Bark River Trailmate

I didn't know this. Are all woods stabilized or just specific ones?
Not all their woods are stabilized. My understanding is that some are too dense. But I've heard the owner of Bark River say that they stabilize some and not others. He got more specific than that about which ones get that treatment, but I can't remember the specifics.

Reactions: TAH
I have several Bark Rivers and I really, really like them. I've used many of them and I've had zero problems. Have I really thumped on any? No. But I've owned a fair amount of fixed blades and Bark River knives rise to the top in my opinion. For a cast steel, A2 is pretty great, in my limited experience. To me is a BIG step up from 1095 (a lot of other makers' default or standby steel) in terms of toughness and corrosion resistance. I believe it costs a fair amount more than 1095, though. It's the easiest of all the "Bark River steels" to sharpen (for me). I have an edge pro apex that I've used to maintain edges on other knives, but, with their convex grinds, I have really enjoyed maintaining my Bark Rivers with a two-sided strop (black and green compounds). It took my some time to practice (and I'm still improving), but it's actually been really great. Love their knives. (and I'm with you on all the drama....although I'm aware of it, I don't know much about it....I'm just in it for the knives :thumbsup:)

Well, I got the knife today! (I also got a Great Eastern Cutlery H20818 fixed hunter, clip point in natural canvas micarta, woo!) It seems pretty great so far. Pretty decent fit and finish on it, the pins are a little proud of the wood but other than that its good. The wood could have better figure for sure. The sheath also came really dry but a few coats of neatsfoot oil solved that. Great retention on it. Anyway, the knife is a little bit smaller than I thought it would be. I knew it would be small but I was still surprised. I can get a 4 finger grip on it, its actually very comfortable. Plus it came insanely sharp. I think me and this trailmate will get along just fine. :)

It sounds like a typical BR knife to me. They all tend to run a bit smaller than one might expect but the old adage, good things come in small packages, definitely applies here IMO. I think your really going to enjoy that convex grind. :eek: Anyways congrats on the new knife. :cool:

I think Mike Stewart has posted a document about the finishes they use for their woods. I'll append the document below. However, it's from 2012. I'll have to split it into 2 posts.

Updated Woods used in Bark River Knives - 1 - 26 - 12

Standard Woods:

American Walnut ---------- 6 Coats of Hand Rubbed Boiled Linseed and Shellac 2012

Traditional Dark Curly Maple-----6 coats of Tru-oil in 2006
Traditional Dark Curly Maple----6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Traditional Dark curly Maple ----6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Natural Curly Maple--------------6 coats of Tru-oil in 2006
Natural Curly Maple--------------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Natutal curly Maple ---- --------6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Bocote------------------- ------------ Hard coated in 2006
Bocote------------------- ----------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Bocote ---------------- -------------6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Zebrawood---------------- ----------Always left natural in 2006
Zebrawood---------------- ----------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Zebrawood ------------------------- 6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Amazon Bloodwood---------------A lways left natural in 2006
Amazon Bloodwood-------------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Amazon Bloodwood -------------6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Olivewood---------------- -----------Always left natural in 2006
Olivewood---------------- --------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Olivewood ---------- -------------6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Black Palm--------------------- ------Always left Natural in 2006
Black Palm--------------------- ---Stabilized – 2010
Black Palm - -------------------- Discontinued 2012

Rosewood----------------- ----------Always left natural in 2006
Rosewood----------------- -------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Rosewood --------------------- --6 Hand Rubbed Coats of Bolied Linseed and Shellac 2012

Pauduk------------------- -------------Always left natural in 2006
Pauduk------------------- ---------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Pauduk ------------------------- - Discontinued 2012

African Blackwood---------------- -Always left natural in 2006 & 2010
African Blackwood -----------------Always Left Natural and Polished with beeswax 2012

African Black Ebony------------------Al ways left natural in 2006 & 2010
African Black Ebony -----------------Always Left natural and Polished with Beeswax 2012

Macasser Ebony ---------------- Left natural and polished with Beeswax 2012

Black & White Ebony ------------- Left Natural and polished with Beeswax 2012

Osage Orange ---------------------- Always left natural--heated to bring out the dark grain in 2006
Osage Orange ------------------- Heated to bring out the dark grain then 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Osage Orange ------------------- Heated to bring out the dark grain then 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Goncalo Alves-------------------- --Always left natural in 2006
Goncalo Alves-------------------- 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Goncalo Alves -------------------- 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Phillipine Mahogany--------------Hard coated in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Phillipine Mahogany--------------Hard coated in We only have a Small Amopunt Left - Embargoed

Para-Kingwood------------ ---------Always left natural in 2006
Para-Kingwood------------ ------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Para-Kingwood------------ ------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Purple Heart-------------------- ----Always left natural in 2006
Purple Heart-------------------- -6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Purple Heart-------------------- -6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac.2012

