Test ad

Beckerhead firearms

Wow, beautiful piece. :thumbup:

Thanks!

Yeah, baby!
Same model I've got, but I see you have the aftermarket grips and extended mag well. I removed the extended mag well because it didn't work smoothly with flat-bottomed mags. Lot more wear on mine, though. ;)

I actually added the magwell on this one. It didn't come with one. I've recently added the ED Brown magwell, VZ grips, Wilson slide stop, Wilson recoil spring guide, and a Wilson spring plug. Oh, I also put some talon grips tape on the front strap.

It doesn't go in and out of a holster, so it doesn't show much wear. It does have a few thousand rounds through it, although I haven't shot much in the last year. I need to start getting more range time in again.

I've been thinking about starting an AR build and have been looking at lower receivers. My local shop has anderson lowers for around $65, but can't find a whole lot of info on them. Are they worth it?

No AR, and no idea. And not likely to get the chance anymore... Mixed reviews online - love/hate.
But they're $60 direct, and PSA blems are another $10 cheaper than that.
But I will surely defer to someone (anyone) who's had a chance to shoot either.

They are good quality. And Anderson stands by their products after the sale. They also manufacture for other manufacturers or builders, so you'll find their products with other folks names engraved or roll-stamped on the side.

Wholesale cost is under $40. JoeBob Outfitters has them for $45 for the open trigger guard (standard) or $50 for the closed trigger version. Of course you'd have to pay an FFL for the transfer which might make it more expensive.

I've been thinking about starting an AR build and have been looking at lower receivers. My local shop has anderson lowers for around $65, but can't find a whole lot of info on them. Are they worth it?

PSA blems are the way to go IMO. My dad has built 8 or so AR's with them and we can rarely find where the blemish is on any of them. There are a lot of AR snobs who say PSA parts are no good but we've fired all of ours countless times and they're all still going strong with nary a problem.

1066vik

Gold Member
$65 out the door is pretty close to what you'll pay for a blem, shipping, and transfer fees at your local FFL, so I'd start with the local guy and see if he has any other parts he'll sell you as a bundle deal.

My neighbor ended up selling me one of the anderson lowers he had laying around for under what it would cost to get one transfered to my FFL, I would have liked to get a PSA lower, but for the price I couldn't turn it down. Now just to figure what I want to do with it. I'm thinking pistol. But not sure if I want to go standard 559 or. 300 blackout

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My neighbor ended up selling me one of the anderson lowers he had laying around for under what it would cost to get one transfered to my FFL, I would have liked to get a PSA lower, but for the price I couldn't turn it down. Now just to figure what I want to do with it. I'm thinking pistol. But not sure if I want to go standard 559 or. 300 blackout

what's the appeal of an AR pistol?
Dedinitely don't go 5.56 for a pistol. huge waste of powder, pressure, and noise. .300 Blackout makes a lot more sense. Or, you know, a .357 revolver... ;)

what's the appeal of an AR pistol?
Dedinitely don't go 5.56 for a pistol. huge waste of powder, pressure, and noise. .300 Blackout makes a lot more sense. Or, you know, a .357 revolver... ;)

For me it's the ability to get the short barrel without messing with an SBR stamp.

And I definitely like the appeal of .300 blackout, but due to the fact I don't reload I'm just not sure about ammo cost/availability

daizee

For me it's the ability to get the short barrel without messing with an SBR stamp.

And I definitely like the appeal of .300 blackout, but due to the fact I don't reload I'm just not sure about ammo cost/availability

I get the SBR thing, but... why would you want such an ungainly pistol in those calibers?
Note I'm not saying you shouldn't... if there's something I'm missing, please explain!

I get the SBR thing, but... why would you want such an ungainly pistol in those calibers?
Note I'm not saying you shouldn't... if there's something I'm missing, please explain!

It's an SBR without the SBR paperwork. That's why I got my AK pistol.

Found a website that had Complete Glock 22 and 23 gen 3 frames with all the parts still in them for $130 each. Pretty sure they're used but that's fine by me, ordered two of each. One is going to be a host for my .22 or conversion so I'll have one dedicated fullsize .22 Glock and two are getting chopped so I'll have a 19l and a 26l when I'm done. Not sure what I'll do with the last 23 frame but for the price I figured I might as well. Combat armory.com is the name of the site and you will have to have them shipped to an FFL. Found a different site that had stripped frames without any of the small parts for $75 each, I'll have to go back and find that one again. I think I'm gonna get a 26 frame from them to make a dedicated .22 subcompact.

