Best Custom Slipjoint Makers

Concerning Mr.BLUES,
I've had the honor & pleasure of knowing him before ....he became famous! He was a great guy when he lived in Fl. & he still is....only time I get to see him now is at BLADE.....& he's ALWAYS on the run to get a new slippie....Lordy....if I sold just a small portion of his collection....ahhhh,my dream $$$ retirement would come true! Blues is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet!
Jim

Jared oeser makes some lovely slip joints. They seem a little hard to get one and are a little spendy but they sure look nice.

I don't own a custom slipjoint, but if I ordered one, it would have to have some file work done along the bottom for me at least. Stuff like that is what sets the custom above the very good GEC factory knives.

If you’re gonna mention a maker, at least have the respect to spell their names correctly.
Especially when you classify them under “honorable mention”.

Mike Zscherny
John Lloyd
Rick Menefee
Bret (not Bred) Dowell

*in my opinion this thread is a really a rotten can of worms anyways

Last edited:
My 2 favourites are Tim Britton, and Bobby Toole. Best bang for your buck IMHO.
Many excellent makers already listed, most out of my price range.
Happy Hunting, get to Blade show if you can!

Agreed on Gene Shadley. This Shadley Senator is the first custom slipjoint I bought. For less than you might think, you too can own a Senator.

The finish is so fine and highly polished that I began to prefer the as ground finish, but Mr. Shadley is a class act and does an amazing job. No half stop on this one. I am not sure he uses them.

ShadleySenator by sc-sld, on Flickr

The work of Jason Taber and Ricardo Romano seems to hog my pocket most days.

Agreed on Gene Shadley. This Shadley Senator is the first custom slipjoint I bought. For less than you might think, you too can own a Senator.

The finish is so fine and highly polished that I began to prefer the as ground finish, but Mr. Shadley is a class act and does an amazing job. No half stop on this one. I am not sure he uses them.

ShadleySenator by sc-sld, on Flickr

Beautiful knife.

Gene does use half stops on some patterns. He'll do nearly anything you request.

Gene uses tolerances to within 0.001" without machines. All by hand. He heat treats his own steel too. I liken his knives to the same precision & functional elegance of mechanical watches.

Back