Lignum Vite--------------------- ----Always left natural in 2006 & 2010
Lignum Vite ------------------------ Always Left natural and Polished with Beeswax 2012

Mulberry----------------- ------------Hard coated in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Mulberry ----------------------- ---Discontinued 2012

Teakwood----------------- ----------Always left natural in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Teakwood ------------------------- -- hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac 2012

Bamboo------------------- -----------Hard coated in 2006
Bamboo------------------- -------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Bamboo------------------- -------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Aged Bamboo------------------- 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Aged Bamboo------------------- 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Wenge ------------------------ 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Leopardwood Lace----------------Hard coated in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Leopardwood Lace--------------- 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Beefwood ----------------------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Tulipwood---------------- ----------Stabilized in 2006
Tulipwood---------------- -------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Tulipwood---------------- -------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2012

Tambuti ------------------ 6 Coats of hand rubbed Boiled Linseed and Shellac 2012

Desert Ironwood -------------- Always Left Natural 2010
Desert Ironwood -------------- Always Left Natural 2012

Burled & Exotic Woods:

Natural Birdseye Maple----------6 coats of Tru-oil in 2006
Natural Birdseye Maple---------Pecan Stain - then 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Natural Birdseye Maple---------Pecan Stain - then 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac.2012

Dark Birdseye Maple-------------6 coats of Tru-oil in 2006
Dark Birdseye Maple----------- Stabilized - 2010
Dark Birdseye Maple-------------6 coats of Tru-oil 2012

Black Birdseye ------------------ Stabilized 2012

Tasmanian Myrtle Burl-----------Stabilized in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Tasmanian Myrtle Burl----------- No Longer easily Avaliable 2012

Tasmanian Curly Myrtle---------Stabilized in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Tasmanian Curly Burl----------- No Longer easily Avaliable 2012

Bastone Walnut Burl-------------6 coats of Tru-oil in 2006
Bastone Walnut Burl------------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Bastone Walnut Burl------------6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac.2012

She Oak Burl ---------- Stabilized - Rare 2012

Briar Burl--------------------- --------Always left natural in 2006 – 2010 N/A2012 N/A

Amboynia Burl--------------------- -Always left natural in 2006
Amboynia Burl------------------ Stabilized - 2010
Amboynia Burl -------- We have Both Stabilized and Non-Stabilized 2012

Natural Maple Burl----------------Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Natural Maple Burl----------------Stabilized 2012

Black Maple Burl-------------------Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Black Maple Burl-------------------Stabilized 2012

Blue Maple Burl-------------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Blue Maple Burl-------------------- Stabilized 2012

Jade Big Leaf Maple Burl--------Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Jade Big Leaf Maple Burl--------Stabilized 2012

Bronze Maple Burl ----------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Bronze Maple Burl ----------------- Stabilized 2012

Golden Maple Burl ---------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Golden Maple Burl ---------------- Stabilized 2012

Spalted Maple Burl ------------ Stabilized then 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010
Spalted Maple Burl ------------ Stabilized then 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac.2012

Blue & Gold Elder or Maple Burl --------- Stabilized 2012

Natural Elder Burl ----------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Natural Elder Burl ----------------- Stabilized

Blue Elder Burl --------------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Blue Elder Burl --------------------- Stabilized 2012

Emerald Elder Burl ---------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Emerald Elder Burl ---------------- Stabilized

Crimson & Gold Elder Burl------ Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Crimson & Gold Elder Burl------ Stabilized 2012

Scarlet & Black Elder Burl--------- Stabilized 2012

Midnite Elder Burl----------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Midnite Elder Burl----------------- Stabilized 2012

Mesquite Burl--------------------- -Always left natural in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Mesquite Burl ---------------- We do not have a Reliable Supply 2012

Red Mesquite Burl---------------Always left natural in 2006 – 2010 N/A
Red Mesquite Burl ---------------- We do not have a Reliable Supply 2012

Aged Copper Burl----------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Aged Copper Burl----------------- Stabilized 2012

Black Ash Burl--------------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Black Ash Burl--------------------- Stabilized 2012

Afzalia X-Lay Burl -------------- Stabilized

California Buckeye Burl--------Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
California Buckeye Burl--------Stabilized 2012

Desert Ironwood Burl-----------Always left natural in 2006 & 2010
Desert Ironwood Burl-----------Always left natural 2012

Thuya Burl--------------------- ----Always left natural in 2006 – 2010 N/A - 2012N/A

Snakewood---------------- --------Always left natural in 2006 – 2010 N/A - 2012 N/A

Cottonwood Burl----------------- Stabilized in 2006 – 2010 N/A - 2012 N/A

Oregon Myrtle Burl--------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Oregon Myrtle Burl ----------- Stabilized but rare now 2012

Redwood Burl--------------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Redwood Burl--------------------- Stabilized 2012

Curly Koa---------------------- ----- Stabilized in 2006 – N/A
Curly Koa---------------------- ----- Stabilized but Rare 2012

Curly Birch-------------------- -----Hard-coated in 2006
Curly Birch-------------------- --6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac. 2010

Curly Birch-------------------- -- 6 hand rubbed coats of Boiled Linseed and Shellac or stabilized 2012

Olivewood Burl------------------- Stabilized in 2006 & 2010
Olivewood Burl -------------- Stabilized 2012 Now Rare

There are probably some we left off of this.

