Best Custom Slipjoint Makers

I realize that this is a loaded question and it may have been asked a million times already, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for in a search. If you were pressed to list the top 3 traditional custom slipjoint makers, who would they be? I'm not looking for the definitive answer and I know that there will be a lot of opinions here - which is great. I'm really just wondering if there is a general consensus on who the top tier makers are.

Thanks!

My favorites.

Todd Davison.
John Lloyd.
Chuck Gedraitis.

No particular order. That's my favorites but I am very new to the custom knife game.

It seems like there are so many good ones right now. I can't imagine a list of top slipjoint makers that doesn't have Tony and Reese Bose at the very top. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could argue with that. Then I can think of at least 5 or 6 who could all pretty much slide into that third spot.

From what I've seen of their aesthetic style and quality some of my favorites are Bret Dowell, Ken Erickson, Kerry Hampton, and Enrique Pena (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some right now). My tastes tend to fall to people doing clean classic lines and especially ones who work in what I personally think of as the Bose style, often using Bose patterns.

I think there are some other great makers who's aesthetic style just doesn't fit my eye or who's work I just haven't had the chance to really experience or look into yet.

The question is pretty subjective, loaded is a good descriptor. If you're curious who has so many orders backed up he's not taking anymore, then that might be one indicator of "best". Another might be who does the most complicated patterns? Maybe whose work fetches the highest prices? Another might be who uses the best steel and handle materials? Get my drift?

I think any of the makers whose knives are posted on this sub-forum, and many that aren't, can make a knife that is darn near perfect, will end up being a prized possession and will outlast it's owner. There are many slip joint makers that are right at the pinnacle of the knife makers art. I think it's pretty hard, if not impossible, to come up with a meaningful list of the best.

I think any of the makers whose knives are posted on this sub-forum, and many that aren't, can make a knife that is darn near perfect, will end up being a prized possession and will outlast it's owner. There are many slip joint makers that are right at the pinnacle of the knife makers art. I think it's pretty hard, if not impossible, to come up with a meaningful list of the best.

Very well stated Gary. :thumbup:

I would say Elliot, aka "Blues"---Oh my bad, you said makers :eek: Elliot just owns all of them :p

Paul

I think that given the skill it takes to make a very good slipjoint compared to say the average fixed blade, I think that all of the makers that routinely sell out all of their stock are pretty dang good! It all comes down to design I guess.

I would say Elliot, aka "Blues"---Oh my bad, you said makers :eek: Elliot just owns all of them :p

Paul

Looking at his pics it sure seems like it. One heckuva nice collection, that he is humble about to boot.

Every list will include Tony Bose as number 1. That's a given. No idea who would take over the number 2 and 3 spots.

I've only had a couple custom slipjoints. All were well made in their own rights.

I think Brad and Gary already gave you the right answers.
Yet...
On this forum, you will find many "dedicated" knifemaker threads, where you can see pictures, read opinions, and make up your mind. To me, the matter of "quality" is the least thing you should be concerned about. Instead, "style" is what should lead your choice, and if you browse those threads, it won't be hard for you to understand what I'm talking about.
The rest, is just a matter of personal taste :)

Fausto
:cool:

Todd Davison gets my vote for best "bang for your buck".
I own two of Todd's slip joints and I have yet to find better F&F on a custom knife.
Tony Bose is definitely the most popular.

In addition to the quality names already mentioned, you can add Don Hanson III, Mike Zscherny, Joel Chamblin, Riuchi Kawamura, Jerry Halfrich, and I'm sure many others.

So many variables that go into "best" like Gary said. Maybe you can tell us what your important qualities are. For example, does price matter and do you have a price range to stay in? Are you looking for a user or more of a collector's piece for the safe? Or maybe somewhere in the middle like best bang for the buck? For me, my budget limits the ones I can go after so I have found several makers that make outstanding quality for what I can currently afford.

Last edited:
I am glad this thread has been started, it will be enjoyable to discover new makers.

