Benchmade Griptilian - Different Scales

Is the Benchmade Griptilian 551 only available with plastic scales? Are there any versions with something like G10, Micarta, or another material?

Thanks.

There are custom scales available. Kevin Wilkins, Cuscadi, Tuffthumbz all come to mind. I made my own, but it's not exactly easy. A milling machine would sure help.

As mentioned, Kevin Wilkins makes a VERY nice upgrade handle, but it is not cheap. He told me that the locking system and blade of the Griptilian are first rate, but the handle is pretty sorry ass compared to the rest of the package . That is where they saved money so that it could be sold at a reasonable price point.

To put into perspective, Wilkins or Cuscadi handle scales will cost probably double what you paid for the griptillian. But if you have a Ritter Grip with those scales, you've got a pretty much perfect knife.

i've seen pictures of a couple of them made by philip dobson, but his website shows he's not making them, so i don't know if he stopped, or hasn't updated the website. it seems his prices are decent compared to a lot of the others at two to three times the price of the knife.

Last edited:
the Wlikins grips transformed mine into a pair of blades it'd be tough to part with. someone would be hard pressed to find something id be willing to trade them for, i like them that much.

When I was looking into the scales, I contacted him and he said he wasn't doing them any more. Unfortunately. Might as well check, see if we can get him back into it.

From what I saw of Kevin's grips, you are definitely getting a better handle than even the higher prices Benchmades have. But you are right. The grip for the Mini is 90 Euros for non-EU buyers. It's 108 over there.
To put into perspective, Wilkins or Cuscadi handle scales will cost probably double what you paid for the griptillian. But if you have a Ritter Grip with those scales, you've got a pretty much perfect knife.

Why not just get the Gold Class version? Carbon fiber and an M4 blade - very sweet!

Oh, nice work there Keyman.
Esp the brown canvas micarta looks amazing!

If you're willing to take on a little more blade length and weight, maybe skip the Grip and pick up a 710... very nice knife and can be found NIB for under $150. Just a thought...

Benchmade's Bone Collector series could certainly be considered an upgrade on the Griptilians. They come with D2 steel and G10 scales. They are both heavier and more expensive than the regular Griptilians but something you may want to check out.

There's a new set of Wilkins scales coming out soon. They will have inlays made of Acetate and enable the user to look into the inside of the knife.

What happened to the Keyman post and related posts in this thread? They disappeared on my computer.

What happened to the Keyman post and related posts in this thread? They disappeared on my computer.

i imagine struck down for advertising since i don't believe he was a vendor. your post as well as mine will probably be taken down too, since that's what i would do on the forum i moderate on.

They disappeared for a good reason. Members must have the proper level of membership in order to sell or solicit orders and business via this website.

If you are not familiar with the rules for this site (as you should be), they are linked below my signature.

I have 2 Ritter Grips with Cuscadi and Wilkins scales on them. The Grip, to me, is one of the best knives out there for ergonomics, strength, lock and value... until you put custom scales on them and then value is out the window...

Both were much easier to aquire than I figured they would be. Quick responses to emails and failry quick delivery. The Wilkins come quicker because he only sells what is avail in his stock. The Cuscadis are all special order but that means you have a much wider variety to choose from. I'd order from them again in a heartbeat. They are pricey and you also have to consider frieght because they are overseas.

I think a Ritter Grip with custom scales moves this model from working mans knife to superknive. I've had some robust blades and I would easily put the Large Grip with the Wilkins scales up against any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back