Test ad

Best knife handle

What's your favorite knife handle (ignoring everything else about the knife, including the blade)? Criteria can be anything you want: comfort in hand, grip, handle material, etc. My favorite is the Spyderco Sage 5 handle in carbon fiber.

Velitrius

Gold Member
Assuming you mean "favorite" more than "best", I myself like the ol' stacked leather handle.

I have no idea why. It just speaks to me.

imgc00f51a58d22d9d35e746e2bda416_1__d095aea01e81b2529c276d4cb6977abebe132ea4_z1.jpg

P.C.E.

Gold Member
oakhXBy.jpg

leather wrapped handle is hands down my favorite.

vWjSYfd.jpg

AD-20 is probably one of the more comfortable handles of all my folder EDC blades, right or left hand - hammer or reverse grip.
Lots of real estate to grab on to and the clip doesn't really get in the way (at least for me).

Bastler

Gold Member
I prefer the least practical, wood, bone and stacked leather. Not as durable as synthetic materials, but will outlast me.

vznM3kg.jpg

Depends. Kraton for a FB hunting knife, such as CS Master Hunter or BM Puukko. These are great grips especially when wet/cold/bloody. Aesthetically, stacked leather, curly birch (Roselli), carbon fiber, wood (Buck 110) and good old FRN for sheer practicality and price.

For my folding knives I think the best handle is the Hogue Ritter (the large version).
Rounded solid G10 with checkered pattern. It's perfect for my hand.

For fixed knives I would say Carothers FK2 or DEK1.

Even on folders I have grown more fond of Micarta but well done carbon fiber is still a really attractive look like shred carbon fiber with a bit of a matte texture.

000Robert

Gold Member
I haven't held one yet, but I have a strong feeling that I will consider the Carothers DEK1 in Osage Orange as being the best.

I would like to put my greedy hands on a Resiprene C, like the one found in the Busse Basic line. Other than that, the handle in the Fallkniven S1 fills my hand nicely, provides some cushion and is warm to the touch even in winter.

Mikel

jbmonkey

Platinum Member
can't say i have a one particular favorite. just ones I really like.

for looks stag, elk. for use micarta.

For me, I like Indian Sambar stag.
2nd choice would be either canvas micarta in an earthy color, or a particularly good piece of lesser grade/animal stag--like red deer.

On a using knife, for looks, I like bone. Just not bleached pure white, I prefer some mineral content, or age, to provide some color, and character. Second, for looks, is stacked leather. My favorite is the SOG S1, with Randall a close second. Or maybe it's the other way around?

For practicality, I like hard synthetics. Micarta, in some flavor, primarily. My EDC fixed blade is black/maple Richlite, similar to paper micarta, as I understand it, and it holds up quite well. I don't baby it, and it does get knocked around. But I appreciate the advantages of FRN, G-10, etc., particularly when it comes to grip texturing and handle shaping. Not a fan of kraton, or other semi-soft synthetics.

Wood handles, for me, depend on the knife. Some knives are, and look, great in wood, others I might prefer something more durable. I do have several wood handled blades, tho.

I have never held one, but I really like the look of the Nick Wheeler bowie knife handle and I've heard they feel really good in the hand as well.

Ron Sabbagh

Platinum Member
I think Canvas Micarta is my favorite material and a knife handled by the old Loveless shop is amazing to hold. I'm not going to knock wood, I've got a few that are great to hold the wood figure can be beautiful.

large.jpg

:thumbsup::cool:

pvicenzi

Gold Member
I think Canvas Micarta is my favorite material and a knife handled by the old Loveless shop is amazing to hold. I'm not going to knock wood, I've got a few that are great to hold the wood figure can be beautiful.

large.jpg
My favorite handle shape as well. The material is less important, but I love a quality stag handle for aesthetics.

afishhunter

Basic Member
"Best" for what use? Fixed blade or folding?
Currently available, or widely used in the past, but no longer available due to restrictions/availability? (such as elephant ivory and real tortuous shell.)

The "best" for wear resistance and resistance to damage would be the stainless steel used on the old Camillus (and other contractors) Military issue "Demo Knife".
However, those slabs of stainless steel (or SAK's Alox) are not necessarily the "best" when its below 0 F or above 100 F.

I think for practicality, Delrin/Stagalon and Ebony might be "best".

Without a doubt, Celluloid is the worst.