Best Benchmade Knife

BUGOUT! After upgrading the scales and comparing to my 940-1, I'm not sure my 940/943 knives will see my pocket again. The blade shape, size, everything is just perfect. This might now be the most practical EDC I own (along side the Chaparral), and definitely one of my favorite BMs.

Vs8Mxfv.jpg

The bugout seems like a prime candidate for a handle upgrade. How much weight did those carbon fibre scales add?

The bugout seems like a prime candidate for a handle upgrade. How much weight did those carbon fibre scales add?
1.95oz with the stock clip on my scale. Somehow forgot to measure before the swap. Yes, the 535-1 will an rotation killer for sure.

Last edited:
Hey CP!!
There is one VERY good reason why I have so many......3 sons that love knives!! Let me clarify!!! They love ‘borrowing’ my knives!! And I don’t mind one bit!! I usually get to see them again......when they need sharpening!!
Cute kids!!
:p
Joe

Haha yeah I can see how that works Joe :D
I know what you mean, one of my reasons for having a bunch of folders is for my 2 boys, though the youngest at two and a half doesn't yet grasp how cool it is that I got him a 484-1 when he was born. :thumbsup:

I’ll tell ya something......our hobbies are a great deal of fun! But when our children get into them with us??? They are even more fun!!
More expensive, but worth every dime!
Joe

I know what you mean, one of my reasons for having a bunch of folders is for my 2 boys, though the youngest at two and a half doesn't yet grasp how cool it is that I got him a 484-1 when he was born. :thumbsup:

My 4 yr old son (Maxwell) still can't grasp how cool it is that he has an Elmax Kershaw Blur NiB waiting for him, or the G&G Hawk Mudd with green liners and Elmax blade I will eventually hand him down...

Wait till you see the smile on his face when he’s old enough for you too hand it to him brother!!
It’s a combination of dad trusting him with his own knife and getting an awesome gift!!
The look is priceless!!
Joe

My 4 yr old son (Maxwell) still can't grasp how cool it is that he has an Elmax Kershaw Blur NiB waiting for him, or the G&G Hawk Mudd with green liners and Elmax blade I will eventually hand him down...

I have a couple “hard use” folders, but the only brute folder that is strapped to one of my packs is the Adamas. Minus the ones that are put away and have sentimental value, I recently sold off all my Benchmade collection.

Maybe I have bad luck, but I got sick and tired of getting knives from the factory with piss poor grinds and blades that were no where near centered.

In my opinion the criticism of Benchmade's quality control is greatly overstated. As with any critique, a very vocal minority can shout their negative opinion far loudly that the satisfied contentment of the majority. I'm a little baffled about the Benchmade hate because the QC critics seem to almost take it personal or have an agenda. That could certainly be a matter of perception on my part. One thing is for certain: if anyone ever makes an absolute statement ( X always has terrible Y ), you can be certain that statement is always wrong some of the time. ;)

The fact of the matter is Benchmade's "out the door QC" probably lags behind their peer rivals: Spyderco and KAI. I'd rate them, from best to worse as Spyderco, KAI and Benchmade.

In the matter of service and support the ranking flips. I see it as Benchmade, KAI and Spyderco.

Mind you, none of these brands are deserving of condemnation as the differences are mild and well within the realm of expectations. Each wins in some areas and loses out in others. It's normal. They're all great brands.

Bluntly: Benchmade hatred is an inflated internet meme and their knives can be bought with confidence.

In terms of my suggestion for "best" Benchmade under $200, I'd have to go with the G10/20CV Grip. Choose either full-sized or mini, hole or thumbstuds and you'll have a terrific knife. If for some reason the Grip just doesn't do it for you, look at the 940/943 series.

To all readers: What @Hackenslash says above is correct. Ignore the smoke being blown so furiously by so many others in this thread.

I like my 490, it's auto like with touch the flipper instant opening, locks open and closed if desired, S90V steel, weighs 2.88 oz. and it's still got a 3 1/4" blade. Blade is perfectly centered no F&F issues. One of my favorite Benchmades. A bit pricey but I found mine on eBay BNIB for 158.00 shipped.

1e0zl3.jpg

Because this forum is predominately Spyderco-centric, and some feel they have to put down Benchmade to make Spyderco look better. I think Spyderco can do just fine on their own merits without disparaging others. From what I've read Sal shares that view, but obviously some view things differently.

This is very much so a pro-Spyderco forum. A title that has been earned, I might add.

