Bear Grylls Ultimate PRO Survival Knife

The new Bear Grylls knife from Shot Show 2013, looks very interesting. I have first and the best thing about it were the handle ergonomics, but i could not stand the serrations or the sheath. I got to say I am a little excited for this knife and see what it can do.

here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sj7m87zpes

P.S. Please don't flame the thread, we all have our guilty pleasures

Improvements on the knife look great! "improvements" on the sheath.... not to much. Those "V" sharpeners suck.

Also, those colors are horrible, although probably hard to lose!

Looking at just the knife, not who endorses it, I believe the improvements are a positive step forward. Gerber is slowly coming to their senses. After my experience with the Instant, I believe 2013 will be a good year for Gerber.

Hmmm, interesting. It does look like the Gerber folks listened to the feedback and did go back to the drawing board.

Of course, the proverbial "proof is in the pudding. . ."

According to the "reviewer," it was already the "best," and Gerber just made it "better."

So the former mystery steel has been reportedly replaced with steel that could have better abrasion resistance. At the cost of reduced toughness? What is the RC?

Any actual reviews out there? You know -- a calm, reasoned report by an adult about performance? Probably too early, so all we get are the Gee!!!/Wow!!!/Best!!! stuff by Gerber ("We").

Looks to be much improved from the original, good to see they listened to the critics !

V sharpeners may suck overall but in a survival situation it's probably a good idea. Simple and you don't need skill. You need to have a sharp knife to get you by until your safe. Then sharpen it properly...

I like that it is full tang this time around. I agree the sheath could be better and the V sharpener is better than nothing.

Much improved over the original "ultimate", but is it really one for the "PRO"s?

I'll still wait until others have tried it out.

I actually liked the ergos on the original, but I'm glad to see Gerber making improvents.

Looks good. I really like that steel. Well have to see how much now to see if it's worth it.

If it is 50 bucks might not be all that bad. I actually do like a v sharpener in a pinch it is better than nothing. I hate carrying a sharpener in the field. the one thing I do like about this knife is the fact that if I beat the ever lovin shit out of it and broke it...I wouldn't care! Full tang is nice, steel seems better didn't quite hear what the material the handle was and the sheath isn't terrible...it is functional. The colors are ok at least you can find it.

I'm not sure that it can repair the damage that the initial line did to peoples interests. If only those cheap hollow handled "survival knives" came with an age listing, something like 8-12 yrs. of age would be appropriate.

They seem to have a squared zone on the spine, too, which the reviewer failed either to notice or to mention. :)

I'm not sure that it can repair the damage that the initial line did to peoples interests. If only those cheap hollow handled "survival knives" came with an age listing, something like 8-12 yrs. of age would be appropriate.

This is a problem. Some of the old products are ok for what they are, which is basically a toy and not a 'serious' survival tool, despite being marketed as that. Some of the products were absolute junk. I watched one of the Bear Grylls saws break in half the first time it was used. I promise you that the guy that bought that will not be buying anything else from the line, or anything Gerber again. They put their name on a piece of junk, and as a result, future dollars will go somewhere else. My friend that bought the saw (despite my advice) is no serious outdoorsman, but bought it because that is who he felt the product was marketed to. I guess the Bear Grylls name on a practical and not coloful piece of gear would not generate as much revenue, despite being a potentially better product.

Now all of that said, this knife may be a step in the right direction. I feel the sheath may be garbage, but one can correct that if they want with an aftermarket sheath. Hopefully the steel is not too hard so it can be sharpened with whatever materials one has handy, instead of being limited to the included sharpener. I prefer to not be limited to diamond or ceramic, even though that is what I use at home. I think this is important in a piece of 'survival' equipment. Not as important when it comes to one of my edc knives. But again, if the customer is happy and it gets people outdoors, then Gerber has a winner.

When the Bear series first started coming out my Son and I got most of them. We have beat the snot out of the old fixed blade model(the improved handle one) and the Parang and they worked great! For the prices asked, they are very good knives. When the plain edged fixed blade came out I grabbed one for the collection. They aren't perfect but for the money asked, they are better than most in that price range(we paid Wallymart prices). I did send in the Parang when the recall was announced so now my beater Parang is all shiny new :) Need to throw it a beating next time I get out! The folders are pretty good too but they seem a little more lacking in fit and finish although the locks on ours are all tight and the blades are sharp :D I will probabaly get one of these new fixed blades when I see em!

I think that in many ways the BG series is a perfect "gateway drug" for a lot of laypersons. They provide examples from most of the major knife categories that are appealing to the common man but are much better than the usual Winchester/Fury/MTech fare that I so commonly see while staying within the reach of that crowd.

Back