Best Custom Slipjoint Makers

I am fortunate enough to own traditional folders from most of the makers mentioned so far, that being said, I concur with almost any of the previously mentioned makers, Bose Boys, Pena, Erickson.

I will limit my comments to the makers that I consider to be slightly under that top tier, I am mean SLIGHTLY under! Craig Brewer, Jared Oeser, Keith Johnson, Kerry Hampton these guys make fabulous knives for the money.
There are so many truly talented makers in this specific area it's difficult to choose, but any of these will do you proud.

It's fun deciding...
Jeff

Some other folks not mentioned yet but post here are Ken Erickson, Bret Dowell, and Rick Menefee. You may want to check out their threads on their knives. Have you picked a pattern you want and blade shape? I could be wrong but I don't think it would be too difficult for a maker to add a lanyard tube to the pattern you want (depending on the size of the pattern of course) as I've even had it done to production multi blade knives that didn't have it in the first place. A skilled maker should be able to incorporate one easily imho.

Edit: I see Ken's been mentioned already but another mention won't hurt :)

Haven't seen Hiroaki Ohta mentioned in this thread...

Another endorsement for Ohta. His stag is like from another age, nor do you have to wait half a lifetime to get one of his knives. I've been astounded by his skill, the knife is of unbelievable quality, so good I will order another but in a different form.

Of course, to say who is the 'best' is impossible, it's just who has pleased you the most and who impressed you. Ohta gets my vote without hesitation. I would also mention Gilles at Fontenille-Pataud, whilst the company may not strictly/pedantically be called custom maker, you order your knife and the quality is exceptional at a very credible price. Most costly is certainly not always best in this field and others...

Gene Wiseman, makes a superb Sodbuster from what I understand. Also does nice looking Barlows too. I have one of his Barlows in route and will be sure to post my findings when it arrives. Very humble and nice guy to deal with, competitive prices too, and willing to make sure every little detail is okay with you. He uses D2 exclusively which is fine with me. One of my favorite steels too. Not to mention he's an Okie.

John,
You're right.....Craig Brewer is making some beauts! He's a super guy and is in the following of Ruple, Preston and Pena.
If you could find a Tony or Reece Bose that meets your requirements, look no further. Problem is Tony doesn't take orders and Reece is 7+ years wait.

Enrique Pena is the best on the planet who is taking orders that you will get in a reasonable time frame. Craig Brewer next, none better at the price. Todd Davison makes a great knife for the money and would probably be the fastest delivery of exactly what you want. Mike Zscherny deserves a mention for his high quality work.

Good luck with your search, let us know what you decide.

I would say from judging their pics. Have yet to handle one as I cannot bring myself to buying one yet.

Davison
Menefee
Ohta
Lloyd
and many others I am forgetting

Some not yet mentioned (unless I missed them) that I have had great experiences with:
Joe Allen;
Doc Hagen; and
Al Warren.

One that I forgot in my previous post is Tom Ploppert, excellent craftsman. Check out his website...

Jeff

This is great guys - super helpful info here! I made a list of all the makers mentioned in this thread and have been off and running scouring the web for info and availability at various dealers, etc. I have seen a lot that are gorgeous but that fall just slightly short of my parameters and I almost adjusted my parameters because of it - that's how tempting it has been! But I stayed true to my needs and made a first leap on this Ohta (these are dealer photos, I don't have the knife in my possession yet - but it arrives this week):

OhtaStag1_zps2e1a7c9a.jpg

OhtaStag2_zpsb96eafcd.jpg

This will be my second Ohta, this one being my first and only custom slippy:

Ohtacamper-1_zps9bb99b63.jpg

I hadn't planned on getting another Ohta, want to mix it up some. But I couldn't help it...love the stag, the blade shape, the size and yep…that lanyard hole! It hit the nail on the head of all my parameters! I'm still on the hunt though…this is only the beginning! I realize that this is going to be a journey and not simply a destination! And despite making a first purchase, I'm not in a hurry here - I'm looking forward to what else I can uncover out there!

The next step is visual…so feel free to post pics of your absolute favorites and tell me what you like about them and what's next on your list!

Thanks again all…you guys rock!!!

Congrats on your latest acquisition. Hiroaki Ohta makes a fine knife. Not quite the "best," but there are very few who are better.

You chose an excellent pattern. Here's a picture of mine to whet your appetite.

edcs.jpg

- Christian

Ohta makes some definite beauties.
e2e5ureb.jpg

Should've bit the bullet and dug deep for this one. Still regret it. A member here wanted to sell it to me, couldn't wing it at the time. Can't now but I still should've gotten it.

Last edited:
Congrats on your latest acquisition. Hiroaki Ohta makes a fine knife. Not quite the "best," but there are very few who are better.

You chose an excellent pattern. Here's a picture of mine to whet your appetite.

edcs.jpg

- Christian

Thanks! That picture makes me even more excited to receive mine!!! :biggrin:

I've had experience with Ken Erickson, who makes an absolutely peerless pocket knife, and often recreates very interesting and classic historical patterns; and Kerry Hampton, who has DEFINITELY come into his own as a custom maker, and now rivals the "big names" of the business.
My favorite has got to be John Lloyd. I really enjoy his unique patterns, and his cover materials are out of this world.

Here are a few photos of my 3 customs: Erickson EDC, Lloyd toothpick, and Hampton swayback.

KEedcyellow.jpg

90e57622-35f9-4345-9769-6a16351c82fd.jpg

2swaybacks.jpg

Regards,
Alex

I think Ken Erickson makes some beautiful custom slip joint knives but for my first I went with Todd Davison. Already talking to him about another now.
2rert4w.jpg

Back