To me this is the main difference between BM & Spyderco regarding QC. Spydercos almost always come out of the box close to perfectly centered. However the action needs to be tweaked. Herein lies the rub. Every non lockback Spyderco I've had to adjust to get it so it will work like a proper Spydie (i.e. thumb & finger flick, Spydie drop). Once adjusted to get that "perfect" action It usually winds up off center, and obviously favoring one side (especially the PM2). Since It is working perfectly I have no problem with this. As long as the blade doesn't touch the liners the centering is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to get it where I like it.

Benchmades, on the other hand arrive a bit off center with almost perfect action right out of the box. If not perfect I will use some lube, and cycle it for awhile before I touch it with a torx, and that usually takes care of it.

I have received knives with poor grinds, plus some major duds from both companies. A 581 with poor HT at the tip. A PM2 with a washer missing. Customer service for both companies took care of it and gave me zero problems.

Again, these are MY experiences. YMMV.
To the OP. You really can't go wrong buying a knife from any of "the Big Three" brands. So shop with confidence.
My recommendation would be a de-assisted 581 barrage. It's my favorite production knife. I've beat the hell out of mine, and it still looks great!

I like that arcane, used to be called amicus i think. Slicer kind of a grind with s90v is sweet. I am interested to know how stable the edge will be with some moderate use. I hope very stable. I keep going back and forth between s90v and m390 as favorite edc steel for folder. Only thing that turned me off of arcane/amicus was it takes two hands to close or one hand and one thigh.

44AD58F2-FCFA-4DB9-B680-5C1A93CEC717.jpeg 7BA3C922-175E-42D1-B467-EA1CD6C82092.jpeg

Again, these are MY experiences. YMMV.
To the OP. You really can't go wrong buying a knife from any of "the Big Three" brands. So shop with confidence.
My recommendation would be a de-assisted 581 barrage. It's my favorite production knife. I've beat the hell out of mine, and it still looks great![/QUOTE]

The 581 was the second BM I purchased! I think it is one of their best! Between the blade profile and the steel, the build quality and the way it feels in hand........excellent!
I also picked up a 586....another great one!
Had custom scales put on both.
Joe

I am partial to the 940, -1 and -2 specifically. Maybe because it's the only benchmades I have ordered and received a knife I didn't need to send back or at least fiddle/fix. But the 940 series with deep carry clip is an awesome knife.

I don’t know about ‘best’, but my favourite is the 710, whether in D2 or M390. I also have a soft spot for the 275, and a few others.

I recently bought a 940-1501, and a Ritter Grip Full size. So far I love the 940-1501, and the 552-1401 is with Benchmade for some repairs.

The 940-1501 was really tight out of the box the. I certainly couldn't get it to swing like you see on the youtube videos, and it actually was a bit of a hand exercise to get it to close. I struggled with the pivot pin trying to get it to turn, and eventually got out my soldering iron and heated it for about 1 minute @ 350F (basically until the back side of the pivot felt warm). This released the loctite. I've gotten it amazingly smooth now that I've loosened it a bit. No blade play, perfectly centered, and swings open and closed like a dream, I would imagine what a balisong would feel like. BM also sent me a deep carry clip. Stock the deep carry clip didn't really press hard against the scales, so I took it off and hand bent it, now the knife feels secure in my pocket.

The Ritter Grip (552-1401) came out of the box with a very smooth action, but a uncentered blade, not touching the liners, but quite close. In addition, the detent seemed pretty weak, and I could get it to swing open with a wrist flick. I'm imagining this knife is reflective of their QC about 2 years ago. I wasn't able to get the knife centered playing with the scales either and pivot either, so I sent it back to Benchmade to have it straightened out.

Overall I love the 940. I will admit, I don't have the most experience with knives, but I've looked and played with a lot of them. To me, this knife is different in a very unique way, upon holding it you realize that it is greater than the sum of its parts. This brings me a lot of pleasure, as I can feel the designers intentions being transmitted into my hand.

Benchmade 940-1 hands down, love the blade shape and light carbon fiber. Cheap? Mini grip. Big? Benchmade 710

Benchmade 940-1 hands down, love the blade shape and light carbon fiber. Cheap? Mini grip. Big? Benchmade 710

I don't know, if I want a Big Beautiful Benchmade, the Contego is pretty compelling. The 710 is excellent, but feels less "LOL Huge" than the Contego, somehow.

Back