Test ad

Beckerhead firearms

Has anyone shot the Remington UMC 9mm ammo? I got an email with a pretty decent price and am thinking about ordering a case.

I used to shoot that stuff 10-12 years ago when I got my first pistol. Had a dud or two in a couple thousand rounds but nothing else stands out good or bad about it. Haven't shot it in a long time though.

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My experience is it's fine plinking ammo for the range unless you're a demanding target shooter.

Just spent a bunch of time on a clays course with some buddies and my 20ga Mossberg 500. Feeling a little fonder of it today.

tradewater

Geezerator
Has anyone shot the Remington UMC 9mm ammo? I got an email with a pretty decent price and am thinking about ordering a case.

Rural King had it on sale a while back and I stocked up. I shoot the hell out of it. Not bad at all. :thumbup:

Brownells is having a sale on most Glock pistols mags plus promo codes gets you extra discounts and free shipping. L9S is good for $10 off a $100 order and free shipping and L9Q is good for $30 off a $300 order and free shipping. Just ordered a 10-pack of G19 mags and a 10-pack or G22 mags and paid less than $360 for everything shipped.

If you have the facebooks or teh twitter you might want to follow Mr Gunsngear, he's always posting good deals to ammo, mags and stuff.

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
I get that stuff.
What do you want a SBR for? Does it DO anything useful for you, firearm-wise, or is it just desire for a curio?

that is legally not an SBR. so, yah, don't even think that.

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
You know how everyone always obeys the speed limit even when they know they won't get caught? It's like that.

except it's a federal level felony, goto jail, all that. t'ain't a joke. BATF* loves that shit, unless you paid the tax stamps...

i should advise anyone to never be seen applying a pistol with a wrist brace to the shoulder, or even a free cheek weld.

i've been led to believe that mounting anything that can be construed as a stock to a pistol is a bad juju nonono.

i would also advise people to revisit their posts (that means bighoss) and remove any suggestion that a shoulder is involved. cuz, batf*

seriously

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
if the hearing protection act passes ... super cool...

and then if they manage to get SBR in there too ...

i would be all over a folding stock 300BLK SBR'ed carbine with integral suppressor :D

or two :D

except it's a federal level felony, goto jail, all that. t'ain't a joke. BATF* loves that shit, unless you paid the tax stamps...

i should advise anyone to never be seen applying a pistol with a wrist brace to the shoulder, or even a free cheek weld.

i've been led to believe that mounting anything that can be construed as a stock to a pistol is a bad juju nonono.

i would also advise people to revisit their posts (that means bighoss) and remove any suggestion that a shoulder is involved. cuz, batf*

seriously

I hate to quote myself, but here goes....

As far as shouldering a pistol brace... I have no desire to be the test case but, when first announced, I felt that there was no way the BATF&E/Justice Dept. could win a case where "misuse" was construed to be a "redesign" as described in the letter declaring shouldering verboten. Seems that they are also a bit dubious themselves based on the recently leaked white paper.

"ATF has not made another NFA determination where a shooter’s use alone was deemed be a “redesign” of the product/firearm resulting in an NFA classification. This ruling has caused confusion and concern among firearm manufacturers, dealers, and consumers about the extent to which unintended use of a product may be a basis for NFA classification. To mitigate this confusion and concern, ATF could amend the determination letter to remove the language indicating that simple use of a product for a purpose other than intended by the manufacturer – without additional proof or redesign – may result in re-classification as an NFA weapon."

They are considering dropping the language from the determination letter, but the statement that that there have been no other determinations like this leads me to believe that any competent lawyer would argue this in defense. Given the low chance of successful prosecution, I'd like to think that it's unlikely for the Justice Dept to even try to make this case. That said, I still don't plan on being the test case...

Full text of the white paper is here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...d-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations.pdf

It's a good read. Shows that there are those in Government employ that practice common sense...at least in my opinion.

Edit: And all of this said, I bit the bullet (haha) and ponied up $200X5 for some SBR stamps on Form 1's. 300BLK pistol with a brace is fine with subsonic ammo, but not particularly pleasant with supers. So 300BLK SBR was needed for pig hunting. Also, the ladies complained about shooting the 9mm AR pistol with the brace, so a Glock version and Colt SMG magazine version were required. A real stock does work so much better for me, but YMMV.

