Benchmade Griptilian - Different Scales

rpn,

I went back and had them add the clip to my order. Really look forward to getting them.

Me too! Hopefully soon! Been giving my mailcarrier the hairy eyeball the last few days. ;) :)

I have grips for the large Griptilian in stock no, more grips for the minis will be coming soon.
The special Steampunk Edition of large grips are almost done. I've been waiting 3 weeks for plating company to get the brass frames blackened.

so here's a question for the Grip fans - the Ritter blades are .100 inches thick and the Benchmade Grip blades, as far as I can tell are all .115 - a (small, sure) difference of .015".

so when you put a Ritter blade in Kevin's excellent scales, it's a tiny fraction too small and isn't as smooth as it could be, or at least that's my experience. does anyone know (or better yet have a source for phosphor bronze washers) how large the washers are that come with standard Grips, and Ritter knives? i'm asking because a slightly thicker washer on one or both sides of the blade in a Wilkins/Ritter grip would be bang on and make up for the missing .015".

i don't have calipers to check mine with, any help would be appreciated.

and Kevin, I refresh your page about 10 times every day waiting on the new steampunk grips. ;)

I have grips for the large Griptilian in stock no, more grips for the minis will be coming soon.
The special Steampunk Edition of large grips are almost done. I've been waiting 3 weeks for plating company to get the brass frames blackened.

Make some in Orange Kevin, Please

Beautiful -- whose work?

Thank you flash900, it's my work. :)
I made them for my M4 mini out of this new material. I think actually they came out pretty good.
I've got a 2 more new patterns/designs in this material that I have yet to try. :D

so here's a question for the Grip fans - the Ritter blades are .100 inches thick and the Benchmade Grip blades, as far as I can tell are all .115 - a (small, sure) difference of .015".

so when you put a Ritter blade in Kevin's excellent scales, it's a tiny fraction too small and isn't as smooth as it could be, or at least that's my experience. does anyone know (or better yet have a source for phosphor bronze washers) how large the washers are that come with standard Grips, and Ritter knives? i'm asking because a slightly thicker washer on one or both sides of the blade in a Wilkins/Ritter grip would be bang on and make up for the missing .015".

and Kevin, I refresh your page about 10 times every day waiting on the new steampunk grips. ;)

I have found no difference in thickness. My Ritters work absolutely perfect in WilkinsGrips.

I have found no difference in thickness. My Ritters work absolutely perfect in WilkinsGrips.

please note that in no way, shape or form am i impugning Kevin's stellar grips. there is, however, a difference in blade thickness.

check this link: http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterorangeminirskmk1stonewasheds30vblade.aspx

now have a lok at this one: http://www.benchmade.com/products/551

notice the difference? .100 to .115".

also, pics (cropped) and a link to full size.

uDsxH.jpg

and the linked full sized pic (sorry about crummy iPhone pics)

full size

there is a difference. i find that cranking down on the Ritter blades (I've got three in Kevin's grips) a bit more closes the gap -and- the knife's not as smooth opening as a stock Benchmade Grip blade in Kevin's grips. NOT going that extra bit results in blade play.

maybe it's just this coated M4 Ritter blade I'm running? other, newer S30V blades -appear- to be .115.

so, anyone know the right size for some washers to shim the gap? if i had calipers with me i'd be able to show the thickness difference and measure myself.

Last edited:

Kevin,

Will you be making the large Griptilian grips in black or ranger green again?

please note that in no way, shape or form am i impugning Kevin's stellar grips. there is, however, a difference in blade thickness.

check this link: http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterorangeminirskmk1stonewasheds30vblade.aspx

now have a lok at this one: http://www.benchmade.com/products/551

notice the difference? .100 to .115".

also, pics (cropped) and a link to full size.

uDsxH.jpg

and the linked full sized pic (sorry about crummy iPhone pics)

full size

there is a difference. i find that cranking down on the Ritter blades (I've got three in Kevin's grips) a bit more closes the gap -and- the knife's not as smooth opening as a stock Benchmade Grip blade in Kevin's grips. NOT going that extra bit results in blade play.

maybe it's just this coated M4 Ritter blade I'm running? other, newer S30V blades -appear- to be .115.

so, anyone know the right size for some washers to shim the gap? if i had calipers with me i'd be able to show the thickness difference and measure myself.

