Axe, Tomahawk & Hatchet Photo Thread

Thanks guys..
Wood Splitter we are looking inot a supplier of good quiality 1060 carbon steel right now for hatchets and small axes...That way we can have hardened polls as well..Just trying to decide on the size of the initial stock to work with..

Heres a few "Wrap & Weld" hawks..Mostly 1018 bodys with a high carbon steel bit..We normally just use a cutting bit because its period correct..Originally they would have never used a full length bit back to the eye..That would have been a waste of good steel..Its easier to weld a full length bit in because its easier to weld HC steel to mild than it is Mild to Mild..It does give you more material to work with though.Also thats a good way to make a hawk from a rasp..Fold it over onto itsself with a full length bit.Anyway heres a few..
100_4528.jpg

100_4206.jpg

newpics501.jpg

newpics013-2.jpg

Heres a few "Wrap & Weld" hawks..Mostly 1018 bodys with a high carbon steel bit..We normally just use a cutting bit because its period correct..Originally they would have never used a full length bit back to the eye..That would have been a waste of good steel..Its easier to weld a full length bit in because its easier to weld HC steel to mild than it is Mild to Mild..It does give you more material to work with though.Also thats a good way to make a hawk from a rasp..Fold it over onto itsself with a full length bit.Anyway heres a few..

So, Kentucky, when you use a rasp, you still insert a HC bit? Is the rasp steel to unpredictable to be bit material or something?

Robin and Kentucky, you guys rock as always! Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to make M3mphis a true blade lover. He is exceptional with axes, but needs some real education on and learn to really appreciate hawks. I wish I had the skill of you guys. However, I just have to do a little modding of commercial hawks.

Customized Hawks 003.jpgCustomized Hawks 004.jpg

MORE PICTURES!
Howard

So, Kentucky, when you use a rasp, you still insert a HC bit? Is the rasp steel to unpredictable to be bit material or something?

All hawks with 1018 bodys get a HC bit..All the rasps we use are tested individually to make sure they are made of suitable steel..If they are we'll use them alone..If not then we insert a HC bit..`There are a few rasps out there that are something like 1040'ish that are case hardened..They are just fine for the body but not suitable for a cutting bit..
Usually we have to cut off an end piece about 3" long from the rasp to make it the right length..We test that end piece by bringing it up to temp and quenching it..Put it in the vise and tap it with a hammer..A good one will break like glass..The others will bend right over instead of snapping..After you have done it one or twice its easy to tell a good rasp from the bad..
Right here is a picture I took once of three rasps broken after hardening..One was a Heller, one was a Bellota and the other a save edge..I actually overheated the save edge a as you can see the grain growth..The others are fine and silky smooth..
Picture175.jpg

That is some GOOOOD stuff, Kentucky. I have a half dozen or so Heller rasps, are they usually good???? I just annealed one of them two days ago, but I didn't perform any tests like you described.

Hopefully this thread can be "stickied" and some of the older posted stuff can be put here.
Reforged Trail Hawk (after heat treat- no clean up) done prior to the release of the CS Spikehawk.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Square peg.
I quenched the entire head- tempered in toaster oven - cleaned it up ran it straw. By placing on a hot drift. If I had a working torch at the time I would have probably just hardened the edge and spike.

Ilksurfer.
Nice pic. That Bicentennial Colt is a looker.

MODS, would you mind making this a sticky? I'm not sure what the protocol is...

On another forum I frequent we've gone to making a 'Best of' sticky thread and posting links to the most popular threads in that thread. That way you don't end up with a hundred sticky threads filling the top of the page.

On another forum I frequent we've gone to making a 'Best of' sticky thread and posting links to the most popular threads in that thread. That way you don't end up with a hundred sticky threads filling the top of the page.

If you put a request for the mods to make this a sticky in here http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/f...upport-General-Q-amp-A-Site-Feedback-amp-More
you may make it happen. Mods don't hang around here too often so are unlikely to see this thread.

Regards

Robin

All these modded CS hawks are crazy, not to mention the wrap and welds. But where are the axes (besides P1 - P2)? :)

Visitor, can you post more pics of that hawk?

Visitor, can you post more pics of that hawk?
No, didn't have it long- going to have to keep some for myself. Here are a couple more Trailhawks reforged prior to the CS spikehawk being released. One is parked , the other just wire brushed. More work in the hafts than the heads- steel moved easier than everything else I made a Hawk out of.
I 'm pretty sure there is a guy in Fla who is reforging CS hawks and selling them as blacksmith forged custom stuff at a mark up. I guess he isn't lying-
ry%3D400

Last edited:
Back