Bark River knives?

Mykke and Pombsz, if you put your location into your profiles it helps others give you local advice. I know the exchanges are not great outside of CONUS, but its worth looking. Shipping and ex-rates suck, but depending on where you are you can sometimes find what you are looking for locally, and in the case of many of the knives mentioned, used is not that big a deal. But don't start thinking that because you can get 10$ shipping that everyone should. KSF is a pretty small op, and mail fraud is pretty common on the customer end, since its pretty much impossible to investigate. So if that's what their insurance costs, so be it. You can always go somewhere else.
I didn't say anything about '$10' shipping and I did not ask for any advice. Please don't put words in my mouth. There are plenty other companies with far better (transparent) policies and shipping prices for the international buyer.

Dlttrading has some pretty low delivery costs for international shipping.

I'd say a 230$ Lt beats a 310$ brkt.
Mykke and Pombsz, if you put your location into your profiles it helps others give you local advice. I know the exchanges are not great outside of CONUS, but its worth looking. Shipping and ex-rates suck, but depending on where you are you can sometimes find what you are looking for locally, and in the case of many of the knives mentioned, used is not that big a deal. But don't start thinking that because you can get 10$ shipping that everyone should. KSF is a pretty small op, and mail fraud is pretty common on the customer end, since its pretty much impossible to investigate. So if that's what their insurance costs, so be it. You can always go somewhere else.

Phixt, it did not turn into a bash thread without help. We have a likely returning troll to thank for that, and no, it didn't help Mykke, but then again, maybe it did. But thanks for bring back the topic at hand.

Mykke, I personally have found that thinner is better. Less weight to carry, less cutting friction, and while you might have to think a little more, you can learn to read the wood you are cutting and not just power through everything with brute force. But lazy is just a derogatory synonym for efficient!

Great idea adding the country i live in. J

Most knife customers don't read the forums, thus no matter how much crap is dug up on a company they will often still sell plenty to the unsuspecting.

QTRM5TR, Will Moon, Nocturnal Knives, Koster, BRKT, the list goes on but the trend is the same: build a reputation and then coast on it as long as possible even if you're screwing up left and right, or blatantly lying to everybody's faces. Sell somewhere other than on BF because as long as you can hide your bad side there are plenty of people who just wanna buy something shiny and expensive because of just those qualities.

Koster? what has happened with Koster? What did I miss?

Is their ever redemption after a questionable path in the knife business?
I would say yes. A sincere change in business practices and open communication with people go a long way.

Many people here think redemption is automatic :rolleyes:.

Honesty, an apology, consistency and making things right can do wonders.

How often has that occured?

Qtrmstr?
Strider?
Koster?
Brkt?
Just to name a few...

Koster? what has happened with Koster? What did I miss?

Long story short: promised faster times than he delivered and has issues communicating with those waiting for knives, then shut down his sub forum here. Here's a link to the thread about his sub forum being archived, and then a link to that sub forum.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-happened-to-koster-sub-forum.1498119/

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/koster-knives.813/

A quick perusal through the first page of threads shows some similar issues to other problem knifemakers: communication issues and timelines that were bogus.

Personally, I'm at 3 years and 4 months waiting on a knife from him. Have asked for a refund on my deposit multiple times over the last year with zero response.

Long story short: promised faster times than he delivered and has issues communicating with those waiting for knives, then shut down his sub forum here. Here's a link to the thread about his sub forum being archived, and then a link to that sub forum.

I guess I will call myself lucky to get bushcrafter and bushmaster while I still could.:)

Last edited:
You know what happens to me every time I pick up a knife made by Bark River. The same thing that happens to me when I pick up a knife made by Bob Dozer. I get all goose bumpy and happy and every time I catch myself saying "dang this is a nice knife". Then I put it back on the shelf because I cant afford it. Thank God for Ontario Knife Company.

I have a BRKT Bushcrafter(3V). I did have to do some regrinding(obtuce factory grind). But man the steel is extremely though and holds a GREAT edge.

As someone else mentioned, DBK has done extensive testing on BRKT's 3V and it's solid.

I really love some of BRKT's designs and strugle to find other companies doing the same great designs. Too bad they've gotten a bad rep. Given the designs though, I think it's worth getting one if you like a BRKT knife through a reputable dealer and then return it if you have issues.

I have a BRKT Bushcrafter(3V). I did have to do some regrinding(obtuce factory grind). But man the steel is extremely though and holds a GREAT edge.

As someone else mentioned, DBK has done extensive testing on BRKT's 3V and it's solid.

I really love some of BRKT's designs and strugle to find other companies doing the same great designs. Too bad they've gotten a bad rep. Given the designs though, I think it's worth getting one if you like a BRKT knife through a reputable dealer and then return it if you have issues.
Exactly! For some people it may be enough to not buy a knife because of a bad reputation but I think it's ridiculous given the amount of people who have had really good reviews about bark river. Like I said it's hard to go wrong with kniveshipfree no matter what you purchase and even harder to go wrong with a lifetime warranty. Even if all the stuff is true about mike Stewart he still knows how to make one hell of a knife.

Glad you think it's ridiculous. I think it's ridiculous to bury ones head in the sand. Shrug.
No maybe not ridiculous I can see both sides. I'm just not one to make a sale soley based on the owner of a company's negative reputation when I've heard a completely different side too. I don't know about you but I haven't heard mikes said of any of these stories and we all know there is two sides to every story.

Indeed, there are two (and often several) sides to a story. MS on behalf of BRKT has replied and censored posts many times over in the official BRKT forum which recently closed down. You have not heard anything because you likely have not been in the scene long enough. I was a member of that forum and an early adopter of BRKT and was privy to much of the public drama from the get go.

Indeed, there are two (and often several) sides to a story. MS on behalf of BRKT has replied and censored posts many times over in the official BRKT forum which recently closed down. You have not heard anything because you likely have not been in the scene long enough. I was a member of that forum and an early adopter of BRKT and was privy to much of the public drama from the get go.
When did KF go down?

I'll say this too, and I've said it many times before.

Stewart is capable of producing a very well designed knife. But BRKT created the baggage and the animosity.

It has been proven time and again that you can run a successful knife maker without all that crap. But look, all that crap created a powerful us vs them comradery amongst the Barkites, and that is a proven marketing strategy in the knife world, and Stewart is the best marketer in the business.

Though, I have seen some stuff lately that puts him to shame.
Interesting.

As for the "censorship", actually I wish some of the manufacturer forums here would do the same. Get the conflict out of their subforums, let the fans have it for themselves to share their positive experiences and community, and let the people who don't like the brand or its practices go at it in GKD, and have the people with CS complaints take it to CS.

That said, the BRKT story is long, and the documented history is enough without even going into the private drama many of us have been privy to.

That said, many of the BRKT glowing reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. I know they aren't the only ones who do this (and the whole thing bothers me), but they did have "inner circle" of customers who became good enough customers to then regularly get free knives to "review." Again BRKT isn't the only manufacturer who does that....but it is something to consider.

Back