I'll repeat that the ergos of an SBR are much better than an AR pistol with a brace or blade. Also, I think caliber choice plays a factor as well. Sure, an SBR in 5.56mm is cool, but you do give up some performance, although arguably not as much as you would if it were .308 Win. I believe the 300BLK and 9mm are excellent choices since ballistics are good out of short barrels. And one of the chief benefits of a 7-10" SBR is that you can put a 6" silencer (or suppressor if you prefer, but I'm not pedantic about the terms) on it and it is still about 16" carbine length. This is a great benefit both in hunting (especially stalking) and home defense.

Everyone needs to contact their legislators about the HPA. General consensus in the industry is that it is likely to pass IF it goes to a general vote. The challenge will be to get the Bill out of committee. I've been stocking up an a few extra silencers to have some in inventory (not sure I ever mentioned I added an SOT to my FFL a little over a year ago...just before the rush...dumb luck on my part). If it leaves committee, I'll be buying some stocking dealer packages before every FFL in the county can grab them. There are only about 8,000 SOTs and about 450,000 FFLs....so I figure inventory at distributors and manufactures will last 2 hours or less if the flood gates open.

And a couple gratuitous photos (a pair of 300BLK SBRs)

PDW - Troy PDW stock with AAC 762-SDN-6 silencer, EOTech sight and magnifier, Streamlight TLR-2s (light/laser), and MBUIS (you know, in case the EOTech and Streamlight both break...)

Pig Gun - VLTOR stock also with AAC silencer, Leupold Firedot 2-7x, Streamlight TLR-1 Gamespotter (green LED)

I see you like the 762...
Are those both 300 BLK?
Not a big black rifle fan, but I do find that pig gun appealing.

I see you like the 762...
Are those both 300 BLK?
Not a big black rifle fan, but I do find that pig gun appealing.

Yes, both are. I was a fan back in the early days when the 6.8 SPC fans were bagging on 300BLK. I think we know who made the right call... I've used 157 grain PSP's from Right 2 Bear Ammo on the two pigs I've shot with it. Not quite as quiet as subsonic, but hits hard. Both hit in the near side shoulder and exited opposite shoulder or lung. One shot each...gonna take forever to use up all the ammo...

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
best i can recall without looking it up, the 300blk was designed from the get go for a variety of things, without compromising too much on any of them. can run sub-sonic, so suppressor friendly. can run hotter for distance in a longer barrel (no suppressor obvious). works well in SBR configs.

now, if there was only a reasonable pistol version ;) probably is, i'm just not aware of it.

probably my "next thing".

for PDW, i went with an AR57 some years ago, bit more practical than a PS90 i think, but the same magazines. 50 pews. nice cartridge. matching pistol for lols. very light combo. AR57 made an integrally suppressed system as well, badass but not worth $400 and paperwork, i'd rather have target range for plates :D

for amusement, the 22wmr varietal (i saw john wick), in cmr-30 and pmr-30 is a nice backpack carry, but not terrible serious. fun.

for right now bump in the night though, a browning 44mag lever action might be the first reach. we got bears and occasional crazy dogs. pairs nicely with the SW six inch.

shame there isn't a cheap .460 lever gun :D fun round that. 44 mag is my fav. hell, shame there isn't a good AR system for that.

best i can recall without looking it up, the 300blk was designed from the get go for a variety of things, without compromising too much on any of them. can run sub-sonic, so suppressor friendly. can run hotter for distance in a longer barrel (no suppressor obvious). works well in SBR configs.

now, if there was only a reasonable pistol version ;) probably is, i'm just not aware of it.

probably my "next thing".

for PDW, i went with an AR57 some years ago, bit more practical than a PS90 i think, but the same magazines. 50 pews. nice cartridge. matching pistol for lols. very light combo. AR57 made an integrally suppressed system as well, badass but not worth $400 and paperwork, i'd rather have target range for plates :D

for amusement, the 22wmr varietal (i saw john wick), in cmr-30 and pmr-30 is a nice backpack carry, but not terrible serious. fun.

for right now bump in the night though, a browning 44mag lever action might be the first reach. we got bears and occasional crazy dogs. pairs nicely with the SW six inch.

shame there isn't a cheap .460 lever gun :D fun round that. 44 mag is my fav. hell, shame there isn't a good AR system for that.

