Bear Grylls Ultimate PRO Survival Knife

I hate to be a Negative Nancy here guys but I'm really surprised at how many people on this thread are actually singing the praises of yet another piece of junk from Gerber/Bear Grylls. The real Bear Grylls survival kit should be a personal stylist, a caterer and a fancy hotel room, the very tools utilized by the man himself. If you really want an affordable and reliable "survival knife", look no further than Condor.

I agree it needs a makeup kit in the sheath. This knifes grind lines do look ok and the full tang and handle look nice. It's more of a LMF quality now.

I hate to be a Negative Nancy here guys but I'm really surprised at how many people on this thread are actually singing the praises of yet another piece of junk from Gerber/Bear Grylls. The real Bear Grylls survival kit should be a personal stylist, a caterer and a fancy hotel room, the very tools utilized by the man himself. If you really want an affordable and reliable "survival knife", look no further than Condor.

If bladeforums had a 'like' button, I would click it.

They seem to have a squared zone on the spine, too, which the reviewer failed either to notice or to mention. :)

First thing I noticed too. These people doing reviews don't really know much about their products. Saw a video with Les S. on his line and he seemed kinda not knowing much about his knife line either.

Hahaha--just for the record, I'm not singing its praises as much as saying that it has a place in the market and that place isn't wholly negative. It's at least a knife that doesn't totally suck, and Gerber has one of the largest and most extensive distribution networks of any major knife company, which means it's exposure to laypersons is about as strong as one can get. So I do see this as a largely positive step for the company and for inducting common folk into the joys of truly good knives. ;)

I think the design looks cool and I'm glad they did away with the serrations. I know it's just me but I would be more prone to buy one if the logoing was [way] more subtle. Perhaps if the had a grey/black or olive/black option, it would be more appealing. I got one of the Gen 2 ultimate survivals for my birthday from my brother and I hemmed and hawed but in the end I knew I wouldn't really carry it just due to the branding so I returned it. Is that so wrong?

I hear ya but to be honest their are not many that will push their blades to the point that they will fail! I dont see someone prying and to be honest prying is stupid unless absolutely necessary and a last resort. Chopping....too short and I think chopping is a ridiculous way of losing a ton of calories making little to no progress! Baton...it will be just fine with its respective diameter. So much of what is out there is considerably over built and unless you are Noss or have something to prove you probably will never break your knife. I see people throw..knives...dumb! Ground them...dumb! Try and break cinder blocks...dumb! This is obviously not the knife you should buy. Knock bear all you want but he wasnt always an entertainer and yes he has drank his piss, eats maggots, jumps out of airplanes, climbed everest at 17!, and has been to more place with less gear then everyone except maybe les! He has the record to show for it...yes he has became commercialized but there are not many that can hang with him...I certainly cant! As for this knife...for the overwhelming masses it will be more than fine. Its not a horrible steel, not too thin, has a full tang, and will do what it needs to do. I wont get one. I had one LMF II back 6 years ago and beat it to death...I dumped it because if was serrated the rubber grip showed some wear but it still took everything I could do to it. Since I have a number of Barks, Falks, ESEE, and Beckers. Do I like them more...absolutely...but they were all at least 2x the cost. The said thing is I dont use them as much as I spent on them. Once again my point is for the overwhelming masses it will be fine and it is at least a step up from the crap they had before. Most will never know the difference. Take no offense just for what it is worth.

I don't have a problem with the knives themselves, or the man who's behind them. (It's a TV show, did you really expect it to be 100% real? I've got no idea why some people love to hate the guy.)
What bugs me is the price that these things are going for. The Ultimate PRO knife is available for preorder on KnifeCenter for $78, not including shipping. For that amount of money, you could get a Becker, a used ESEE, a few Condors, or more than a few Moras. It's a ripoff.

Aside from the crappy merchandise, I dont like Grylls because hes dangerous and he's going to get someone killed. He's nothing more than a celebrity stuntman, not a real survivalist. 90% of the things he does should never be attempted in a real survival situation.

Yep theres a disclaimer at the beginning of the show but so what? The average person watching thinks "Ok, this is wilderness survival". What if that same person should find himself in a true survival situation? "I need water so I'm going to make a rope and descend this 200 foot mine shaft just like Bear did!" Real wilderness survival is about using your head and trusting your instincts, not jumping off cliffs and drinking pee.

Lets not forget Grylls was having his "survival" shoots catered. And during these shoots he was spending his nights in fancy hotels, not in the bush. He does market Chinese junk and call it quality survival gear, marketed to people who know little or nothing about the bush. The man is said to have many accomplishments, I'll not deny it. Who cares? He's still a fraud.

Lets not forget Grylls was having his "survival" shoots catered. And during these shoots he was spending his nights in fancy hotels, not in the bush. He does market Chinese junk and call it quality survival gear, marketed to people who know little or nothing about the bush. The man is said to have many accomplishments, I'll not deny it. Who cares? He's still a fraud.

I don't like him much either and he takes risk that are completely irresponsible and should never be taken in a survival situation. But those are big actuations it still doesn't dismiss that he is jumping out of planes...I am not, haven't in 10 years! My point is, he is still doing stuff in situations and environments that no one else is doing. People buy into it...it is entertainment. Love him or hate him he is doing much more than you and I. He has more experience, more training, and far and away more time at survival, climbing, hunting, or so on then I will do. But that is his job. I don't watch him and much prefer les or ray over him.

Let's trounce Grylis and Gerber

But..
A repectable knife maker here, gives very favorable reviews to these knives

Gerber has excellent marketing to attract regular folk to a hyped but useful knife
Gerber have been making inexpensive to medium range knives for a long time

Grylis affected English youth into going outdoors by becoming the Chief Scout Master for British Scouting
A great accomplishment

Eton-educated posh boys always do OK for themselves, I doubt Grylls has had to struggle that hard to survive. The word 'fake' seems to follow him around like a shadow, and he seems quite happy to put his name to anything if he's paid for it. How much he actually had to do with this knife, and whether any actual involvement would be a positive or negative thing, remains to be seen in my opinion. His popularity beyond gullible schoolboys is a loss to me.

Eton-educated posh boys always do OK for themselves, I doubt Grylls has had to struggle that hard to survive. The word 'fake' seems to follow him around like a shadow, and he seems quite happy to put his name to anything if he's paid for it. How much he actually had to do with this knife, and whether any actual involvement would be a positive or negative thing, remains to be seen in my opinion. His popularity beyond gullible schoolboys is a loss to me.

Congrats on your 3K posting

Climbing Everest might have been a struggle to survive

Shame that the default response tends to be negative towards Grylls and Gerber from many nay sayers who have never even handled one of these blades - the new knife looks good and has the features of a capable knife and its cheap, I fail to see how this can be a ripoff at street price!?!?!?

This one looks like a winner and the whole Gerber/Grylls thing has promoted hobbies many of us enjoy and promoted blades in a positive light despite the negative media environment.

Back