I have calipers; but no mini-griptilians. :(
I do have 2 mini Ritters though. 1 in M4 and 1 in M2. Both mic out at .100
I also have a G10 (black/blue) and a Ti set of the mini-WilkinsGrips. But, I don't have any of these issues with mine. But, both of my WilkinsGrips are older models (years old)?

You know, now that I really think about this :rolleyes:......you really shouldn't be having any issues with the blade thickness and/or washer size. Because when you change the scales; that's all your changing. The blade, the washers and the frame all remain the same. The spacing on the frame shouldn't change unless the backspacer is too thick or thin. I am puzzled?:confused:
I'm sorry, I wish I could be more help. I think I'm missing something?
If you find out what the issue is; I would like to know.
s30v washers with the M4 blade? :confused:

First, thanks for your support!

My grips have no effect at all on the operation of the knife. If it was working OK before you took it apart, it will work just the same if the new grips are installed correctly. The blade, locking mechanism, washers and all are in no way affected by the new grips.

Do NOT change out the washers on your knife.

All the mini Griptilian blades are 0.100" thick, if you have a knife with another blade thickness, contact Benchmade. There is no way they are selling the same knife with 0.015" differences in thickness.

You need a micrometer to measure the blades.

I've sold a lot of my mini grips and the very few times there were problems, it was always due to incorrect assembly. I have seen a few Benchmade knives with problems, but these were usually warped blades and Benchmade will replace these right away.

As long as I'm correcting things: I have never said Benchmade's grips are "sorry ass" as was indicated in a post at the top of this thread. And the fact is, I don't think they are. In fact, I think the Griptilian grips are excellent. The design and production of the tooling alone needed to make the Benchmade grips costs as much as a house. That's why I can't offer anything injection moulded. I don't have the scratch. Benchmade has brought out an excellent product with the Griptilian Series and the use of injection moulded grips allows for a low consumer price with a high quality, US made product. If others wish to criticize Benchmade's stuff, that's their thing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I think my grips take the Griptilian product to another level – but they also take it to another price level. If Benchmade were to mass produce my grips they would be cheaper than I can make them for, but still substantially more expensive than the injection moulded ones. It's simply about consumer choice. I admire Benchmade and own a good many of their knives myself.

Folks with specifc questions for me, should direct them to me via email.

I don't have specific production plans right now. Watch my website: When I do have product, that's where it will be for sale.

Kevin,

Thanks for the helpful information and for making such terrific products. I hope you are able to resolve your moving issues soon and can return to your craft.

I would love to, but who sells them? I haven't seen them at any dealers.

Re: Gold class - Sorry, didn't realize they had sold out. By searching Bing I did find a "classified ad" for one, the asking price was $365

I can't believe that after all this time BM hasn't offered the Grips in g10. I'd pay the extra premium.

I have calipers; but no mini-griptilians. :(
I do have 2 mini Ritters though. 1 in M4 and 1 in M2. Both mic out at .100
I also have a G10 (black/blue) and a Ti set of the mini-WilkinsGrips. But, I don't have any of these issues with mine. But, both of my WilkinsGrips are older models (years old)?

You know, now that I really think about this :rolleyes:......you really shouldn't be having any issues with the blade thickness and/or washer size. Because when you change the scales; that's all your changing. The blade, the washers and the frame all remain the same. The spacing on the frame shouldn't change unless the backspacer is too thick or thin. I am puzzled?:confused:
I'm sorry, I wish I could be more help. I think I'm missing something?
If you find out what the issue is; I would like to know.
s30v washers with the M4 blade? :confused:

okay, first things first - in NO way am I blaming anything on Kevin's products. I realized that I've already made a mistake in spec'ing the blade thickness - the Mini's are .100 and the regular Grip's from Benchmade are .115".

i've got two sets of Ti Grips from Kevin and have zero issues with them. they're perfect and work great.

i do have a combo that i bought from another member that I didn't put together. The CPM-M4 blade this knife came with APPEARS to be thinner. I can see how this would be problematic -if- that blade is .100" running in a frame designed for a blade that's .115". Kevin's grips are really REALLY well made, and if there's a fault, it's not with them.

let me be clear, i don't blame my perceived issue on Kevin!

i'm in Afghanistan and don't have a micrometer, but am gonna take the knife down to the motorpool and/or the armorer and see if they've got a set they'll let me use and report back. i'm also going to blow the knife apart and see if there are issues with how it's put together.

i'm using Mk I eyeballs for this, and call me nuts, but that full size black M4 blade that came out of a Ritter Grip LOOKS to be skinny compared to a stock running in the orange Grips as posted previously.

a micrometer will tell for sure.

