Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

I can't get into the head of Bob Lum, obviously, but Japanese blades, in my mind, have in earlier years been designed and produced for both artistic/aesthetic and user value, not one or the other. And I put Bob Lum's knives in the same space and place.

Now Justin, I simply cannot believe you don't recognize the handle material. It's popcorn stag! How did you miss that one??

Thanks Bob!

I didn't miss the handle but thought I would start to separate my long-winded posts into something more one topic and to the point as best as I can. I figure more people will read through my posts that way!

As to the handle, I'm not a huge fan of the popcorn stag as I have a hard time with something so subjective in definition but I do appreciate the bark on it. Speaking of which I've always liked the Big tac folder by Don Hanson III with the really dark popcorn stag and scary Damascus. Though I find that combination really speaks to me, quite rarely stag on its own is something I love.

Justin, I am really no fan of any stag - only under very specific circumstances, which I would be hard put to describe. The Hanson folder is one example. Stag has never called out to me. But on this particular knife, and recognizing that the Deluxe Tantos of Bob Lum were more often wood than stag - and that the best were stag (IMHO), this knife drew me in immediately.

Justin, I am really no fan of any stag - only under very specific circumstances, which I would be hard put to describe. The Hanson folder is one example. Stag has never called out to me. But on this particular knife, and recognizing that the Deluxe Tantos of Bob Lum were more often wood than stag - and that the best were stag (IMHO), this knife drew me in immediately.

I think we are on the same wavelength there Bob.

Considering the combination, the maker and the aesthetic... In a way this knife is very "you".

I'm glad you were able to acquire it and I hope you enjoy it in good health for years to come!

One of my other favorites for brush clearing. 3v and just under 5/32" makes it a pretty capable and nimble tool.

5XtoXVE.jpg

Lum's designs scream utility to me, I wouldn't call any of what I've seen him make 'art knives'- not to diminish their artistic value. It's more of an intent thing. He was pretty pragmatic, made a ton of hunters and fillet knives, in addition to 'personal defense' pieces.
I'm a huge fan![UOTE]

Lorien, I think you mean the intent in the design and production not being art-related. I think I chose a poor choice of words to convey my thought because I myself cannot imagine there was any such intent. Coupling the words artistic with aesthetic got off the path. I do think we would agree (?) that the aesthetics (which are artistically driven but derive from the maker' soul rather than intent) and user-driven design are found in earlier Japanese and Bob Lum blades
. I have never seen Lums as art knives either, but most of his later blades do carry an certain aesthetic appeal that is associated with Japanese artistic spirit. Hope I am conveying this thought a bit more accurately.

I'd put Lum in the same general school as Loveless, Herron etc. Back in those days, it seems to me that 'art knives' were kind of the domain of the smiths, while 'practical knives' were the domain of the grinders. If there ever was a line separating the two, it's definitely been blurred since then

Wouldn't that be illegal to carry here in Cali Bob? I had thought that anything with two sharpened edges and daggerish were barred from carrying in our wonderful Republic of CA.

Wouldn't that be illegal to carry here in Cali Bob? I had thought that anything with two sharpened edges and daggerish were barred from carrying in our wonderful Republic of CA.

The double edged blade is no longer illegal to possess or carry in California, hasn't been for a number of years since the code redefined "dagger". Concealed carry of any fixed blade knife is, however, a felony. Yet you can carry concealed any folder whatsoever as long as it has a detente. Might as well add there is no size limit on fixed blades, unless created by county or city legislation.

Some cities and counties have additional laws making carry more restrictive, so check the local ordinances.

Last edited:
Fortunately it's legal here in FL with my CC permit. It will make a nice back up to my CPK EDC. As a last ditch self defense, after my Glock 19. :thumbsup:;)

Last edited:
I've been carrying these two for awhile as last ditch self defense knives.

Ban Tang DE Recurve Mini Bowie in S35VN flat grind with convex edge

nnLbvZl.jpg

Ban Tang DE Recurve Pikal in Ti with chisel grind and high polished zero convex carbidized edge.

pj5DIzP.jpg

a8sksO3.jpg

Last edited:
"EON" by JOSE CABRAL de BRAGA - Quebec

When I first received this folder, I realized I had an impossible task in getting decent images, given it's construction and content. But I still put up images in this thread. My point is only that these new and so, so improved images are the same knife as before, but the knife deserves to be seen in all it's color and dimension. So here is "EON" by the maker of movie swords, handles for "Predator" and "Highlander" movies and sequels:

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Boy Bob, not one inch of that is not engraved or etched out, the amount of time that went into that just blows my mind. Thanks again for sharing pictures of this masterpiece!

Making it even a bit more incredible a piece, there are areas within the folder's side interiors that glow in the dark. It's really spellbinding when it's something you see every day, and notice something new.

NOTE:It should be pointed out that there is a huge difference in the detail colors of the first, earlier posts (my orig images) and the actual folder. What you are now seeing are the true, actual colors. The maker even commented about Coop's work with the color:

"Pictures look great…. I remember having to twist it under different angles to catch all those colours variations …. He successfully got them all in these shots … He's good …!"

Last edited:
I like to share this beauty I received last week. It was a CG HUCK from Busse. I requested Josh from Razor Edge Knives to beadblast the coating off before it was shipped to Ban Tang to thin the edge and give it a mirror convex edge. I love the end result very much.

35751674226_0b10583f1a_k_d.jpg

35751674676_52d05dbf3a_k_d.jpg

35751676686_093ec4afad_k_d.jpg

Open spine sheath from Mashed Cat Outfitters.

35751675186_4c2c477c4c_k_d.jpg

I really hope Nate and Lorien will release a Light Khukuri in the future in D3V. A Light Chopper equivalent of a 10" Khukuri. I will be all over it. I trust the members here will be too. Bring it on!!

Don

^^^While I personally have no interest in this style, I would LOVE to see NtM work out the machining details on that recurve. What an awesome task that would be and if anyone can do it justice, it's him. Yes...bring it on!!

I like to share this beauty I received last week. It was a CG HUCK from Busse. I requested Josh from Razor Edge Knives to beadblast the coating off before it was shipped to Ban Tang to thin the edge and give it a mirror convex edge. I love the end result very much.

35751674226_0b10583f1a_k_d.jpg

35751674676_52d05dbf3a_k_d.jpg

35751676686_093ec4afad_k_d.jpg

Open spine sheath from Mashed Cat Outfitters.

35751675186_4c2c477c4c_k_d.jpg

I really hope Nate and Lorien will release a Light Khukuri in the future in D3V. A Light Chopper equivalent of a 10" Khukuri. I will be all over it. I trust the members here will be too. Bring it on!!

Don

Beautiful blade. The beadblast finish looks nice, it goes great with Ban's awesome zero convex edge, and that open spine sheath from Eric looks perfect!
PS: I would love a CPK Khukuri too. :)

Last edited:
Back