• STOP USING PAYPAL FRIENDS & FAMILY
    Please, help us prevent you getting ripped off because someone got their account compromised by reusing their email & password. Read the new best practices for using the Exchange FAQ page.

Bass Pro Buck 110 w/CPM154

Nobody else would post pics...so I will... :)

My Bass Pro Buck 110 w/CPM154 (is there an echo in here?) came today...Looks pretty nice! One tang stamp says "BUCK/110-|/U.S.A."; the other side has the Bos flame and "CPM 154" under it...Here's the best pic my scanner will pick up of that -

So I guess I'll have to revise my steel terminology...I've been calling it "154CPM", but I guess Paul Bos would know what it is better than me... ;)

The blade is "grayed", almost like gunblue (but gray!), don't know what it is, but I'm confident it will come right off...The scales look different from my other OEM Buck 110/112's, I have no idea what they are, and the Bass ad doesn't say -

It came with a nice brown sheath that says "110" on the back, and a little tag inside that says "Made in Mexico", but oddly enough, it doesn't say "Buck" on it anywhere...or Bass Pro either...here's a pic of the knife & sheath -

Not too much else to tell...the blade is centered, and does *not* sit proud...has a nice snap; doesn't feel gritty...

All in all, a very nice knife! :D

It's really good to actually see the "CPM154" and BOS logo, very nice. I also like the no-name sheath.

I expected mine today also, but alas the postman didn't deliver. Tomorrow I should get both the Bass Pro 110 and a Buck 805 :)

...Nice looking knife Trax...Are those scale rivets brass??...All around it's a nice looking 110...:thumbup:

Yes...Does it look too dark??? I'm trying to get this [Internet PC] IBM monitor to lighten up...my scanner PC has a Hitachi monitor and it all looks right...

...Yeah...It's a wee bit dark...I just wish I had a scanner that would do what your's does... (hmmmm...lemme see...$65 for a CPM154 blade huh??) ...:cool: :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Trax,

Let us know how the CPM154 blade holds up. I love my AG 110......But I'll go for a BP 110 also. That is if it meets your sandards!!!!!!

jb4570

Hey El Pollo...
I always called it "154CPM" as well.
Just looked at mine...
No "Mexico" tag/sticker.
"Buck" snap on sheath...otherwise no "Buck" stamp.
NO paperwork at all in box (just noticed that).
I "think" the wood is the same as the 110AG (?)

I don't have a 110AG so I don't know if the wood is the same...I have a set of eBay Mammoth tooth scales, was planning on putting them on this...also a set of Elk antler scales, for the S30V 110 I have...

I don't know about using this one...I think it will be a Paris Hilton knife...nice to look at, but never does anything...

The Bass Pro came in a yellow & black box; no paperwork other than the warranty/registration paper...The invoice had "Knife 154CPM Folding Hun 110BP5 3 3/4" Gray Coated"...Strange description for an invoice...

Funny (or not) story...Our Buck moderator might get a chuckle out of it...

I had some steel on order from a place in Buffalo; it came in so I picked it up Tuesday...Carhardt jacket; combat boots; jeans...three hours gone out of my life driving into the Big City [Buffalo]...I went by a Gander Mountain in Tonawanda, on Young street, just off the Youngman Expressway...onramp & offramp, so I stopped in to see what GM had...Big store...Walk in, big sign in back "Cutlery"...Go back, big glass counter with thousands of knives...there's a middle aged guy taking Buck knives out of yellow boxes to display...Ha! I'm in the right place!...I go up and say "Hi! I can see I'm in the right place! I'm looking for any special edition Bucks you might have"..."All our Bucks are over on that rack", he says while scowling at me...I look at the rack, about fifty feet away..."Oh, OK"...I go over and look...all clampacks...110's, 119's, 105's, some other Bucks, etc...Nothing new, nothing special...WTF???...I go back, he's got two of the yellow-box Bucks out, Sambar Stag fixed knives with polished blades...I don't recognize them, not really interested..."You have any Buck specials, like made especially for Gander Mountain???"...."No"..."Have you had any lately, like in the past year or so???"..."No"..."Do you expect to get any in???"..."No"..."OK!"...I left... :rolleyes:

