1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Lorien, Jul 21, 2016.

1. cpirtle

cpirtle Leathercrafter Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2001
    I'm a huge fan of LV and glad to see it getting some love here. The real stuff is amazing but I like the "almost as good" quite a bit as well.

Couple of other tidbits..

It is bug-proof and rot proof. They have actually found posts from houses made from LV buried in the ground that pre-date the birth of Christ.

It is also reactive to UV light and the lighter toned wood will turn wonderful hues of green when exposed to sunlight.

I have a block in my shop that's about 4'x8"x5" IIRC that I bought 15+ years ago to make a rifle stock from. I didn't use it for that purpose but have been pulling small pieces off for knife scales and pistol grips over the years. I'll be in my shop tomorrow and will try to post some pictures with a few on topic knifes on it :)

2. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Wow! That’s amazing! This LV is really interesting wood. Look forward to seeing your pics. Thanks for the tip Chad. I think my LV is going to get a little sunlight! :thumbsup:;)

Fullflat, Odog27, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  3. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    LV is, indeed, a very special wood. There are so many stories, such as those mentioned above by cpirtle.

Phill50, Fullflat, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  4. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2011
    ... and bowling balls.

5. AnotherDogDown17

AnotherDogDown17 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Béma, PolRoger, prom52 and 17 others like this.
  6. E40

E40 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Half Face Blades. Serious tools. I had this one made as a retirement gift to myself. I have a couple others including one of his mini-tomahawks.

IMG_0496.JPG

7. mpjustin

mpjustin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Shirogorov F95R
    [​IMG]
    F95R, HaTi R, HaTion Lite
    [​IMG]

David45, fonedork, prom52 and 8 others like this.
  8. cpirtle

cpirtle Leathercrafter Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 28, 2001
    Sorry for the delayed pictures with the LV.. my block is a little smaller than first reported but it's been buried for a while. The bigger one i have is an amazing piece of white ebony that's begging for a project :)

This piece shows a lot of the variation LV can have, everything from the darker browns to the greens to the creams. The side grain is spectacular.

The knife shown is a Michael Moing Higonokami and the hawk is a DLC Coated MT-1 from Red Rock Rifleworks, both soon to be fitted with proper leather.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

vkp78, untytled, Odog27 and 8 others like this.
  9. gusbuster

gusbuster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2011
    That’s some nice LV Chad, and the knife and hawk aren’t too shabby either! :thumbsup::D

10. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Some time in the past year, one of the regulars here graciously gifted me an ESEE4 with micarta slabs (which might be the most accurate description of the stock handle) and black coated blade. It was a gift because he knew I always wanted one as a project knife. I tried to do this one justice.

Over the past year I collected up the materials. Knowing I was going to put a dark patina (red wine vinegar and mustard) I wanted a lighter handle. These scales are spalted eucalyptus and have some great rays that flash pretty well. Blue liners because black seemed too severe. Mosaic pins because, well, look at 'em.

After stripping and fitting the handles the blade got tumbled for an hour in a large stonewash/tumbler at my work. Then the patina.

20190414_104258~01.jpg 20190414_104206~01.jpg 20190414_104245~01.jpg 20190414_104324~01.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Siddhant, donscpoo, mpjustin and 21 others like this.
  11. AnotherDogDown17

AnotherDogDown17 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2015
    I prefer the thinner stock on the BG BB13. The CG stays at home more often than not...
    [​IMG]

Siddhant, donscpoo, Mike157 and 9 others like this.
  12. TommyGun56

TommyGun56 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Spartan "Horkos", and "Ronin Shinto" Both in a handle material soon to be offered by CPK "Double Black Canvas" :thumbsup::eek::cool:
    EDIT: My Source tells me the Double Black is actually easier to Machine than the Regular Black Canvas. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Siddhant, donscpoo, DJC72 and 14 others like this.
  13. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    ^^^One or the other of those would look amazing with some cocobolo or rosewood that has some tan streaks in it.

Pretty damn cool in their own right though. Not knocking them. Just imagining...

duramax, gusbuster, woodysone and 5 others like this.
  14. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Spartan Harsey Difensa

[​IMG]

Siddhant, donscpoo, duramax and 12 others like this.
  15. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    that's a big damn knife!

16. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Yet surprisingly nimble! :D

Mike157, Fullflat and Odog27 like this.
  17. Phill50

Phill50 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Eugene blade show score.

upload_2019-4-17_13-1-53.jpeg

18. Fullflat

Fullflat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2018
    Nitro-V, CF, & white linen micarta
    Made for me by Justin at Running Man Forge. Been using it for about a year, and I really dig it. Touching up the edge occasionally is the only maintenance it’s ever had, and it still looks almost new after all that mileage.
    F582C4F6-9317-49FE-91F6-9E480A9D0FD0.jpeg

19. Siddhant

Siddhant Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2018
    IMG_3590.JPG

Edit: Bryan Baker / NZ along with the BC

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    gusbuster, woodysone, Mike157 and 6 others like this.
  20. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    gusbuster, woodysone, Mike157 and 3 others like this.