all the time about making variations with different steels, coatings and handle materials. You should start to see some things already and more in the near future.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Care to elaborate a bit on the "near future" offerings?" ;)

TDHurl,

So far it's all secret squirrel stuff.

Sorry for not being much help.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Director of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

87Bur and LG&M,

I like S-7 also. I will have our purchasing people see about availability and cost....at least for a sprint run. Availability, cost and manufacturing processing will always be the major factors in whether we can do a project.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Rather than s7 I vote, either 3v or z wear.. I would buy more than 1 of each..

Shiny,

Whoooshh. You are tough. :eek: Both steels are very expensive and very difficult to process. It could be done but would you buy a $300MSRP RD6?
I may be shooting from the hip about the price but I'm probably not far off.

You have me cringing,:p

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Knowing what I spend on knives , I probably would lol I have a love affair with 3v and been wanting to try z wear. I know they are hard on belts, and more $.. but can't a guy can dream haha
Shiny,

Whoooshh. You are tough. :eek: Both steels are very expensive and very difficult to process. It could be done but would you buy a $300MSRP RD6?
I may be shooting from the hip about the price but I'm probably not far off.

You have me cringing,:p

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Great, can't wait to see what happens.
assuming everything works out this should be good for everyone.
Thanks.for looking into it.

I saw you have a Larry the cable guy " get r done " old Hickory line. :thumbup:
A bottle opener with the old Hickery handle would go good with that.

Guys,

Old Hic bottle opener....noted! I did the KA-BAR Grivory bottle opener so I have some experience in beverage emancipation ....the best part was the testing!

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Back