1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Becker BK7 snapped while processing wood

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by LoganParisciani, Oct 23, 2016.

1. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    This! No reason this knife should have failed in this manner, period. Something was wrong with it.

2. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    OP, that isn't normal for a Becker. I suspect they will replace it. Give them another chance. Every so often a lemon slips through with production blades. As someone who has put my BK9 and BK7 throught the ringer, batoning and all, I can say they are plenty tough. And ignore the axe suggestions; why use an axe when batoning is much more fun?

3. LoganParisciani

LoganParisciani

Oct 8, 2016
    thank you! Exactly my point

4. LoganParisciani

LoganParisciani

Oct 8, 2016
    I suspected it wasn't normal, I've heard nothing but good about Becker. Maybe it was a lemon. If they replace it I will definitely give them another chance.

5. dug24

dug24

Jan 21, 2014
    So you used you knife like and axe and it broke? :rolleyes:

6. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    When someone batons with a Becker and it works they are a hero, when the knife breaks they are a villian... smh...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. DunkEm

DunkEm Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Call KA-BAR tomorrow. I bet they take care of you.

8. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Logan,
    call Ka-Bar tomorrow - explain what you were doing and what happened and ask where you should ship the knife so they can inspect it. (or if you email them, include these pictures)
    looking at the second picture, there are some dark spots in the silver grain of the metal -- those may be shadows, or they may be inclusions in the metal that caused it to be weak in that spot.
    giving them the chance to inspect the blade may land you a free replacement, even though batonning is described as abuse in the Kabar warranty.

Yes, sometimes things like this happen when they shouldn't.

best of luck and please reply back after you get Kabar's response.

9. Ruzster

Ruzster

May 7, 2001
    Becker is great company. As far as production blades go, one of the best. I've had great cs experience with them. Wish you well.

10. tradewater

tradewater Geezerator Moderator

Jan 24, 2011
    I like to process wood by burning it. In a camp fire. Saves knife blades. :thumbup:

11. The Warrior

The Warrior -Dubzerator- Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    I'm sure KA-BAR will take care of it. I've beat the living dog snot out of my BK9, including lots of batonning, with no issues.

12. Gaston444

Gaston444

Oct 1, 2014
    I never quite get why someone would want more of the same...

And the suggestion to conceal the break, so that other customers can't notice a pattern, is pretty awesome too...

Gaston

13. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    Oh, I've seen patterns and they have absolutely nothing to do with Beckers and Kabar.

14. DavidCAndersen

DavidCAndersen

Nov 11, 2013
    Logan, what side of the knife were you striking with the baton when it broke? If you were striking on the handle side, that is actually much harder on a knife than striking on the tip side. It can be enough to break even the toughest of knives.

That said, like others have said, get in touch with Ka-bar and I'm sure they will make it right.

15. Ethan Becker

Ethan Becker Moderator Moderator

Sep 1, 1999
    Hey Logan.....

First of all I am sorry this happened to you....... l baton judiciously all the time and have yet to experience a failure..... that said there could well have been a small chip in the blade which created a stress fracture which in turn caused catastrophic failure......

I noticed that there is a lot of what I suspect is baton detritus on the thumb ramp which would indicate that you batonned between the handle and the target area.... This is one of the best ways to create a failure....... Please contact Ka-Bar at 800 282-0130 and they will help you.....If you get a chance please contact me at423 295-2500 this evening.... after seven EST and I would like to talk about how it happened and help you avoid a similar event in future..... I am looking forward to talking to you......

Ethan

16. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    Very few baton with axes, although it can be done. Usually, they chop with an axe. YMMV

17. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    And there you have it:D

18. shaving sharp

shaving sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  19. DavidCAndersen

DavidCAndersen

Nov 11, 2013
    That was my thought as well