Best father's day knife for $30 ?

I would like to gift knives to 3 father's I know who don't have or carry a pocketknife. I want to keep price down for obvious reasons. So far I have these on the possible list to buy....
-Buck 110 from Wal-Mart. $35
-Buck 110 lightweight $30
-BYRD knife. $30
-SAK tinker. $20

Any others I might be missing?.......

SAK Tinker would be my choice. When I think of Dad, I think of someone that needs something to cut, pry, and use as a screwdriver.... no task more important than the other... so I think most dads would enjoy a type of SAK, but I’d avoid the ones with the corkscrew... I don’t think I’ve ever used it.

The Sodbuster is a great recommendation. Case knives make fine gifts. If they don't already carry a knife, they might prefer a Buck 112 Slim over a 110 classic or LT.

I have to agree with eveled. Even though most days I have a Buck 110 riding on my hip, a casual knife user would appreciate a SAK.
Anytime I give a SAK as a gift , the person I gave it to carries it. However, I'd also consider an Alox Pioneer or classic. But the tinker is a good choice too.

Case sodbuster jr. I have a few nice knives and seem to carry the sodbuster alot.

I'd have to go with an Alox Solo or an Opinel, given the $30 price cap. The Solo is probably more likely to be carried as a first knife, IMO... but, heck, with 3 recipients, get each one a different knife. (Then you can have fun deciding which person gets which knife, lol)

I'll add the Buck 425 to the consideration list. It is small and light so that may help in the carry department since they don't currently. It locks so that might reassure them. It's thin and slicey and is a really good knife. Then maybe one or more of them gets hooked and starts moving up.

This one is from the early 90's:
XcFP9Ay.jpg

Buck Vantage Select
Gerber suspension multitool
Buck 110
Buck paklite fixed blade

If considering a multitool vs standard knife, take a look at the Leatherman Squirt Ps4. Small knife will get you into any package. But the pliers, small scissors, screw drivers, file, and bottle opener is just way too handy to overlook. Makes a great gift.

22_tools.png

MNc4KfP.jpg

Back