There are some super makers here. I never imagined when I got "involved" with slip joints that I'd ever spend so much money on one knife. I took a slip joint class with Bill Ruple and Rusty Preston in TX and met Enrique Pena while there. Once I saw what went into hand making a slipjoint I didn't have a big problem putting the money into a custom knife. I've been lucky enough to get a few of the custom makers knives between their schedules and my budget. My first custom was made by Brent Cramer. It was exactly what I asked for and the knife is a perfect teardrop spear. Brent was super to work with on the idea. I have an Ohta that has some wicked jigged bone, super craftsmanship and is very tight when open. It's a 109 in a little larger size that's now his model 133. I was on Pena's list for a period of time and got a Zulu Sprear with beautiful jigged bone. It opens like glass on glass. It's a cool thing to meet the person who made your knife. It adds a personal touch to the knife. My most recent one is also a Zulu Spear made by Oeser. It's perfect and the detail of his work is evident. I really like his use of different colors and materials. He's like no other in that respect.

A few I'm interested in are Ruple, Preston, Davison and a Laconico fixed blade.

Maybe take a look around and find a maker or two with a style you like and hit it!

Loaded question for sure. I might want to ask are you looking for a general consensus on who does the best job or on who you might actually get something from.

Right now my favorite makers, in my price range, that I might actually get something from are: John Lloyd, Todd Davison (although it usually has to come from the secondary market), and Jerod Oeser.

I'd love to have something from Enrique Pena but I need to win the lottery. I'd love to have something else from Kerry Hampton but I think his backlog is up to ten years now (and even if it isn't I don't want him to burn out just to make me another knife). Then there are several more that I know I can't afford - especially since it seems like I fall for their multi-bladed cattle knives and such.

Oh, well.

So many variables that go into "best" like Gary said. Maybe you can tell us what your important qualities are. For example, does price matter and do you have a price range to stay in? Are you looking for a user or more of a collector's piece for the safe? Or maybe somewhere in the middle like best bang for the buck? For me, my budget limits the ones I can go after so I have found several makers that make outstanding quality for what I can currently afford.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! My question was driven by two things - my recent increase in interest in simple classic slip joints, and a general curiosity about whether there was an obvious short list of makers preferred by most. I should have realized the impossibility of answering the latter question definitively, obviously there are too many excellent makers and a broad spectrum of tastes and preferences. Still, I appreciate the info as it gives me some names to research and discover more about.

As far as what I'm looking for…well, that's easy enough for me to answer as I'm pretty specific about that. I usually buy the best that I can afford and hope that it serves me well for a long time. So budget is less of an issue than quality, attention to detail, fit and finish, design and blade size. What I'd like to find is:

- Something classic, along the lines of what Tony Bose does (and it certainly could be a Tony Bose, I admire his work immensely).
- I intend to keep it and carry/use it daily. It will not be a collector's piece, safe queen, etc. Price is not a factor regardless of this purpose.
- I have a great appreciation for detail work, so the more attention paid to this, the better.
- Single blade preferred, two blades ok. But it's going to live in my pocket, so nothing too bulky.
- Stag handles, ivory or even modern materials considered. Nothing too loud or outlandish though. Again, classic or modern take on classic preferred.
- Up to a 3" blade size preferred. If it's a tiny bit larger, that's ok, but I prefer the smaller blades in general.
- It must have a lanyard hole. I have lost too many knives over the years from slipping out of shallow pockets, so I affix a small chain to them now and attach it to my belt loop - problem solved, never lost once since. So the lanyard hole is key and critical to me and that usually means single bolster, which is ok and actually preferred. But not all makers offer the hole, so that rules out quite a few I suppose.

I have a Hiroaki Ohta that is beautiful and I love it. But I'm looking for a step up from even that. As I said, I like Tony and Reese Bose, I've seen some of Jerry Halfrich's work that's very nice as well as some pretty spectacular Ryuichi Kawamura. Any other thoughts and suggestions based on these rather rigid parameters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

If you could find a Tony or Reece Bose that meets your requirements, look no further. Problem is Tony doesn't take orders and Reece is 7+ years wait.

Enrique Pena is the best on the planet who is taking orders that you will get in a reasonable time frame. Craig Brewer next, none better at the price. Todd Davison makes a great knife for the money and would probably be the fastest delivery of exactly what you want. Mike Zscherny deserves a mention for his high quality work.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you decide.

Back