Ask Toooj

Hello Toooj, glad to see that you continue the tradition! quick comment/question: I really like the SP sheaths. I know some people dismiss them, but I find them quite well made with their Velcro adjustable straps and molle back strap. Is there a chance to buy them separately?

mmm, no, I was referring to the all-cordura (?) sheath with the adjustable straps like on the SP50.

who do I write too?

M1GarandGuy (great name) had a question:

I recently purchased my second Rat 1 and was wondering if the Aus-8 they use is Japanese imported or Taiwanese made.
Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

After some discussion, the general consensus is that it really doesn't make a difference, but satisfies curiosity. Toooj, thoughts?

OKC/M1 GarandGuy,

The AUS 8 steel that is supplied in our knives comes from Japan. AUS 6, 8, 10 are proprietary steel made by the Aichi Steel Corp. AUS 6, 8, 10 corresponds to AISI 440 A, B and C designation. Taiwan is able to get that steel for their knife production.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Co.

recently i got a sp16 spax that was really well made , and i was told that sp16 is a fire axe , so what can i do with the hole on it ?

recently i got a sp16 spax that was really well made , and i was told that sp16 is a fire axe , so what can i do with the hole on it ?

The purpose of the " hole " is to open or close fire hydrants and gas valves.

Dingy,

If you have an old SPax, it has a rounded triangular hole. That will not open any thing...not even beer bottles.
If you have a SPax with the weird angular opening...that will open a large majority (But not all) of the various fire hydrants and gas bottles across the USA.... so good call by brbroru7.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

Dingy,

If you have an old SPax, it has a rounded triangular hole. That will not open any thing...not even beer bottles.
If you have a SPax with the weird angular opening...that will open a large majority (But not all) of the various fire hydrants and gas bottles across the USA.... so good call by brbroru7.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

my spax is a new version that with a weird angular opening , i live in China , i think the opening is useless on fire hydrants , cuz valves are bigger here.
But i find the opening on spax is a cool design when i did push cuts , my thumb can push on it to make a fine cut.

thank both of you Toooj & brboru7 :thumbup:

Toooj,

Are there any plans on having an option of micarta handle for the Bushcraft woodsman? while wood is good, I feel like it might crack from hard use. Thanks!

knife chop,

Good thought. I'll run this by our NP Dev. team. We could offer Micarta as an option for all three of the Bushcraft handles.
I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

For OKC or Toooj,

Does Ontario print a yearly catalog, or is it just digital. I was looking on the OKC website and did not see where to order one. Or, perhaps I missed it.

Thanks

TD,

Ontario prints a biennial catalog (every two years). A new one is coming out this year and will be unveiled at SHOT 2016....which is in two weeks.
You know this: Print catalogs are going the way of the Dodo. The print volumes are down and only old farts like me still like using them.
If you contact our Customer Service Dept. (800-222-5233 or knifesales@ontarioknife.com), you can probably sweet talk them into sending you one.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

TD,

Ontario prints a biennial catalog (every two years). A new one is coming out this year and will be unveiled at SHOT 2016....which is in two weeks.
You know this: Print catalogs are going the way of the Dodo. The print volumes are down and only old farts like me still like using them.
If you contact our Customer Service Dept. (800-222-5233 or knifesales@ontarioknife.com), you can probably sweet talk them into sending you one.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

To add on to this, there will also be a digital version on the website that should go live right around the time the new one debuts at SHOT.

Ah, I see. Yes, I agree, print is dead. However, I still like to turn pages of glossy photos of gleaming steel, from time to time. I think I will be giving you all a call soon.

Sadly, I will not be able to make it to SHOT so I will be expecting some SHOT photos on the sub here soon after. [emoji12]

Thanks.

Back