Attn. All Smatchetorians! . . . Wanna Help Design The Busse Combat Smatchet?. . . Start Drinkin'!!!

E385A6A6-7F66-4141-BC41-17CBD9C33438.jpeg A longer blade with a rounded pommel with holes on each side. Obviously my drawing would be to a different scale than the original. 10 - 12 inch blade.
I agree only one side be sharpened. Or, how about a serrated edge or toothed edge?

Last edited:
Drinking Black, dark roast coffee,

#2 is perfect. Hollow ground, v-edge, No CBT - The handle is awesome. (Have I mentioned it would be perfect for a Team Gemini LE, or an 8" battle pappy style classic bowie in INFI?)
Handle length 5", Blade 8" = 13" o.a.l.
.250 thick
INFI !!!!
Bronze coated, or Bead Blasted, G-10 Bombproof handles.

Next edit will be,
Drinking, Black Jack splitting wood with a special forces natural outlaw, grilling salmon. More after 5pm

You guys sure it’s a good idea to unleash such a powerful weapon into the world?

It could start a new cold war of smatchet escalation.

I’d like the talon holes pulled in closer with the handle partially cut out to accommodate which would also pull in the grind lines a little tighter. Same shape and everything else as number 2!

Nuked Forsaken trough smachet mmmmm
Coffin handles rock .
Any chance of a res c version for the cheap bastards ?
They look awesome pity it isnt a drawing comp lol

#2 please.

8.5" is too short, though. Needs to around 10.5". Should be a real chopper (as you can't baton with it), but not so big and heavy as to be unwieldy. Also blade stock doesn't need to be super thick, as the width of the blade already gives it enough weight and strength. I'd say 3/16, or 1/4 with a very wide fuller.

For the grind, how about convex on one side and concave on the other for heavy chopping and slashing options. If worried that the balance won't be symmetrical, you can always compensate by moving the fuller off center.

Since the width of a smatchet precludes it as a boot knife, I think bigger is better. A 9.5 inch blade might be ideal. I like both handles shown, maybe prefer 1 for the handle and 2 for the blade. As for blade grind, I would say it depends on thickness. If the center of the blade starts at 5/16" ish then hollow or flat would be good. However, if the blade is 0.2- 0.25" thick, then you could go either flat or convex. I am guessing the widest part of the leaf will be 3-3.5" so that is a 1.5 inch effective blade width for each side.

I think number one with the cbt just lengthen the blade to between 9 an 10 inchs although 8 really hits the sweet spot for me i think the larger blade length would be more popular and more in line with the original designs. .25 thick at the spine, the lighter ones (Boker) are just too light to really chop that well, takes more energy to chop than a bit heavier blade does.

Asymetrical edge perhaps or chisel ground would be cool i heard a cool story about a platoon ofwelsh soldiers killing a load of germans with just this weapon can remember the link think thats what made the smatchet famous in thr first place not the fact that it was a fairbarn sykes design or military issued it was the valor those welsh soldiers received by kickin ass with it .i think the originals were convex so that would be a nice tribute to the originals.

I like option 2, no CBT for me. With regards to the primary bevel, I agree with what Cobalt said. Go hollow on a thicker blade, but if it’s thinner go flat or convex. I REALLY like the idea of a full convex to a zero edge on this model, it just seems right to me. It might also allow for a thinner stock option, maybe it could be offered in two thicknesses like a couple of models from round 1.

10 inch flat-ground blade with an OAL of around 17.5.

Two different edges: one slicey and the other choppy

Checkered Micarta and a rounded pommel.

I would be a no on CBT in this case- the fuller doesn't do it for me, out of place- take the fuller to kind of an oval mimicking the profile or the blade if you want to take out some material if starting with something thick.

Convex grind. Big leaf at the base and long, pointy tip. have you seen the HeMan sword? Round that off a bit.

Probably needs a skull checker or spike for a pommel. Maybe just run a smatchet shaped thing there too... probably less sharp though.

Last edited:
You asked for it longer . . . so here are some 11" long blade models!

#s 4-9 all have 11 inch blades and are 16.5" OAL
#s 3-5 have 2.5" Wide blades.
#s 6-9 have 3.2" Wide blades!!! That's almost a 1/4" wider than the WTF!!!!

#3 is the same size as #1 and #2 8 1/2 inch blade model
#4 is the same blade width as #3 but is 11 inches long and 2.5" wide
#5 same as #4 with CBT
#6 has same width ricasso as 3-5 but has a 3.2" wide blade!
#7 is the same as #6 but with CBT
#8 Has an expanded ricasso
#9 same as #8 but with CBT

Smatchet%2011%20Inch%20Blades-X2.jpg

Back