Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

This is my first attempt at making a camp axe/hatchet.
8755287874_fd88f91339_z.jpg

Very impressive!
bow.gif

Super nice job with the grain in the handle. It looks like it will be real nice for carving.
Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking? And what is brazil wood? Does it have growth rings?

Brazilwood is also known as pernambucowood and its cientific name is "caesalpinia echinata" or guilandina echinata.
It is an wood of historical importance here in Brazil, since it was the first richness found in my country by the Portugueses, back in sixteenth century when it was used to dye fabrics for european nobility. Nowadays its the most prized wood for the manufacture of violin bow. The growth rings is not so visible as the hardwood in north hemisphere, but it does have. The wood used is from my ranch, where I have a collection of brazilian hardwood trees.

Last edited:
that's a pleasuntly unusual axe dude :)

Latex tree?

Fleaybay buy 50 bucks shipped. AG Russell sells them for 80 bucks plus shipping. Unusual build to the Axe, the head (cutting area) is bonded to the area that wraps around the handle it's not solid. Time will tell how it holds up.

Well Latex in raw form. That is a Rubber Tree in my backyard. Not indigenous to Florida, Ford and Firestone brought them here when they were developing rubber compounds for tires. They have grown all throughout South Florida in bounds.

Glennk, Samon, I got a some years old knife magazine lying around here. There was a test between a dozen of different hatches frpm 20 - 100 bucks, and im sorry to tell you, but this one was the worst of all. :(
The biggest problem here is how the blade is attached, the beak sadly doesn't withstand kinda hard wood working.
Could you give me a picture of the label on the head? This way, I can tell you if it's the same axe as in the magazine

Glennk, Samon, I got a some years old knife magazine lying around here. There was a test between a dozen of different hatches frpm 20 - 100 bucks, and im sorry to tell you, but this one was the worst of all. :(
The biggest problem here is how the blade is attached, the beak sadly doesn't withstand kinda hard wood working.
Could you give me a picture of the label on the head? This way, I can tell you if it's the same axe as in the magazine

Hi there, my child has my camera atm. But I can say I absolutely believe you that it's the worst out there in the -100 buck range . :D

Few day chopping "rubber tree roots" While they are dense with sap, not hard wood at all. Starting to loose it's edge. Also the cutting area is super thin and lost one of the tip corner edges hitting something a bit hard, not like a typical wedge AXE head.

I bought it on a whim as I liked the shape of the AXE profile , and was not planning any heavy use, or had high expectations of this tool. Matter a fact It would NOT be recommend for a buy if someone was looking for a decent AXE.

This will become a wall-hanger. :rolleyes:

Here is the retail outlet so you can see the stock images (hope not breaking rules , mods please edit if so) :

http://www.agrussell.com/fox-knives-roman-style-hunters-axe/p/DE-682/

possible Maine or Rixford (VT) axe. Marked 3 on the face of the axe and 2 (maybe partial - part of a date) on the bottom of the poll.

Hi there, my child has my camera atm. But I can say I absolutely believe you that it's the worst out there in the -100 buck range . :D

Few day chopping "rubber tree roots" While they are dense with sap, not hard wood at all. Starting to loose it's edge. Also the cutting area is super thin and lost one of the tip corner edges hitting something a bit hard, not like a typical wedge AXE head.

I bought it on a whim as I liked the shape of the AXE profile , and was not planning any heavy use, or had high expectations of this tool. Matter a fact It would NOT be recommend for a buy if someone was looking for a decent AXE.

This will become a wall-hanger. :rolleyes:

Here is the retail outlet so you can see the stock images (hope not breaking rules , mods please edit if so) :

http://www.agrussell.com/fox-knives-roman-style-hunters-axe/p/DE-682/

Yup, it's the axe. Fox Knives "Roman Style". No wonder the roman axeman lost against the germanic :D

Should perform best at your wall, it's a nice piece though ;)

Hi. All!
I'm new here!
I would like to share this:

axe1.jpg

axe2.jpg

axe3.jpg

axe4.jpg
I'm sorry to see this axe in this section for tomahawks & hatchets. Were it placed somewhere other it might get the attention it deserves. Eastern European I guess and notice the nice elm wood handle. I saw one similar recently for sale @ 500 plus € which doesn't imply necessarily it's worth, anyone can ask what they want for such a broadaxe. The upturn at the heel seems very practical and a good element but not so common.

E.DB.

I'm sorry to see this axe in this section for tomahawks & hatchets. Were it placed somewhere other it might get the attention it deserves. Eastern European I guess and notice the nice elm wood handle. I saw one similar recently for sale @ 500 plus € which doesn't imply necessarily it's worth, anyone can ask what they want for such a broadaxe. The upturn at the heel seems very practical and a good element but not so common.

E.DB.

Most of the poster's here are American and have not been exposed to axes like that, so maybe we don't appreciate them like we should. My guess is that very few here would have a need for such an axe or have ever hewed anything adding to the lack of attention.
Things get much more interesting when you take the time to look at them in detail. That up turned lip on the heel is interesting. Reminds me of some adzes.

I would hope that the one who owns the axe might pipe in and provide some more pertinent en interesting information than I would have. I see it as a hewing axe along lines of the German one they call breitbeil there, this one having a simpler construction but then with that sweep at the heel preventing it from digging into the wood, so yeah the same principle of a ships adze with the corners turned up like that and also used mostly at more or less steep angles to the direction of the grain of the wood. But again, no use to me personally being for right hand use.

E.DB.

Back