1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Attn. All Smatchetorians! . . . Wanna Help Design The Busse Combat Smatchet?. . . Start Drinkin'!!!

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Jerry Busse, Aug 2, 2019.

1. MosesMcgregor

MosesMcgregor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2014
    #8 Hollow grind :p

DamascusBowie likes this.
  2. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I like the CBT. #5 for me, please. Although I suppose #7 is more consistent with the Smachet concept. I'd buy either.

As for #8-9, more cowbell, less ricasso.

3. Houlahound

Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    Handle needs to be more 3D, not so flat to fill hand better.

4. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    Did anyone say INFI with comp finish?

5. JohnTheTexican

Jul 1, 2006
    After further consideration, #5 is more like a somewhat pudgy FMV-11. If it's going to be a true Smatchet, a little pudgy isn't enough. It needs to be a true lardo. So #6 and up. And maybe the extra ricasso isn't really so bad.

6. Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Apr 18, 2014
    #8 with double cut option. At least 1/4" thick. Longer is better!

This thread has made my Friday!!

DamascusBowie and MosesMcgregor like this.
  7. Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Apr 18, 2014
    Where is Boring?? Boring has been asking for a smatchet for years. We need his input

boring likes this.
  8. Thesian

Thesian Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 11, 2008
    I’m down with number 4. Like many here, no CBT. Also, I like that 2.5 thinner width...don’t sag my ride with big uns! :);):p

9. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    #8 - but give the fuller a similar barrel shape as the primary grind and put steps to the inside like *CBT* fuller - and coffin handle is perfect with a Crusader point on the pommel

DamascusBowie likes this.
  10. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    Like this fuller Mod?

[​IMG]

Fortyneck, luethge, Nautique and 7 others like this.
  11. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    That's where I was going yes! The other ones- something just looks out of place to me like one of those "your logo goes here" windows for corporate trash and trinket places that will put your name on anything..... Looked at a lot of smatchet pics and it just looks out of place - might me a machining nightmare :eek:

12. Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Apr 18, 2014
    Now you are really onto something!

13. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Looks "right" with a fatter fuller. I like the idea of hollowness on this blade, although I am admittedly in awe of deep dish grinds, its the most serious of all the grinds, imho only of course. My vote would go to the fattest, widest blade with the deepest possible fuller and hollow grinds. Admittedly, I dont know how good a knife that would actually make, but then again, that part is Jerry's job :D

Spider Monkey likes this.
  14. Jerry Busse

Aug 20, 1999
    Here are a few more. . . . All of these are shown with an 8 1/2" Blade and all approx. 14" OAL

[​IMG]

15. Shai-Hulud

Shai-Hulud Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Yes! fuller mod is more cowbell. Also after a nip of Black label and a review, ive noticed the really thoughtful choil and ricasso design on the #1 drawing. Makes the smatchet Busse-esque and makes it very unique when compaired to the Fairbairn, Al mar, Boker, and Cold Steel designs.

8 to 9 in blimpy blade is what makes it hatchet like, that curve - it will chop and it should "keel" fish heads and onions yes?

It Will be a deadicated chopper since you cant beat it with a Baton. Maybe a flat back optional for those who live in "peoples republics".

littlehoot and Leonardo63 like this.
  16. MosesMcgregor

Oct 30, 2014
    #12 is EPIC

Hollow Grind / Double Cut finish with magnum hand smoothed grip option

WOWZA! :)

17. NukerCC

NukerCC

Nov 20, 2012
    #8 looking great. Smatchet's need a little heft to them.

I have never been a fan of the coffin shaped handle, looks to bland/plain to me(I don't own any to know the feel in hand). This knife could take on a cool new look with a Whiskey barrel shaped handle, some belly in your palm and tapper'd top/bottom's fully round!

18. Leonardo63

May 24, 2017
    For me, it seems this design has an ambidextrous use and the coffin fits that perfectly barring some cool new Busse design handle. !6 for example, probably make it quite "Fusion" awesome as it does anytime - But does that stray from the critical design points of being a smatchet?

19. Jerry Busse

Aug 20, 1999
    I'm glad you noticed that! It's one of my favorite design features!

Let's Drink!

Jerry

20. MosesMcgregor

Oct 30, 2014
    #11 would be awesome to see, and a very BUSSE look,but I feel like all that machine work would put the price through the roof