Bear Grylls Ultimate PRO Survival Knife

altough i'm really not a steel snob, 9cr18Mov is described as a highly corrosion resistant steel used in budget and diving knives, it's the chinese equivalent of 440b. I'd expect something with more carbon in a wilderness blade honestly

altough i'm really not a steel snob, 9cr18Mov is described as a highly corrosion resistant steel used in budget and diving knives, it's the chinese equivalent of 440b. I'd expect something with more carbon in a wilderness blade honestly

Might bee showing my ignorance here but 1095 has a carbon content of around 0,9- 1,3% and 440b 0,9% and 9cr18Mov has 1,2% carbon.

Both 440b and 9cr18Mov has more carbon then 1095 in the low range and 9cr18Mov is close to the same max carbon content of 1095.

1095 is often refereed to as THE wilderness steel around here ( Well, held in high regard at least).

How do you expect something with more carbon ?? or is it just with my head up my rear ?

Congrats on your 3K posting

Thanks Neeman, I hadn't noticed that :)

Climbing Everest might have been a struggle to survive

Even that seems to have some controversy surrounding it.

Traditionally climbers got onto expeditions through merit, though public school and military connections have been a factor in the past too (as they are with all British expeditions). Today, money is the other big factor that gets people there, as seen in Jon Krakauer's excellent book. I know one very briefly famous climber, who according to her expedition leader, only summitted (using oxygen) because he had designs on her. I used to be Gear Editor of the UK publication Climber, and I don't recall Mr Grylls' name ever being mentioned in mountaineering circles prior to his trip to Everest. Not that the extreme challenge and difficulty of climbing Everest should ever be underestimated, but Mr Grylls and his publicity machine certainly did not tell the truth about him being the youngest Briton to summit. How many other false claims and lies he has told remains to be seen, but a cursory internet search seems to see him embroiled in scandal after scandal, and every one relates to fakery and not telling the truth. I wouldn't buy a used sock off Mr Grylls let alone a knife I might want to stake my life on.

...if the customer is happy and it gets people outdoors, then Gerber has a winner.

:thumbup:

Hard to miss the "La-Z-Boy Bushcraft Anti-Bear Grylls Brigade" and their comments throughout the past few pages. I do believe we are discussing the knife here, are we not?

Here's some things that the "nay-sayers" have overlooked in their zeal to condemn BG.

The color scheme. There's a reason for this. Case knives addresses it with "Hunter Yellow". Hunters address it with "Safety Orange". Soldiers address it with "Dummy Cords".

Sure, having a black handled knife with the "supersecretmallninjastealthcoating" on the blade certainly "looks" cool to some people...until the knife is misplaced. Being able to "see" the knife makes it easier to recover the knife when something goes wrong...or even the simplest error of setting it down at EENT while prepping wood for your fire. No need to discuss the yay-hoos that come up with idea of throwing the knife at a tree....and missing...

The sharpener? Putting a v-notch sharpener is brilliant and makes it almost idiot proof. I've lost count of the imbeciles that sliced their thumb or index finger while "trying" to sharpen their knife in the field with a stone. Add to that the plethora of individuals whose sharpening "skills" resemble a combination of a Gran Mal seizure and a meth head going through detox. Then you have the truly gifted who succeed in making the knife DULLER than what they started with.

The sheath? Best "universal environment" and "lowest maintenance" design possible. Wet environments are bad for leather AND fabric sheaths. Extreme heat is bad for leather sheaths. Desert environments are bad for tight fitting Kydex sheaths...a loose fitting impact resistant plastic with a friction/tab retention device is ideal for an "everywhere" sheath.

As for the opinions on BG? I'll contribute an old saying....

When egoism and jealousy make their appearance, hatred automatically joins them ~ Sai Baba

Last edited:
I have some orange handled knives. I got them because they fit with my Schrade manufacturer collection. They were special orders by Smoky Mountain Knife Works in the early '90's. But I've never felt the need for such a knife outdoors. Yeah, I've lost a knife or two over the years. Gerber did not originate the idea. The knife in question may well be a decent user. As to the price, Gerber is free to set MSRP at whatever they wish. I am pretty sure they need to make a few dollars more per unit to pay their celeb endorser. Personally, I have little use for their celeb and his endorsement. Or recent Gerber knives in general. At one time (years ago) they made decent quality knives. Then they went through ownership changes and produced crap. Maybe it is better now, but they lost their cache' as far as I am concerned.

As for the celeb BG, I got over the celeb hero thing when Lee Majors admitted that he couldn't really outrun a car. Egoism and jelousy? Projecting... projecting. :)

I know I'll never be able to do even half of what BG has done (for a lot reasons. . .)

That's OK. . .

Whatever he may or might do, he has already established and achieved both celebrity and notoriety status.

And that's OK with me too!

Now, if someone was able to get that particular Gerber KNIFE in question which, by all accounts, is a significant design improvement from the previous model across the board, and subject it to proper, informative and hopefully fun review of its capabilities. . .

That would be MORE THAN OK with me! ;)

My apologies, Codge, I wasn't making any attempt to claim "Gerber did it first"!

Agreed, Gerber has made plenty of stellar (MarkII) and "less than stellar" knives throughout the years. I carried a TAC-II for a number of years down in Central & South America and my only gripe was the pointed sheath. That's it. Still have it as well. That design should be brought back IMHO (of course, with a squared off sheath, that is).

