Best father's day knife for $30 ?

Oh My! Plenty of options here for sure.. all good selections. I have owned knives from $20.00 to $1200.00. All good knives. I just spoke to my best friend last night about this particular knife. It is the Ontario Rat 1 , It often can be easily found for $28.00 in D2 Steel! I literally stabbed and sliced (52) 80 lb bags of concrete for some patio projects. So some 4200 lbs concrete total. This is not the only hazard this knife has been put through. Disassembled, cleaned, and sharpened all in 20 min. IMHO The absolute best value for a pocket knife that will be found today. Its not the only one but definitely ranks at the top for quality and value.
IMG_1192.JPG

SAK.
Maybe one with scissors like the Huntsman/Fieldmaster. The scissors come in mighty handy more times than you would think.
(for example: cutting a loose thread from their lady's garment. The scissors is a better choice than a knife blade. The SAK scissors are also good for a fingernail trimming.)

I would say a rat 1 or 2 depending on thier hand size and assumed usage.
These 2 knives are just dang awesome.

the KABAR Dozier folder is a steal for 20 bucks.

the Buck 112 slim select is a another steal for 20 bucks !

I vote for the Tinker also.. good knife for a person who doesn't carry. You may also do a tutorial on the extra uses for each implement. SAK encourages the imagination.

Buck 110 seems large for someone not use to carrying a knife. Of the listed knives, I'd go with the SAK. I like a super tinker with the scissors and the Philips.

Buck knives, OKC, et al, are absolutely a good idea, however, I have to side with a SAK as well. Especially if the ones you are giving knives to aren't knife snobs like most of us here, would probably appreciate a "multi-toolish" type of knife.

edit: I never paid much attention to Leatherman, but that certainly may be an idea.

I have 2 Buck 110s and never carry them anymore. I got a Byrd Harrier 2 in November and I would prefer that much more than a 110. I carry the Byrd often when I don't want to lose something nicer, like the mini grip I donated to the forest last fall. The Byrd grows on me more and more. It looks really funky IMO, but it does what a knife should do quite well.

Rat 1! Owning knives That cost 30-40 times as much, my rat 1 still gets thrown in rotation and is a hell of a user. Really, really great knife for the price!

The Vic Tinker would be my choice and has been for me personally for 30 years. It does all the normal stuff and the price is right. The Buck 110 is sort of "big" and more something for work or hunting as far as I'm concerned these days. So, it depends on what kind of lives these "fathers" lead.

I would like to gift knives to 3 father's I know who don't have or carry a pocketknife. I want to keep price down for obvious reasons. So far I have these on the possible list to buy....
-Buck 110 from Wal-Mart. $35
-Buck 110 lightweight $30
-BYRD knife. $30
-SAK tinker. $20

Any others I might be missing?.......
You can't beat the $20 Buck 110lt and I've gifted a few, but for someone who's normally not carrying a knife I'd go with something smaller.

I'd go with the Buck 524 alumni for about $18 from BladeHQ, it's available in 4 different colors, disappears in pocket, and it's a knife that can be seen as useful in everyday life by someone who doesn't normally carry a knife.
Any Vic they might just see as a multitool and leave it in a junk drawer or something, they might not but as someone who's bought knives for non knife people before I know little ones often end up being carried when larger ones weren't.

You have received lots of good suggestions and I’d like to give one more. The medium stockman is a fantastic option for a dad that doesn’t already carry a knife. Classic, timeless and ever so handy.
Of the available in today’s market place I think you would be hard pressed to beat the Buck 303. Its small, light weight and punches above its weight class. It is a bit above your price request but well worth the price bump. It is a rather plain jane non threatening little knife that will never be out of place.
Anyway just a suggestion. Good luck with your search and good on you for the generous gifts you are giving.

My bad, I’d be waaaay more likely to know what a cadet costs if they’d ditch the nail file and give us scissors lol
A lot of folks here would like to see a CadetX offered. The Cadet as is a fine little knife and worth the extra bucks. The Electrician is another good one.

I would like to gift knives to 3 father's... who don't have or carry a pocketknife....
Any others I might be missing?.......
a hefty knife might end up in storage.
lightness may encourage sctual carry.
leatherman micra or sog crosscut
is something handy and could be
attached to keys...
pocket knives hnmm, this perhaps?

I may be the only one but id pick them up some Byrd Cara Cara's. That knife literally got me back into knives. I used one for legitimately every cutting chore for years. I'd go with a meadow lark or cara cara for all three of them.

Back