First, thanks for your support!

you are welcome, and i am a HUGE fan of your work -and- your outstanding customer service. you've bent over backwards for me before and i appreciate the response to this thread.

My grips have no effect at all on the operation of the knife. If it was working OK before you took it apart, it will work just the same if the new grips are installed correctly. The blade, locking mechanism, washers and all are in no way affected by the new grips.

that's the thing, i didn't put this one together, but rest assured it'll get blown apart and reassembled!!!!

Do NOT change out the washers on your knife.

check.

All the mini Griptilian blades are 0.100" thick, if you have a knife with another blade thickness, contact Benchmade. There is no way they are selling the same knife with 0.015" differences in thickness.

i created confusion by not specifying what i was looking at. i'm looking at two large Grip blades, one is a standard Benchmade 154CM, one is a Ritter in DLC'ed CPM-M4. they APPEAR to be of different thicknesses. precision tools will tell, will try to find some

You need a micrometer to measure the blades.

check.

I've sold a lot of my mini grips and the very few times there were problems, it was always due to incorrect assembly. I have seen a few Benchmade knives with problems, but these were usually warped blades and Benchmade will replace these right away.

check, that's why i'll take this one down and reassemble.

As long as I'm correcting things: I have never said Benchmade's grips are "sorry ass" as was indicated in a post at the top of this thread. And the fact is, I don't think they are. In fact, I think the Griptilian grips are excellent. The design and production of the tooling alone needed to make the Benchmade grips costs as much as a house. That's why I can't offer anything injection moulded. I don't have the scratch. Benchmade has brought out an excellent product with the Griptilian Series and the use of injection moulded grips allows for a low consumer price with a high quality, US made product. If others wish to criticize Benchmade's stuff, that's their thing. Please don't put words in my mouth.

i know this wasn't directed at me, so let me again reiterate - i've no issues with Benchmade, Ritter, or your product, sir. ;)

sorry if i created alarm or confusion, i'll be sure to follow up with measurements and report on those AND how a reassembly goes.

thanks, guys.

so I went to the motorpool. No dice. Then the armorer. None there. Walked a mile to the other side of the FOB and talked to the MRAP maintenance guys. NO ONE HAS A MICROMETER.

SCHEIßE

Some dude that looks like Gandalf in horn rimmed glasses had digital calipers, but I couldn't get a consistent reading and since I started all this I want to be accurate. Also, I've no way of knowing if his rather cheaply made calipers (which I -know- aren't what I need) are accurate at all.

SO, I've ordered a Starrett micrometer that will give me 0.0001" graduation with +/-0.00005" accuracy that cost me more than the WilkinsGrips and a new Griptilian combined, as well as a new S30V Ritter Grip to get to the bottom of this.

Also, I blew the knife apart - and either I'm getting better at putting these together or the large ones are easier than the small ones, 'cause I got it apart, cleaned, and back together in what I thought was record time. Anyhow, after a bit of lube, it feels smoother, but I'm still looking at that Ritter CPM M4 blade and it LOOKS SKINNY, DAMNIT!

In taking it apart and paying attention to the way they're engineered, I see the point that others have made - a.) there's no way for Kevin's grips to be at fault, and b.) I have no way of telling if all the parts came from the same original Benchmade Ritter. I suspect they may not have or I got a blade that's off spec.

I kinda like the mystery. :D And it gives me something to look forward to, this two week wait for the arrival of precision measuring tools (yet ANOTHER thing to lug around theater) all the while pressing F5 over and over and over again waiting for Kevin's supplier to get him frames so I can buy my 6th or 7th set of Wilkins Grips.

I would be willing to bet that the black blade looking skinnier is just an optical illusion. Black is slimming. Black clothes make you look slimmer than light colors. Black shoes make your feet look smaller than light colored shoes. And I'd bet a black blade looks skinnier than an identical satin or stonewashed blade.

Keeping on topic here I just ordered a set of scales for my Ritter mini from Luke at cuscadi. I went with contoured carbon fiber micarta with a blue glow in the dark "reptilian" back spacer. Should be pretty slick.

Back