Best knife brands?

Just wondering, what do you consider is the best knife brands? I know people will say "They're all good..." But seriously, we can rule out brands like CRKT, and Cold Steel.

I vote Spyderco and Benchmade.

Best at what..?

It's easy to write off companies like Cold Steel because they aren't very likeable, but they do represent very high value, and the Triad lock is a winner

This is a loaded question. Its like "whats the best brand of motor oil". Everyones opinion is different. My qualifications for the "best knife" are as follows.

Made in America
That will hold a shaving edge
Is full tang
Is one that YOU really like. Practical yes, but if you don't REALLY like it, you wont carry it.

I also have a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto plain blade, that I always carry. Love it.

I suspect that most people's answer would change if you narrowed the question down rather than having it as wide open as it is. I won't say they are the best, but the production knife brands whose products have most generally pleased me would have to include Benchmade and Bark River.

Agreed-need to be more specific-best folders, best fixed, best warranty, best bang for the buck, best to work for....

Best for What? As some of our other forumites have said, It really depends on what youre looking for and how much you want to pay. There are many companies that are the best at what they do and for the price they do it at. For Example: Mora...obviously well loved by many people and I'm sure a few people would venture to say Mora is the best but there would also be many who would sneer at the low price point of a mora and say a busse or a CRK or some other high priced knife is much better. You have to ask first what niche are we trying to fill and then the price youre competing at.

And you probably shouldn't count out CRKT or Cold Steel just yet cause plenty of people love those companies for what they are.

I'd eliminate Cold Steel and CRKT, too. Their knives aren't as high quality or well designed as others, heat treat and edge geometry aren't great, and they build cheaply overseas. CRKT considers 8Cr13Mov to be a "premium steel" (from a product description) and Cold Steel thinks that AUS-8 is a good steel for a $300 folder. I'd also eliminate Gerber for similar reasons.

For me the best brands are Kershaw (and ZT), Benchmade, Spyderco, Emerson, ESEE, Becker, Al Mar, Buck, and other similar mfgs.

This:

2ikrwjl.jpg

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster (gun). An elegant weapon, from a more civilized age.
Too bad you gotta make your own though.

This:

2ikrwjl.jpg

Not as clumsy or random as a blaster (gun). An elegant weapon, from a more civilized age.
Too bad you gotta make your own though.

Actually the main problem with that is that it has a push button and shoots out the front, so the government considers it an auto.

I'm looking forward to the spring assist version.

For me, it's Kabar & Becker, Ontario, Esee.

I like fixed blades more than folders, as i'm not too experienced with folder (yet!), but my experience with Kershaw has been great.

i dont think any company is the Best, but if im looking for a folder i instantly look at: Kershaw, Spyderco, Cold Steel, Victorinox, Wenger, Boker, Benchmade, Case, Buck (in no particular order)

for a fixed i look at: Ka-bar / BK&T, Esee, Condor, Ontario, the folder^^companys

there are so many more great companys, those are usually what comes to mind as to when i need a new knife and great products for great prices, some companys like Cold Steel have some crap like ninja stars and whatnot but they still make a solid strong workhorse folder at a price point i can afford

Back