Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

aargh.
finally got around to grinding out a scrap of "alabama damascus" I picked up at SMKW a few years back - and it delaminated at the plunge line. :(
this is the second piece from that particular shopping trip that it's happened to.
trying a vinegar etch - if that doesn't work, I'll give phosphoric a try -- or I'll go into town tomorrow and pick up some boric acid.

Roasted some maple last night, and got the final shaping done. All ready for heat treating.

IMG-20190504-121830.jpg

IMG-20190504-212617.jpg

IMG-20190504-212741.jpg

best use of a bud vase by a beckerhead ev-ahr!
household white vinegar as an etchant -- forgot to let it dry first, accidentally wiped off all the patina. :(
second soak has started - but here's what it looked like before...
59462696_10157177763884603_6611842817771700224_n.jpg

Heat treat went great a week or so ago, and just got the time to do more work on it. Still needs some more polishing and sharpening, but it's nearly finished.

My Canadian Tribute HBC camp knife. Roasted maple scales with moose antler bolsters. I've some beaver tails to integrate into the sheath as well.

IMG-20190516-131622.jpg

Heat treat went great a week or so ago, and just got the time to do more work on it. Still needs some more polishing and sharpening, but it's nearly finished.

My Canadian Tribute HBC camp knife. Roasted maple scales with moose antler bolsters. I've some beaver tails to integrate into the sheath as well.

IMG-20190516-131622.jpg
Nice!

IMG-20190516-131622.jpg
Looks like it will be super comfortable in the hand, Very nice!

Damn.... I think That's a pretty knife!
Is it beefy feeling, looks very proportional....
Funny how you nailed it so early in your career, when there are Sooooo many lousy looking knives out there.
Again, Great job! I'm jealous.....

Maybe take a pic holding?

Not sure what that pear shape is called?
....but I like it!

Not so great pics, but this should give a better idea of scale, and how the hilt fits the hand.

20190518-215603.jpg

20190518-215552.jpg
And thanks! It definitely has heft, but is still pretty lively. POB is about an inch from the bolster. Very versatile.
And thanks! It definitely has heft, but is still pretty lively. POB is about an inch from the bolster. Very versatile.

I think it looks like a 70's Biker gang knife.
Makes me wanna stab someone..... Lol

*Joking/sorta

Did some blade testing today! It chops, it slices, it scrapes, it carves, it batons, it pries. Throws massive gobs from the fero rod.

I put it through the paces of green hard and softwood, as well as dead standing and seasoned hardwood firewood. Still shaving sharp.

20190519-172424.jpg

Back