Glock PDW kit came in today. Hopefully will get to shoot it this weekend.

On a gen 2 Glock 22
16806948_10154768517705219_9217283493630015185_n.jpg

On a gen 3 Glock 17
16797570_10154768517585219_4246084290054525228_o.jpg

Firstly, this brace fits generations 1, 2, and 3 fullsize Glock pistols EXCEPT for SF models. It also doesn't fit gen 4's and it won't fit a pistol that has had a grip reduction that alters or fills the opening behind the magwell. Second, it doesn't come with a castle nut but you're going to want one. When threaded all the way down my tube is about 180 degrees off from being clocked properly so I need a castle nut to lock the tube down so it's clocked right. You'll be glad to know that even in it's shortest position (pictured) the slide is still a few inches away from your face when locked back so no worries about missing teeth.

Comb height is a little high so it's a little hard to get the irons lined up but would probably work well with a red dot either mounted to the slide or on a bridge over the slide.

The longest position seems easiest to use but adds a few inches to the OAL which is kinda self defeating.

I need to rig up a single point sling for it for testing.

daizee

It's an SBR without the SBR paperwork. That's why I got my AK pistol.

I get that stuff.
What do you want a SBR for? Does it DO anything useful for you, firearm-wise, or is it just desire for a curio?

It's just cool. I mean, they are more compact which makes it easier to transport and maneuver but for me it's just the cool factor and maybe a little bit the transport factor. If I needed it for anything serious I'd do the paperwork and get an actual stock that I can shoulder but then again if I needed it for anything serious it would probably be issued to me by the people paying me to do serious things. Actually that is the case because I carry an M4 at work which has a 14" barrel and it's full f**king auto.

daizee

It's just cool. I mean, they are more compact which makes it easier to transport and maneuver but for me it's just the cool factor and maybe a little bit the transport factor. If I needed it for anything serious I'd do the paperwork and get an actual stock that I can shoulder but then again if I needed it for anything serious it would probably be issued to me by the people paying me to do serious things. Actually that is the case because I carry an M4 at work which has a 14" barrel and it's full f**king auto.

Ok, yeah.

I understand why the military would shorten a barrel so much (to 14"), though not why it would make sense as a pistol. Obviously the military has a huge incentive to make most of their equipment compatible with themselves. I understand the semi-auto carbine thing in context.

But as a privately owned firearm, I don't get it beyond the curio thing. And I DO get that people like that - I just don't have room for such. Ballistics, noise, controllability, carryability all suffer in these conversions. Changing the firearm so drastically without changing the chambering seems a little goofy, IMO. Why not stick with 20-35k PSI and a modest powder volume while throwing a bigger slug down a short barrel? Or go for the 5.7mm? Large powder volumes, high pressures, and long barrels all go together because physics. Change either one too much, and you lose a ton of efficiency. That's why I keep poking at it.

1066vik

Gold Member

subsonic ammo runs $1.05-$1.25 per round, non-subsonic can be found as cheap as $0.42 a round..

Ok, yeah.

I understand why the military would shorten a barrel so much (to 14"), though not why it would make sense as a pistol. Obviously the military has a huge incentive to make most of their equipment compatible with themselves. I understand the semi-auto carbine thing in context.

But as a privately owned firearm, I don't get it beyond the curio thing. And I DO get that people like that - I just don't have room for such. Ballistics, noise, controllability, carryability all suffer in these conversions. Changing the firearm so drastically without changing the chambering seems a little goofy, IMO. Why not stick with 20-35k PSI and a modest powder volume while throwing a bigger slug down a short barrel? Or go for the 5.7mm? Large powder volumes, high pressures, and long barrels all go together because physics. Change either one too much, and you lose a ton of efficiency. That's why I keep poking at it.
An SBR in the right caliber can be damn useful-7.62x39 works pretty well out of a 12". Even 5.56 in a shorty still punches armor better than pistol/subsonic rifle...and everything is loud indoors
All that being said, I haven't dropped the time/$$$ on an sbr either, because when it comes down to it a 14-1/2" with a welded flash hider really is short enough for me