1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bark river knives?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PWatkins, Jul 13, 2018.

1. PWatkins

PWatkins Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I'm looking at a new fixed blade for outdoor/Bushcraft type stuff. I really like the looks and specs of the bark river camp and trail in cocobolo.
    I'm not familiar with the company and I've never put my hands on one of their knives. I would be ordering online.

So, what's your take on the quality and durability of the knives and the company overall? Any info good or bad Is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    They can be well designed for their intended task.

If the execution is messed up (bad grind, sheath problems, etc), BRK will fix it unless they deem it user error.

3. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    I only have one , in CPM 4V . That's a steel ! !

buckfynn likes this.
  4. Dangerously

Dangerously Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 8, 2013
    There has been controversy with some mis-labeled steel and blaming the buyer if they don’t like the knife. So buy it from a retailer with a good reputation for taking care of you if you don’t like it, and you’re likely golden. Knives ship free and dlt trading have been great to me for this purpose.

That said, the knives can be very good. I have a few and mostly like them. But I’m likely not going to get more, because I found other brands and custom makers in the price range that I trust more.

5. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    When it comes to BRKT, there's a lot of fan boys and some real haters as well. There's been problems with the owner/manager, customer service and their product. That being said, some people really love their knives and buy a lot. Do a search of the Good Bad and Ugly subforum and judge for yourself.

Dangerously likes this.
  6. popedandy

popedandy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2006
    The Bark River knives I have had have been well-made. I sent one in for some warranty work that was a result of my doing something stupid. They did a superb job and sent it back to me with no questions asked.

7. shinyedges

shinyedges Every man's intelligence is a god Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Don't support Mike Stewart. He's a scum bag who's screwed many people over including people on this forum. His screwing over Brian Evans basically ruined Brian's knife making.

Do some digging and decide for yourself.

herisson, Rupestris and Quiet like this.
  8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Their knives are well made. Buy with confidence from a reputable dealer.

Who is Brian Evans?

9. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Use the search function, it happened here on Bladeforums. Actually many of Mike's scummy moves are documented here over the years. I'm tired of spoon feeding people so I just point them in the right direction and they can find it if they care.

Pilsner, danbot, Quiet and 1 other person like this.
  10. James Lewis

James Lewis Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 1, 2017
    I have a few Bark River knifes and agree they are very well made. However, the history of the company isn't the best as others have brought up on the forums. Ultimately, I don't know the whole story and don't care to know. That's awesome that Bark River took good care of you.

11. Dangerously

Jan 8, 2013
  12. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    My last Bark River knife was quite nice. I know the history or as much of the history as I care to know. I just look at the knives.

James Lewis likes this.
  13. James Lewis

Dec 1, 2017
    Dang... Is Mike an actual forum member or just a couple of his staff guys/gals who show him and he responds as them?

14. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    Why even ask if you know the history and don't care to know anymore? :confused:

That is the same thing people say about qtrmstr and strider :cool:

15. James Lewis

Dec 1, 2017
    He was just curious. Legitimate question.

16. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    That's odd considering he JUST said he doesn't care to know more...

Curious but doesn't want know? o_O If that makes sense to you :thumbsup:

17. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have never heard of Brian Evans. That's why I asked. I opened the linked thread and read his summary but I don't know the outcome. If Bark River started production of the knives, then I would also be hesitant to refund any money's or deposit made as I have already committed capital to the project. It's business.

I do care. But Shinyedges, negativity is all you bring up about Bark River. I believe I suggested that I didn't need to know any more to make a decision relative to my personal buying of Bark River knives.

18. James Lewis

Dec 1, 2017
    I know what you mean. It makes sense but he was just asking a question on something he never was aware of.

19. Dangerously

Jan 8, 2013
    That’s not what happened. The information is in the thread. I can understand not taking the time to read it all, but I can’t understand making up some imagined scenario where Stewart is blameless and assuming that’s what happened.

shinyedges likes this.
  20. shinyedges

Jun 5, 2012
    The truth is negative about bark river and its owner. You outright making crap up to defend Mike's deplorable actions says enough about you.