Australian Hardwoods and Axes

That's exactly right Sidehill, In my case it was whatever was growing near fence lines. Lots, and Lots of white poplar. Although I shouldn't take too much credit, the old man did most of the real work, and I moved somewhere tropical! But in all seriousness, after a certain point it doesn't matter if the BTUs are all going straight up the chimney, we had a wood fired boiler, and the poplar did fine most nights, a little pine or spruce in there on the really cold ones, but more than 20% mixed in was just a waste.

Thanks for an analytical and thought provoking post!

In these terms does the long and quite curved edge of the Tuatahi make sense then for hardwood?

I'm sure the Tuatahi guys know more than I do, especially about Australian wood. I would suggest shooting them an email. If the theory is correct, and it should be, then the properly curved edge will allow the heel or toe to start the cut while the center of the edge does most of the cutting. I am guessing that there is a balance achieved between cutting equal amounts through the rotation of the axe, based upon the centerline axis, and leaving a little excess of curve so that there is less sticking.

But again, I am no expert and have mostly just worked this stuff out on my own through reading/watching axe tutorials from experts. Most likely, the experts would be getting different curves as well as widths/lengths (I know they do this part) based upon their stance, angle of attack etc. But really it won't matter much for us mere mortals so it is generally best to focus on a fairly standard grind at first and your cutting technique. The Tuatahi should be near ideal for your purposes.

Is it one of their work axe grinds? And do they alter the work grinds based on what trees you will be focusing on? It should be about the same, just that the work axe will have a steeper angle for durability.

Thanks CW.

Yes it's their Work Axe or perhaps the new Kingi WA (different forging, and what looks like phantom bevels). The included bevel angle is 20-22 degrees with a rolled edge; just the same as it happens as what I've been putting on my rehab projects.

I am in an email conversation with them. They're very patient.

Ah yes, technique; more than half the game. Our state's axeman's association offers instruction that I'll take up.

There has to be a reason for the Tuatahi's short handle and long curved edge. Allows or encourages a 'rolling' cut?

I would say it partly helps with that. One of the problems with a high centerline, as the theory stands, is that it would create an axe dominant in the far corner. You can't cut very well with the toe, and the center (or arch I'd call it) of the edge presents the cut. Extra material here would make the near corner problematic. Of course you can make all your cuts outside to inside if you like, but this is not the best and the problem remains.

I would say that the short handle is for ideal accuracy mostly, and because the curved handle helps most with a natural flow of the hands and increases some of the rolling power. It would be interesting to hear what the big guys say about it.

Yes it would.

Here's a pic of the Kingi Work Axe.

Maybe the cheek recesses (phantom bevels?) have the same effect as a high centreline, ie. concentrate the mass around the centre.

https://flic.kr/p/FC68rf

A bit of data.

I picked up a GB American Felling Axe and had at a lump of pretty hard fine-grained Eucalypt - an unknown species among the 600 or so. Update: the donor thinks it's Southern Mahogany. That has a density of 920 kg per cubic metre.

It went gangbusters, at least compared with my other axes. 5 minutes work pictured. Good penetration and chip ejection. There were some glancing blows off the right side (left in the pic) but that's my technique failing. It started to stick down the bottom. The bit on this is flat and the grind is 15 degrees about 3/8" back from the edge. The gum sticking to the bit shows that most of the edge was in play.

After that I brought out a reshaped Kelly Dandenong, an Aussie made axe. It's heavier at 4.5 lbs, has a high centre line and a flat grind of 20 degrees included angle with a distinct micro-bevel at the edge. Penetration wasn't as good and chip ejection wasn't as efficient. Only the bottom two-thirds of the edge (from the heel up) got gummed.

I would say strike accuracy was about the same with both tools.

https://flic.kr/p/FUyAw9

Last edited:
To add, the Hultafors Agdor 4 lb got dragged out as well. I think this might be called a chisel grind: flat bevels at 20 degrees with a micro-bevel which is more rolled than distinct.

Penetration: less than the GB, more than the Kelly. Chip ejection as good if not better than the GB. Sticking less than the GB.

The edges after the tests, as per the nail catching test: GB - no catching; Agdor - some catching; Kelly - some just barely catching. (I hadn't done a pre-test on the GB, assuming it was sharp. Maybe it wasn't.)

There's not much room to generalise here. Although it's the same lump of wood there's some variation in the outside shape, perhaps in the grain and sap placements, and there's always the effect of confirmation bias on the tester.

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone here on the forum has had some experience axeing around in Australia. I'm curious about how tough some of the native hardwoods are on axes? Jarrah for instance. Are they so hard they require an axe of particular geometry? Wider geometry? Thinner? Are they tougher to split, or buck, or both?

Our axes rang in the woodlands,
Where the gaudy bush-birds flew,
And we turned the loam of our new-found home,
Where the eucalyptus grew.

- Frank Hudson, "Pioneers"

Aussie here. New to the forums, et al. (This'll be by way of introduction.) A little bit of experience follows, with a fair bit of prognosticatin' and some other accounts.