Gerber also had one of the most bizarre marketing nightmares not too long ago...the blade steel on the LMF II changed 5 times in 18 months!

Predicting public acceptance, purchase and use of ANY knife is a gamble, one that I am glad to never have to deal with!

Last edited:
Heh! Stop with the apologies friend! No, I just meant that it was an old idea and that I found it to be of limited utility to me personally. And Gerber may well be doing much better with their innovation and production than they were at one time. Things do change with ownership and management changes. Now if they could just land the Chuck Norris/Clint Eastwood endorsement....

$70-$100 price range, yes I think there are definitely better knives out there, but part of what you're buying into, if you're buying one of these, is the notion that having "BG" on the handle somehow validates the quality and usefulness of your purchase.

Regardless, I'm continually amazed at the amount of attention that is given to these TV "survival" personalities.

Last edited:
As for the celeb BG, I got over the celeb hero thing when Lee Majors admitted that he couldn't really outrun a car. Egoism and jelousy? Projecting... projecting. ]

Lee Majors was just being humble. I used to have a car he could still outrun at his age of 72.

I'm deeply conflicted over this whole Bear Grylls knife thing.

Gerber made product improvements. --> Well it needed it badly and is still questionable.
Bear climbed Mt. Everest. --> He also ate bear poop.
Bear Grylls products help expose more people to outdoor adventure. --> Do we really want the kind of people that buy this stuff running around the wilderness?
The coloration of the Bear Grylls knife makes it hard to lose. --> I would rather lose a Bear Grylls knife than any knife I own.

Shame that the default response tends to be negative towards Grylls and Gerber from many nay sayers who have never even handled one of these blades - the new knife looks good and has the features of a capable knife and its cheap, I fail to see how this can be a ripoff at street price!?!?!?

This one looks like a winner and the whole Gerber/Grylls thing has promoted hobbies many of us enjoy and promoted blades in a positive light despite the negative media environment.

The new knife looks better, I'll agree to that, but did you even read the main part of my post? How could it be a good value when, for the same amount of money, you could get a Becker and still have some cash left over?

Gerber made product improvements. --> Well it needed it badly and is still questionable.
Bear climbed Mt. Everest. --> He also ate bear poop.
Bear Grylls products help expose more people to outdoor adventure. --> Do we really want the kind of people that buy this stuff running around the wilderness?
The coloration of the Bear Grylls knife makes it hard to lose. --> I would rather lose a Bear Grylls knife than any knife I own.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hard to miss the "La-Z-Boy Bushcraft Anti-Bear Grylls Brigade" and their comments throughout the past few pages. I do believe we are discussing the knife here, are we not?

Here's some things that the "nay-sayers" have overlooked in their zeal to condemn BG.

The color scheme. There's a reason for this. Case knives addresses it with "Hunter Yellow". Hunters address it with "Safety Orange". Soldiers address it with "Dummy Cords".

Sure, having a black handled knife with the "supersecretmallninjastealthcoating" on the blade certainly "looks" cool to some people...until the knife is misplaced. Being able to "see" the knife makes it easier to recover the knife when something goes wrong...or even the simplest error of setting it down at EENT while prepping wood for your fire. No need to discuss the yay-hoos that come up with idea of throwing the knife at a tree....and missing...

The sharpener? Putting a v-notch sharpener is brilliant and makes it almost idiot proof. I've lost count of the imbeciles that sliced their thumb or index finger while "trying" to sharpen their knife in the field with a stone. Add to that the plethora of individuals whose sharpening "skills" resemble a combination of a Gran Mal seizure and a meth head going through detox. Then you have the truly gifted who succeed in making the knife DULLER than what they started with.

The sheath? Best "universal environment" and "lowest maintenance" design possible. Wet environments are bad for leather AND fabric sheaths. Extreme heat is bad for leather sheaths. Desert environments are bad for tight fitting Kydex sheaths...a loose fitting impact resistant plastic with a friction/tab retention device is ideal for an "everywhere" sheath.

As for the opinions on BG? I'll contribute an old saying....

It appears we've found someone who buys the Gerber/BG line of products. How's that working out for you by the way? Heard a couple of them got recalled, did you have a chance to get your replacements yet? Didn't mean to insult your hero, man. I just think Grylls is a joke.

Before you start calling people "La-Z-Boy Bushcrafters" you should take a look in the mirror dude. You're the one rushing to the defense of a known fraud and going on-and-on about the corny features of overpriced Chinese junk knives made for the masses. I've been an Outdoorsman for 25 years and I learned the craft from men who are the genuine article, not over-hyped stuntmen like Grylls.

If you want to keep buying Grylls bogus products be my guest, but I'll "contribute an old saying" of my own...
A fool and his money are lucky to get together in the first place.

Last edited:
It appears we've found someone who buys the Gerber/BG line of products. How's that working out for you by the way? Heard a couple of them got recalled, did you have a chance to get your replacements yet? Didn't mean to insult your hero, man. I just think Grylls is a joke.

Before you start calling people "La-Z-Boy Bushcrafters" you should take a look in the mirror dude. You're the one rushing to the defense of a known fraud and going on-and-on about the corny features of overpriced Chinese junk knives made for the masses. I've been an Outdoorsman for 25 years and I learned the craft from men who are the genuine article, not over-hyped stuntmen like Grylls.

I notice that you didn't actually refute any of his points...

If we are discussing the knife why put this comment?

Back