Belt knife with no belt?

Dr Rez

Pisser of the Couch
How do you carry your "belt knife sized" knives when you don't have a belt on? Im not talking a Mora or BK11 sized knife but one of at least 4-5 inches with a full grip handle. Typically since I live in a hot moist climate I do not have pants or shorts on with belt loops. The only solution i have used so far is a Spyderco G-Clip on the kydex sheath for my BK16, however the GClip never seems to line up at the correct angle on most kydex sheaths.

Any other thoughts on what you guys do to carry your larger knife on your person when out camping or in the woods/fishing/etc?

Edit: The only thread I found with any info was pretty old: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wearing-a-sheath-without-a-belt.946969/page-2

A bladric, perhaps, with the hilt behind your shoulder?
Pants and/or shorts with belt loops and a belt?
Suspenders with a sheath put on?
A custom sheath that would let you wear it around your neck?
Leave the fixed blade home and put a folding knife in your pocket?
Carry the fixed blade in a backpack?
Put the sheath on your fannypack belt?
Depending on what boots you wear, a sheath sewn into or onto the strong side boot?

No, I am not trying to be a smart@ss with my suggestions.

Last edited:
How do you carry your "belt knife sized" knives when you don't have a belt on? Im not talking a Mora or BK11 sized knife but one of at least 4-5 inches with a full grip handle. Typically since I live in a hot moist climate I do not have pants or shorts on with belt loops. The only solution i have used so far is a Spyderco G-Clip on the kydex sheath for my BK16, however the GClip never seems to line up at the correct angle on most kydex sheaths.

Any other thoughts on what you guys do to carry your larger knife on your person when out camping or in the woods/fishing/etc?

And now I would like to say a few words : Hello . . . I must be going.

Oh I just have my knife valet carry my larger fixed etc.
For instance I was caught recently coming into town in this footage; you can see the valet dudes right behind.
Perhaps something like this would work for you.

Or . . . for those light days . . . :

A boot knife / sheath with a clip could work if you have tough skin. The clip can kind of dig in when clipped to the top of your shorts. Or you could wear it in waste band with the clip out (the sheath is quite smooth and is designed to be worn inside a boot). I like it because I can clip it and unclip it to a regular trowser belt with out unbuckling my belt.
This photo just is here to show the clip; I put that shorter knife in this sheath. The sheath came with the Peace Maker knife shown in the next photo.
IMG_3916.jpg
IMG_3911.jpg

Wear a “knife belt”. A duty belt in this case; this is a light one that costs about ten dollars and is really nice quality (I have two; one at home and one at work). Mostly I put pouches on them.
IMG_3581.jpg

I wear these two tiny fixed blade knives on this light webbing belt so it comes off quick when I am done using the knives. One knife is toothy and one is extra sharp and polished edge.
IMG_3580.jpg

Folding pocket sword any one ? The Cold Steel Holdout I . . . for instance has a six inch blade and longer handle and fits all the way into these work shorts pocket (see last photo showing end of handle in my pocket); really the pocket clip isn’t needed and I can carry it all day on my feet at work and it doesn’t bug me in the least. I love this knife in use.
IMG_4451.jpg
IMG_3454.jpg

Is a belt knife still considered a belt knife if you don't carry it on a belt?

I've got pocket fixed blades that offer a full grip, there are neck knives that do the same. Not sure why you ruled out Mora knives, they come with 4 inch blades, a full grip and you could clip them on a waste band.

If you just want something fancier than a mora check out DuckChildress in the custom makers section of the exchange, he makes some great looking knives that come with a belt clip on the sheath and his stuff is very reasonably priced.

I've got two of Ben Tendick's Universal Blade Rigs! PAID: Single Knife: $85.00; Double Knife: $95.00 and I believe those prices incl shipping

Videos: 1, 2, ...

Ben Tendick
798 Nadine Ave
Eugene, OR 97404
United States

Phone: 541-912-1280
bentendick@gmail.com

Edit: The only thread I found with any info was pretty old: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wearing-a-sheath-without-a-belt.946969/page-2

MercHarness

f712020698789eae607abb92e2f41412.jpg

The G clip from Spyderco only really needs to line up with one hole on the sheath. If you tighten down the attatchment screw tight enough the sheath angle won’t change. Just use the rubber washer that comes with the GClip’s included chicago screws so there is friction being exerted on the sheath.

My current favorite waders don't have belt loops so I have to improvise. I keep a fixed blade clipped to my backpack on the bottom of the strap with a carabiner. It ends up being almost exactly where it would be if it were on a belt. It's not the most attractive solution but it is very practical and works for me.

If you don't have a belt, but do have pockets in your shorts, you can have a leather pocket sheath made. Clip height can be set for pocket depth. The clip can also be hung on the waist band.
2018-04-26 19.55.36.jpg 2018-04-26 19.55.16.jpg 2018-04-26 19.55.02.jpg

If you want to talk design, shoot me a message.

I always thought something with a clip similar to a gun holster would be nice, since I don't wear a belt on my work pants and could clip a fixed blade to the outside of my pocket instead.

Beltless Sheath. Can be used without a belt or over top of one like here. Snaps around the belt loops.

Qc6Zr5s.jpg

0WACIoc.jpg

HyHjqrd.jpg

ShBdtUP.jpg

rfzI56N.jpg
now that is a great idea. well done Sir, but....the op said he wears shorts without belt loops.

I think the best solution is get a lighter carry folder. I mean, I'm assuming by pants/shorts without belt loops, you mean light weight clothing that's spandex equipped that wouldn't support the weight of a 4-5in fixed blade in the first place. Others have said neck knife which would work. Boot knife doesn't work with shorts. I guess you could also carry a bag. You could always do the harness thing but wearing sweats, joggers, or spandex shorts and a tshirt, a harness like that would just look ridiculous

Last edited:
Back