Beckers seem to be drying up...

Guyon

Biscuit Whisperer
Super Mod
Because of the worsening situation at Camillus, I decided to spring for a couple of knives I had on my "one of these days" list. One was the standard Marine Combat. The other was a BK-1 Brute. Lots of Combats available. Not so with the Brute though.

Was trying to keep the BK-1 price below $80. Several vendors have them listed in the $75 to $80 range, but each one I contacted was sold out. A number of other vendors, who had them listed between $80 and $90, were also sold out. Probably went through about 15 to 20 vendors until I found an "in stock" BK-1 below $90.

Finally found it at, of all places, a woodworking tool distributor not too far from me. They had two left for $89. Not being a knife vendor, they've probably had these things in stock for years. I picked up one of them.

I'm sure there are plenty of Beckers out there in the pipeline somewhere, but from my experience with the Brute, finding them at reasonable prices with online vendors is getting more difficult.

Anyone else had this kind of experience?

Edited to add: The "drying up" seemed most true of the BK-1 and the BK-9. Some of the lower priced BK-7's were sold out, but the other knives still looked pretty available. I may pick up a Crewman and/or a Companion as well while they're still readily available. I already own a BK-7 and a BK-9.

I hope Camillus gets things worked out such that this thread is a moot point.

a month ago when I started buying the 5 basic knives there where 70-80 listings on Ebay. Lots of BK2, BK10 and BK7's afew BK9's and 1 place had 2 BK1's listed.

I am still waiting on the BK1 and don't think it is gonna be shipped anytime soon if at all, seller over sold and was waiting on additional inventory.

Checked this morning on Ebay and there are only 13 listed items and none are a fixed price like before.

Karsten

Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and get both the BK-2 and BK-10 so I'll have all five.

My search mostly consisted of looking at the usual suspects' internet sites. Some listed inventory online. With the others, however, I always called. Until the last one, they all listed the knife but were really out of stock. I don't think a "backorder" will do much for you right now.

Karsten, if you'll email me at guyon5@yahoo.com I'll let you know where a BK-1 is still available for $89 plus shipping. The place I ordered from had one left. Also, there is one on Bladebay right now. You might have some luck breaking the $80 barrier there (maybe even the $70 barrier if the price holds). I just didn't want to wait.

"Additional inventory" might mean knives put together by a manager or by unskilled hands. I think I'd rather have old stock right now.

I have a BK2, 10, 7, three 9s and also looking for a brute. Yep, getting hard to find. I am wondering if someone else will pick up the contract to make them.

To add, if Camillus goes under, and word gets out, things will be a lot harder to find, and prices will go up. I am buying as I can, just to get what I want.

To add, if Camillus goes under, and word gets out, things will be a lot harder to find, and prices will go up. I am buying as I can, just to get what I want.

Snagged the other two tonight. That gives me the 1, 2, 7, 9 and 10 to play with. After seeing the threads on the Ranger scales and different mods, I'd really like to mess around with the shorter knives (2 and 10) and see what I can do.

I absolutely love my BK-9 and am hoping the BK-1 will be an even better chopper.

Guyon,

Below are my BK2, BK10 in the works, BK7 in need of Micarta grips and BK9 I think getting close to finished.

Surprising what a cheap 1x30 belt sander and some time can do.

mvc019stg5.jpg

Karsten

You know, I've never taken the scales off my BK-7 or BK-9.

Are they solid like your Companion, or do they have two cut-aways like the Crewman?

Handle portion of the BK7 and 9 had the open spots like the Crewman. Same grips for all of them as far as the factory plastic goes.

I hadn't noticed but the slight recurve to the blade on the BK9 and the BK2 does show up a little bit.

Karsten

I would like to take a BK9 and mill it down thinner like the BK5, with a full flat grind, and reshape the tip like the BK2, so as to be a slicer for camp work.
Maybe someday I will learn how. Or maybe take it to a machine shop.

Not too worry. Soon, Camillus and it's licenses would be sold, and we'll be able to get 'Made in China' Beckers made of thinner stock 420 steel. Gawd, I hope not!

My Beckers are some of my most favorite users in my collection. I hope if Camillus does go completely under, Mr. Becker can license his pieces to another reputable maker and keep the brand alive.

Not too worry. Soon, Camillus and it's licenses would be sold, and we'll be able to get 'Made in China' Beckers made of thinner stock 420 steel.

That seems very likely. The best-case scenarion would be for Ontario to buy the Becker brand. But would that too-closely duplicate their own product lineup? It would also be a good purchase for Case, who has never been very successful with using their own brand to sell modern fixed blades or tacticals.

-Bob

Got the BK-1 Brute yesterday. Great chopper! May order the 2 and the 10 next week.

I think that the BK-9 is still my favorite Becker though.

I ran across another guy on Ebay that had 2 BK1's last night for $80.00 but he is off at trade shows so who knows if they are in stock. I emailed him but no reply.

That listed expired and this morning he relisted 3 BK1's for $90.00 and later this afternoon up'ed the price tp $123.99....Those kinda games I will just wait.

Just got lucky and nailed a BK1 on Ebay for $89.00 so now I have the set.

Filed a claim to get my money back from Cherokee Outpost and they don't even bother to respond to Paypal Dispute email.

Karsten

Hansen, I think that was the one I was bidding on. My problem is, almost all auctions end while I am at work, so I can't get back into the game.
I'm not sure I would have gone that high, and I am glad it was someone here that got it....... and the hunt goes on.........

Has anyone tried www.1sks.com They have a lot of beckers listed including the 1 and 10

When I was looking, 1sks was about $20 higher than the price I paid for the BK-1. However, that was my next choice if I hadn't found it cheaper.

Now, it looks as if 1sks has them on sale for $93.99. I'd go for it at that price.

I've been following this thread and it motivated me to finally get the BK2. I got one on Ebay last night for $58 shipped. Now I'm worried about locating a Necker and may try 1sks later this week.

Karsten, thanks for the pic of the stripped BK2. What grit did you use on the sander?

Hansen, I think that was the one I was bidding on. My problem is, almost all auctions end while I am at work, so I can't get back into the game.
I'm not sure I would have gone that high, and I am glad it was someone here that got it....... and the hunt goes on.........

Sorry about that, I was gonna buy the one from Holstersplus until he raised his price to $123.99 yesterday afternoon.

TAD Gear has them listed but I would call 1st and then the link above to 1sks.com.

Falconstien,

I used 80 grit on the 5 inch disc and 1x30 belt sander for the rough work. Then 120, 180, 320 and just took my time then polished with mineral oil and 400, 320 to 600 W/D paper.

I think I am going to have to have the both the BK2 and 10 bead blasted as the flats of the blades have some really deep grind marks and the Black Epoxy is embedded and looks bad.

Karsten

Back