Correct on the 300BLK. Supers, subs, suppressed, unsuppressed....no need to change buffer weights, springs, or anything else. Gas port sized to work with pistol length gas tube in any of the four combinations without a variable gas block or other tweaks.

Darnit! Now you've got me looking at AR57 uppers...just what I need!

Bladite

ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb
Correct on the 300BLK. Supers, subs, suppressed, unsuppressed....no need to change buffer weights, springs, or anything else. Gas port sized to work with pistol length gas tube in any of the four combinations without a variable gas block or other tweaks.

Darnit! Now you've got me looking at AR57 uppers...just what I need!

5.7 is nifty but expensive...

.22WMR is quite nifty but rimfire...

you'd think some one would make something like the HKMP7 for civvies but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO damn batf :D

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure 300blk is optimized in a 9" even in the supersonic loadings

I used to frequent 300BlkTalk several years back (not enough time lately), and that was the optimal barrel length stated by the designer of the cartridge (Robert Silvers). This was based on standard powders used for commercial loads; slower powders in handloads may require a longer barrel to fully combust. But with factory loads, any barrel past 9" is not going to help much (if at all) with velocity.

daizee

there's a lot of interesting overlap among cartridges, new and old.

.30-30 and .357 run about the same pressures, and very similar bullet weights. The .30-30 case has only a modest amount more volume available for powder. With a long enough barrel, you can get the .357 pretty close to a .30-30 (at the muzzle). Or you can go heavy and push a 180gr bullet from the same case. The .300blk is interesting mainly because it fits in the AR platform, but the case volumes and bullet weights are all sorta similar. The Blackout's advantage is its higher allowed pressure and spitzer bullets for better downrange ballistics.

Of these three, the old .30-30 owns the top end, with [email protected], [email protected] out of a 20" lever carbine. But it's going to be a full-size rifle.

The .357 probably covers the greatest range of weapons, from pistols to 18" lever carbines, and hitting hard within its range (lousy aerodynamics).

And the Blackout owns the combat platform, probably matching the .30-30's practical range due to better aerodynamics, even with the same bullet at a slower speed - but less energy.
So pick what's important to you... If you're handloading, you can pretty much make any one of those do MOST of the job of any of them, ballistically.

Last edited:
there's a lot of interesting overlap among cartridges, new and old.

.30-30 and .357 run about the same pressures, and very similar bullet weights. The .30-30 case has only a modest amount more volume available for powder. With a long enough barrel, you can get the .357 pretty close to a .30-30 (at the muzzle). Or you can go heavy and push a 180gr bullet from the same case. The .300blk is interesting mainly because it fits in the AR platform, but the case volumes and bullet weights are all sorta similar. The Blackout's advantage is its higher allowed pressure and spitzer bullets for better downrange ballistics.

Of these three, the old .30-30 owns the top end, with [email protected], [email protected] out of a 20" lever carbine. But it's going to be a full-size rifle.

The .357 probably covers the greatest range of weapons, from pistols to 18" lever carbines, and hitting hard within its range (lousy aerodynamics).

And the Blackout owns the combat platform, probably matching the .30-30's practical range due to better aerodynamics, even with the same bullet at a slower speed - but less energy.
So pick what's important to you... If you're handloading, you can pretty much make any one of those do MOST of the job of any of them, ballistically.

Good analysis. And toss in the 7.62X39mm at 123-125 grains running 2300-2400 fps if you want to shoot a commie gun. Ballistically in the same ballpark as well.

daizee

Good analysis. And toss in the 7.62X39mm at 123-125 grains running 2300-2400 fps if you want to shoot a commie gun. Ballistically in the same ballpark as well.

Yup, but without the same established versatility in bullet weights, so you can get a lot more mileage from the others if you want to be creative.