It's interesting that he only used Tru-Oil on one of the Bird's Eyes but everything else was coated in BLO. I wonder if it was for a specific reason or if it was just what he had on hand.

Heres an update, this knife is insanely sharp! Its quite a slicer. Ive been using it in the kitchen with my wife, its great. The short blade isnt ideal for big jobs but its a handy knife. It feels like a minituarized version of a full hunting knife, which it is I suppose haha. Anyway I like it so far.

"Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It was originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Leo Baekeland. These resins were used to impregnate paper and cotton fabric which were cured under pressure and high temperature to produce laminates. In later years this manufacturing method included the use of fiberglass fabric and other resin types were also used. Today Micarta high pressure industrial laminates are produced with a wide variety of resins and fibers. The term has been used generically for most resin impregnated fibre compounds. Common uses of modern high pressure laminates are as electrical insulators, printed circuit board substrates, and knife handles.

The Micarta trademark is a registered trademark of Industrial Laminates / Norplex, Inc. (dba Norplex-Micarta).
Manufacturing process[edit]

Micarta knife handle
Micarta industrial laminates are normally phenolic, epoxy, silicone, or melamine resin based thermoset materials reinforced with fiberglass, cork, cotton cloth, paper, carbon fiber or other substrates. Micarta industrial laminate sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of prepreg. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics, or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.

Micarta industrial laminates are manufactured in dozens of commercial grades.
Ownership[edit]
Micarta's industrial laminate division and name was purchased by Norplex in 2003, merging two of the largest industrial laminate manufactures in the United States. Norplex still manufactures Micarta and produces over 100 different versions of Micarta offered in sheet, tube, and rod forms. *Norplex-Micarta Industrial Composites."

Yes. There is a bit of a learning curve from flat grind to convex. Once I got it down, it seems easier than f.g.-I convexed all my axes and hatchets.--KV

Well its been a while, and Ive used my trailmate quite a bit. Its become one of my favorites. Its a great design. Just sharpened it up today actually. I love the way it feels, the handle works well and the blade is excellent. Nice belly, and gets scary sharp. I wish it was a bit pointier though sometimes. Overall, its a fantastic knife.

Well its been a while, and Ive used my trailmate quite a bit. Its become one of my favorites. Its a great design. Just sharpened it up today actually. I love the way it feels, the handle works well and the blade is excellent. Nice belly, and gets scary sharp. I wish it was a bit pointier though sometimes. Overall, its a fantastic knife.

Great to hear of Your impressions after using the knife for some months!
I don't have this model, but I own and use many BRK's.
I think they are among the top production fixed knives today made in USA.

Regards
Mikael

I've had several BR knives, but I would not buy more. A Colonial Patch knife I had in Bocote soon started warping after very light use, I had it re-handled due to poor experience of their much acclaimed warranty service. They took back another knife with defective burl handles-very reluctantly and snidely I might add, took a very long time to fix it and replaced the wood with a completely different material and ground half of the gimping off from the spine, awful job. I've had micarta warp from the tang of another knife and pins fall out from others. They may look good but I question their actual durability.

My experiences could be isolated and I hope the OP is satisfied with his knife in the long run. I am fond of the PSK knife and an original Pro-Scalpel but overall not smitten.

WP sorry to hear of Your poor experience with BRK.
I have had to rehandle a couple of my BRK's, but that was because my girls run them trough the dishwasher.
The red liners swell when wet, so I avoid them since then.
Nowadays most BRK handles are made with Corby screws and that is an improvement as I see it.
BTW I have 2 Colonial Patch knives, one in 12c27 and one in 50 100B carbon .
colpatch_cc_diw.jpg CPK_H_Rosewood_4.jpg
Cross-Cut Desert Ironwood & Honduran Rosewood
Both pinned but otherwise IMO a great design.

Tack Mikael! Your insights are valuable, obviously mine have not been the same but I've actually gone off fixed blades in general lately. I do like my Bark River PSK, Pro Scalpel and Lite Hunters though :thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Tack Mikael! Your insights are valuable, obviously mine have not been the same but I've actually gone off fixed blades in general lately. I do like my Bark River PSK, Pro Scalpel and Lite Hunters though :thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Yes, they do a lot of smaller models and the PSK is probably my most carried BRK, but not my most used.
That is because it rides in an Otterbox filled with emergency things.
Sailing-028.jpg
I got that box in a BR giveaway many years ago, but I still carry it on outdoortrips and traveling.

Regards
Mikael

Back