The classic Aussie pattern is the Tasmanian pattern axe - short, squat, and almost square. The cheeks are fairly round and plump, convex to stop you getting stuck.

Compare it to the softwood axes of North America...well, those softwood axes look like almost like mortising axes. Or the European axes, with their long, gangly appearance and no polls on the traditional Swedish axes. Those were designed for significantly more gentle chopping than the American or Australian axes. (Some Brits who came over and saw Aussie timber-getting in the late 19th-early 20th centuries were taken aback at how "violent" the axemen were with their axes, and noted how they "throw" the axe into the wood.)

However, the Tassie Pattern was probably developed by Plumb or Kelly, or one of the other American Axe makers, definitely not an English maker like Brades or Gilpins. The Tassie is definitely patterned after an American design - it was not a product of convergent evolution. As soon as American axes were available, Euro-style axes were immediately abandoned.

You will see literally none of the Swedish-style battleaxe-type axes out here, no Hudson Bays, except perhaps as novelties or museum pieces.

Hardwood chopping, especially of something like a mountain ash, which could be three hundred feet tall, and eight feet (or more...) in diameter at felling height, is more like a marathon than a sprint. You're only going to get in a few mills deep into the wood, so you rely on geometry to knock out chips. On the plus side, it's not like you can miss.

The closest comparison to the Tassie would be the Connecticut, as mentioned, but the Tassies tend to have a much higher to, rising well above the top of the eye, resulting in a greater, more symmetric curve to the bit. Think of the Hytest Foresters, or the Keesteel washboards (man, do I want a washboard...), or the Brades Cockatoos.

Given the sheer amount of hardwood you had to scoop out to get a belly scarf on a giant jarrah, you'd want a fairly long cutting edge.

Short, fat, round - designed, I suppose, to withstand the shock of hard timber. A cleaver, not a filleting knife!

A lot of eucalypt has a tendency to fiddleback, as well as generate burls readily, not to mention things like gum veins. These are all tough on blades, though it's more of a problem when dry. On the plus side, down low on the trunk, eucalypts tend to be fairly knot-free. That's what makes them such great timber - the jarrahs, karris, spotted gums, and mountain ashs will be nothing but dozens - or hundreds! - of super feet of ramrod-straight wood.

Blocksplitters (mauls) - the traditional Aussie blocksplitter I've always used since a kid has been about the size of a block of butter, with a triangular face coming off it. Neither the toe nor heel comes rises or falls above the eye. Think of it as a milk carton. Made of steel. The fancy Oregon-patterns that look like really heavy axes never took off here. I've split white box and ironbark with these for a lot of my life, and these make short work of it. There's nothing to get stuck or glance off or break. Eh, at any rate, with the weight of the thing, all you have to do is guide it down. Well-seasoned ironbark and white seems to split fairly easily with this. They weigh about 2.5-3kgs, head only.

I'm not so sure about racing axes and professional woodchopping - though Martin O'Toole did note that a lot of American choppers couldn't last on Mountain Ash. I'm not familiar with NA woodchopping, but isn't it mostly on cottonwood or poplar?

Hej Tandanus !
Thanks for the report from 'downunder. Most interesting.
Fwiw. I think N.A. Competetion uses a variety of softwoods. I seen pine, spruce, poplar, cottonwood. Always beautiful clear grained stuff.

Once I saw a novelty competition chopping frozen green douglas fir !

Hej Tandanus !
Thanks for the report from 'downunder. Most interesting.
Fwiw. I think N.A. Competetion uses a variety of softwoods. I seen pine, spruce, poplar, cottonwood. Always beautiful clear grained stuff.
Thanks! I picked up a Hytest Forester (lost, sadly, a bid on a Hytest Craftsman) at an auction last weekend. Needs a bit of work - I think they hit some staples with with it back in the day, and mistakenly used it for a hammer - but still in good nick. Still had paint on it, and the only rust was third-party pool rust.

It definitely feels like a high-quality item: feels a lot more...smooth and dense than a household-grade axe. I'm guessing these spent more time under the hammers when forging, and probably used better steel. I don't know if I'm imagining things, but.

Happy as to get it for $20AU, along with one other axe head (which appears to have a Broad Arrow punched into it), a hand hewing head, and some hammer heads (which are too far gone to be much of a use for anything).

I'll post some pics in the Hytest thread...along with the little Hytest hatchet I've got, too. I'm still doing both of those up.

Once I saw a novelty competition chopping frozen green douglas fir !

That makes a lot of sense, though, to simulate lumberjacking in Canada!

Oh, and yeah, the wood for professional chopping is of course knot-free and debarked here, too. That's another point of difference between timber-getting and racing axes: a timber-getting axe will have to debark a tree, dig through the grit that tends to get stuck in the bark, so racing axes get to have that insanely thin grind on them - 19-20 degrees.

I've taken down a few small whiteboxes (great firewood!) with my 5lb Brades(?); and you'll find that you're doing worse than you think you ought to be, especially compared to cypress pine. I couldn't jam my axe in the stump after I was done, too - it kept bouncing out!

Back