1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Best EDC for under $40???

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by brianmx777, May 14, 2009.

1. brianmx777

brianmx777

May 12, 2009
    Hey.. wondering what you guys think is the best every day carry knife for under or around $40?? Thanks.

2. chocochoco

chocochoco

Apr 28, 2009
    byrds, boker subcom/keycom/trance, tenacious, ka-bar doziers, BM monochrome, pikas, kershaw skyline, ontario rat folder 1

3. dispatch 510

dispatch 510

May 17, 2005
    Buck 110 from WW.

4. Planterz

Planterz Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Spyderco Tenacious or any Byrd
    Kershaw Leek/Storm/JYD/Needs Work/Zing
    Benchmade Monochrome/Pika

5. Biginboca

Biginboca Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Spyderco Tenacious for me!

6. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Boker Trance.

7. the kid

the kid

May 5, 2008
    I'd like to add:

Böker Hyper
    CRKT Drifter
    Victorinox whatever
    Buck Nobleman
    Kershaw Needs Work
    Blade-Tech Ganyana lite
    Browning Ice storm

8. peanuts

peanuts

Dec 9, 2007
    +1 on the kabar dozier, and whislt I have never had one, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Spyderco Tenacious. I think pretty much every review I have watched/read was glowing.

9. brianmx777

brianmx777

May 12, 2009
    What do you guys think about the Kershaw O SO Sweet??

10. Petros

Petros

Feb 12, 2009
    +1 for the Boker Trance, especially the drop point version. Best bang for buck I've handled for a long time, and it's carried in preference to folders from BM and Spyderco and Buck - great compromise of concealability and great ergonomics, all for less than $30 :cool:

11. Entreri

Entreri

Aug 29, 2008
    Haven't had any experience with that knife in particular, but Kershaw makes a great blade at a great price. Right around the $40 range, you could pick up a Leek, or a Needs Work, both of which I have and love, and if I'm not mistaken, wally world is carrying Kershaws for even less now. Definitely something to look into.

12. Sep

Sep

Mar 14, 2009
    You said "around" $40; I assume anything under $50 will be considered. In that case Buck Vantage Pro (S30V steel) and Browning Ice Storm (VG-10 steel) will be the best value.

If you absolutely can't go over $40, any of the knives mentioned in previous posts will serve you well.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  13. Toyz

Toyz

Nov 2, 2006
    Under $50 - +1 for Buck Vantage Pro

Under $40 - +1 for Spyderco Tenacious

14. Tripton

Tripton

May 26, 2008
    Well, everyone needs a Victorinox SAK. Lots of them are under $40.

15. Masteroffajitas

Masteroffajitas Banned BANNED

Oct 7, 2008
    Spyderco Native is the best knife for $40. But I'm not under 40...

16. coolhand68

coolhand68 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Spyderco Native or Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara, Kershaw Scallion.

17. J.Mattson

J.Mattson

Sep 10, 2007
    The byrd Cara Cara G10 makes a fantastic edc. Its way less then $40, strong, has decent steel, good ergonomics, decent fit and finish. Basically a little tank for the less then the price of a tank of gas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Buck 110 gets my vote. There are lots and lots and lots of great blades out there in the sub $40 range depending on what you need. A nice SAK, locking or not, might be the best bang for your buck when it comes to a knife that can do real work with real dedicated tools. The one-hand Trekker gets a lot of love. My go-to SAK tends to waffle between the very stout Farmer and the very practical Climber.

If you are looking for a heavy duty classic folder, I still have to say the Buck 110. Generally under 30 dollars, classic design, great materials, great warranty, and can take some real abuse. I've seen my father do things to his that would make a lot of us knife knuts wince and break out into a cold sweat. scraping, light prying, etc. Heck, I've seen my old man use it to turn a screw in a pinch then flip it over and use it as a hammer. I buy him a new one about every 5 years for his birthday. It's not because the other ones are worn out...I just think they they deserve a nice retirement after such a rough work life;)

19. peanuts

peanuts

Dec 9, 2007
    Oh yeah, the byrd pictured would be an awsome choice too. Any byrd for that matter, they are a more budget oriented line owned by Spyderco. Still excellent quality though, I am a big fan of the Byrd line.

20. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER

Nov 24, 2008
    the spy tenacious rocks....