Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

Took my first foray into hand forging a blade from an old file. Started out promising enough. Built a guard and pommel from some mild steel--that was also a first for me--the heat treatment went smooth, and the temper was a nice straw yellow, but then went to peen the tang, and well...

20190406-203301.jpg

Ah well. It was a learning experience for sure. Starting to build a proper forge, so there's lots more experimenting to come. Note to self: try two temper cycles, a bit hotter. Got too impatient to see it done.

D'oh!
I just broke a file knife recently myself.
Can you shoot a picture inside the break so we can see the grain structure?
All those teeth in files are stress risers, and they can be loaded with tiny invisible cracks from their previous life.

Tried to get some clear pictures of the grain, this is the best my phone is capable of, lol. Damned auto focus.

I knew something was up after the temper when a file cut on the lower half but still skated off the foible area. But, I was in a rush to finish. Lesson learned.

20190410-105135.jpg

20190410-105107.jpg

Yeah, looks like a crack near the spine and very rough grain. Probably overheated at some point, or held in the heat too long.

Very cool man. :thumbsup:

What's the quickest/easiest way to put a mirror polish on a bk-9? Has anyone here tackled that task? I always see these grey stripped blades which are cool, but a shiny one would be a nice touch. Also, I use my choppers hard, will that hard use jack up the finish?

Back