Kind of a snotty guy...I liked him... :) I hope all Gander Mountain employees are like him... :p

The clampack 119's were $34.95...The clampack 105's were $49.95...The clampack 110's were $46.95...Rather strange range of prices, I thought... :confused: A 119 cost less than a 105??? :rolleyes:

The Cabela AG 110 has rosewood scales and the BassPro wood could be the same just looking at the photo. I'll take a side-by-side pic and post it when my BP 110 arrives.

Anyone used a BP CPM154 110? If so can you give us your opinion on the edge holding ability.

Thank You
jb4570

Ok, Now I have a silly question. Since the distinction has been raised. I have an Alph-Dorado that has, stamped on the blade, with BOS logo 154CM. The "Greyed" model that I saw at Bass Pro says CPM154.

Can anyone tell me the difference? Is there a difference? My thinking is that there has to be SOME kind of difference for there to be two different designations.

HELP, Now I am really confused.

Brian

Ok, Now I have a silly question. Since the distinction has been raised. I have an Alph-Dorado that has, stamped on the blade, with BOS logo 154CM. The "Greyed" model that I saw at Bass Pro says CPM154.

Can anyone tell me the difference? Is there a difference? My thinking is that there has to be SOME kind of difference for there to be two different designations.

Brian

CPM 154 is same as 154 CM but powder metallurgy steel, same way high vanadium steels from Crucible made - CPM S30V etc. It suppose to benefit from his.

Only Kershaw used this steel before on first SpecBumps, which is not available now.

I think Crucible try to address concerns which was raised about coarse edge on high vanadium steel and have something new to offer while japanese ZDP-189 marching over knife industry. Europeans use RWL-34 - which is PM ATS-34 so same as CPM154 for a while.

Thanks, Vassili.

Brian

I searched using Google and couldn't find anything with CPM 154 *AND* 154 CM on the same sheet.
So, like Brian...I ponder...

http://www.sff.net/people/pff/steel.txt

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/research/knife_information/blade_steel.php

http://www.crucibleservice.com/datash/dsS30Vv5.pdf

http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/selectorindex/selectorindextitle.html

Here's a slightly better look at that tang stamp...and I Gamma-corrected the pics in post #1 to bring out the lettering better...(hit your "Refresh" button)...

I believe the main difference between 154CM and CPM154 is the process Cruicible uses to get their final steel product.
CPM154-Crucible Particle Metallurgy process:Molten steel is atomized into fine droplets which solidify from the liquid so rapidly that the carbides are prevented from forming into large segregated networks. The solidified droplets form powder, which is then loaded into a steel can and consolidated (the individual powder particles are bonded together under high pressure), and subsequently forged or rolled into steel bars. The carbides formed during the extremely rapid solidification are fine in size (2 to 4 microns), and are uniformly distributed throughout the microstructure. Compare this to the larger carbides (up to 50 microns or more in size), and the characteristic alloy segregation or banding which results from conventional steelmaking methods.

Crucible 154 CM is a heat treatable stainless steel, which offers higher hardness and wear resistance, and enhanced corrosion resistance compared to 440C. 154 CM is not an accepted standard grade designation, rather a manufacturers trade name.

Typical Chemistry
Carbon 1.05%
Manganese 0.50%
Silicon 0.30%
Chromium 14.00%
Molybdenum 4.00%

Both steels have the same chemical compositons, but different trade names. The process to get from point A to point B is the difference.

ATS-34 is virtually the exact same alloy as 154 CM, minus 0.04% of one of the less essential elements. ATS-34 is double vacuum melted and very clean. ATS-34 is also a trade name.

What is carbide size in 154CM? It should be different otherwise what the point of making CPM 154 (or RWL34).

Thanks, Vassili.

Back